Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What next for Copplestone Barbarica 15mm fantasy?  (Read 28904 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: What next for Copplestone Barbarica 15mm fantasy?
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04:20 AM »
Have you heard something or just surmising from the lack of releases recently?

Sorry was offline by this was posted but I see somebody has already answered.

A wee bit miffed to be honest as have been collecting, painting and pushing these since they came out and now the range has stopped.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
You know this is making me rethink if I want to continue in this hobby. Sound melodramatic I know. Just this constant collecting the new shiny. Back of beyond, Darkest Africa and 1938 collected and painted eventually everybody lost interest starting with the designers. This seems to have accelerated with the advent of skirmish sized games. You hardly get the figures painted and a couple of games in and the next shiny is released.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
It's always been that way - certainly over the last 20 years. Another new 'the next big thing' every few months. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon, then the wheels come off leaving just a few diehard adherents to trundle on in obscurity...

To be fair, I don't think we can really accuse Mark Copplestone of this though. He's always been one who makes the things that interest him, when they interest him, and when he loses interest, he moves on. As I say, it's the artistic temperament. He has finished some massive ranges like DA for Foundry which he then went back to under his own brand. Some ranges (like the 1672 stuff) he clearly loses enthusiasm for partway through, and moves on. He seemed to stop sculpting altogether for several years, so personally I'm glad we're seeing new work from him at all.

It's a bit different to the 'new shiny' phenomenon, which is often driven by commercial interests and marketing.

But I do know what you mean. It can be a bit soul destroying  :)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
You know this is making me rethink if I want to continue in this hobby. Sound melodramatic I know. Just this constant collecting the new shiny. Back of beyond, Darkest Africa and 1938 collected and painted eventually everybody lost interest starting with the designers. This seems to have accelerated with the advent of skirmish sized games. You hardly get the figures painted and a couple of games in and the next shiny is released.

It's an ever revolving door.

I was a habitual victim of the Ooh Shiny Syndrome (OSS) but have since narrowed my focus. I'm still OOH shiny but sticking to one or two chosen games, that I actually play. I've recently sold a ton of stuff for far less than I paid (and that I NEVER used) and I think what a waste of money.

IMHO, I usually don't purchase miniatures unless it is a fully supported line (for large scale games). The flip side of the argument is for the manufacturer. If people like me wait, then there are limited sales and is it worth it to produce a non-profitable line of figures. Which is maybe why the designer has "lost" interest or just shifted focus.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »
Maybe Copplestone is planning to tackle the 'Knights of the Savannah' he strongly implied he was going to do- about twenty years ago :) 

Just wait, in another decade Barbarica will have its comeback.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
Haha in another decade I will be to old and blind to paint them, am struggling now. But seriously that was one of the reasons I loved this range. Copplestone figures are just so easy to paint.
Yes I remember the Savannah knights being mentioned when everybody was mad for DA. Just like lots of things were mentioned for BOB and never materialized.
So maybe Mark is a wee bit to blame he gets us hooked with his lead crack and then cuts off supply when he loses interest.
I am going on cold turkey!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
The North star facebook page shows a lovely Ice giant to be released this year.