Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690338
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: My armies on Mars - update March 16 2022 High Martian Kraag pg 7  (Read 23255 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Re: My armies on Mars - Parroom Station tripods page 4 U/D Feb 2020
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2020, 03:28:33 AM »
June was a good month for me as I finally picked up a paint brush again, and took a stab at my collection. This time around I decided to finally get some Barsoomian natives and wildlife.

The Green Martians are mostly from Tinman miniatures, with some converted Kroots.

The white apes are from Bronze Age.

For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: My armies on Mars - Barsoom natives/wildlife page 5 U/D July 2020
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2020, 09:46:58 AM »
I Like those :-* :-* :-*
Can you tell us mor about the conversions?

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »
Thank you

The conversion are not an original idea of mine, I believe I first saw them done by skrapwelder. They were assembled long before I discovered the Green Martians made by  Tinman. Like many items, they sat on my shelf for a few years, not even primed. However once I bought some Martians from Tinman they continued to sit on a shelf... :(

Finally got around to working on all my Green Martians and was very pleased to see how well they all worked together.

As far as the actual conversion, well let me first say I am not an adept sculpture. What I did was to hack away at the two torsos to try and make them fit together. I used Milliput to cover the seams, and, in some cases, I added some scrap plastic as a bit of armour to cover up the seam. 

I have attached some pictures of some recent work, inspired by this post. (life imitating art?) In this case I did much better than I did in the earlier conversions, as I managed to carve the two torso in such a way that they require no milliput! 

The beaks were filed down, and feathers removed, I would have liked to add tusks, but never got around to it.

Swords were from other GW bits and pieces that I have, and the large sword that one of them carries was made by carving down another weapon, maybe a gun, or maybe even just a sprue. It was so long ago, I have forgotten exactly what I used.

I have 4 of these conversions with maybe two more to do.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:40:54 PM by Menelduir »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2020, 06:07:52 PM »
Brill  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Re: My armies on Mars - WIP Japan Armoured Mechanical Conveyances
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »
Thought I would post these as they really are in progress, and might get done this week, might  ::)

Two are scatchbuilt/repurposed bits, and one is a Dystopian Legions tank.
The Legion tank has been sitting on a shelf for some time as it was missing a tread (there should have been 8 sections, only got 7) I solved the problem by cutting 1 of the 7 in half, and arranging the 3 1/2 segments per side so that the gap would appear at the bottom, where I can use scenic material to cover up the gap (I hope) 

The two bashed vehicles were, as usual, started some time ago. When I started work on them again I realized that I had not thought to build any way for the crew to view the outside world. The solution to this problem was the use of the slots from slot a bases, trimmed down and attached to the surface, I think they work well enough.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:31:26 PM by Menelduir »

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Support for my Japanese Landships.

Finally painted some old Parroom Station figures!
First up are four Tatsuhiro mechanized infantry. Primed and base coated years ago, but languishing on the shelf with the other Parroom figures.

Over the years I had managed to lose the hip joints for two of these figures, but I was able to create a substitute from a cheap dollar store figure in my parts box.

The small rotund robots had a similar story, in their case I had somehow managed to mislay their heads! So they too sat on a shelf waiting for a solution to their headless state. Thankfully I have used my isolation to clean up my gaming room and to sort through every box of stuff.

The last set of stuff painted this week are my Japanese smoke stalkers. These had had paint on them, but what was on them was not good, so all the colours were redone/refreshed, and the troops were all remounted on washer bases.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:56:46 PM by Menelduir »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
These all look great, especially the small rotund robots and the crazy tanks!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Splendid VSF  :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
very nice :-* :-* :-*

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Re: Armies on Mars - U/D Aug 19 Smoke Discharger & Chasseurs D'Afrique/Mars
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:49 PM »
Up next some a heavy weapon for the Japanese on Mars, a captured smoke discharger!
This weapon can be used to lob smoke charges designed to blind the enemy to troop movements. The smoke stalkers carry a smaller version, enough to cover a small unit of men. This one has considerably more range, and it's smoke covers a greater area. Troops surrounded by this smoke will require protection in order to breath, the crew demonstrate the latest in protective gear.
The French forces have two cavalry units at their disposal, these Chasseurs D'Afrique and a yet to be mustered Cuirassier troop.

Currently trying to produce a mix of conventional Victorian troops, and some more VSF troops and equipment. So I hope to keep posting a mix of stuff.

Up next...well all depends on mood, could be some of 'The Fraternity' troops, British camel corps, Martian steppe warriors, and/or Martian hill tribe warriors. All of these are near the painting table, just a matter of which one catches my eye.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:26:37 PM by Menelduir »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Excellent stuff!  :-*

I especially like all the conversions.  ;D

So you came here for inspiration, eh?  ::) :D

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
I like the cavalry very much :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Excellent stuff!  :-*

I especially like all the conversions.  ;D

So you came here for inspiration, eh?  ::) :D

Inspiration from the works of others, and inspiration merely by the posting of my finished projects that then encourages me to do more. So many great things posted by so many, I have barely scratched the surface of this forum.

Malamute, thank you for the comments, I feel they are one of my better efforts in cavalry. I am trying to become a better painter, and this is one of my 'new' style paint jobs. Still room to grow.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Re: My armies on Mars - U/D Martians in French service/General Sternwood
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:13 PM »
Amazingly, for me, I continue to produce stuff for my VSF collection. Normally by now I would have become distracted by some other project.

These are some colonial Martian figures by Parroom Stations. It only took me a few years to decide on which nation they would serve, and what colour to paint their uniforms! ::)

The other figure is General Sternwood, who runs the main corporation in the solar system. He is a man that is barely alive, kept going by the machine that he is integrated with, and by his own driving desire for power.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
Re: My armies on Mars - U/D Aug 26 pg 5 Colonial troops/General Sternwood
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 07:16:35 AM »
Makes me want to pick up VSF again.  These are great and the tanks in particular.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----