Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 263605 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Half-Orctober)
« Reply #1095 on: October 20, 2018, 04:14:03 AM »
Strong, dependable colour choices.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1096 on: October 21, 2018, 05:52:25 AM »
Thanks. Trying to include a little variety, but stay in a certain aesthetic. First half of the unit done, all rank & file so far.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1097 on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
powerful stuff.

brought this to mind somehow: I imagine you may be familiar with tom baker's 'the boy who kicked pigs' - but if not, might be up your street, although it's not really got fanciful / faerie content now I think about it.

No progress on the half-orcs. Travelling a lot for work this month. On a positive note, I'm on a work trip that's close enough to make it to a gallery opening that will have a few of my creepy toy things tonight...

Pics on the blog:

https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2018/10/monsters-under-bed.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:26:22 PM by Bloggard »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1098 on: October 23, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to look into that book.

Here's a progress photo showing front and back painting variations. Rank & file are all done - just need to paint command figures & do the bases.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1099 on: October 23, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
Looking good! The variety in the cloaks works really well. Do you have any plans for the shields?

Grunmunter the Beast is a terrific figure, I've always thought. As is Throg himself.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1100 on: October 23, 2018, 08:18:24 PM »
I'm still trying to decide on a design or sigil for the shields.

I do like all four of the command figures, looking forward to painting them. Obviously going to take a little more time & care on them.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1101 on: October 23, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
I'm still trying to decide on a design or sigil for the shields.

If I recall correctly, the original Citadel write-up for these referred to "the emblem shown" but didn't actually show an emblem!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1102 on: October 24, 2018, 02:23:00 AM »
I'd like to do something simple, but avoid cliches like an eye, hand, or evil sun/moon.

Maybe a stylized black star (sort of like a Macedonian design?) or plume of smoke ?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1103 on: October 24, 2018, 03:37:36 AM »
The more I paint these oldscool regiments -- whether pre-defined Regiments of Renown, or my own assembly of old minis with custom back story, the more I want to try putting my rudimentary sculpting skills to work at creating my own old style regiment. Half-orcs are at the top of my list. Ideally/optimistically I'd like to try for 4 command figures plus 3 trooper variants. Then make a simple mold to reproduce enough of the troopers in resin.

I've got other things I'd like to wrap up first, but maybe this could be a project to start with the new year.

It would be a challenge. My last unit sculpting attempt didn't go very well, and only ever got half finished (they're still in a box somewhere, in this same unfinished state...)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:03:59 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1104 on: October 24, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »
Those greens look really good! Were they beastmen of some sort?

I'd like to do something simple, but avoid cliches like an eye, hand, or evil sun/moon.

Maybe a stylized black star (sort of like a Macedonian design?) or plume of smoke ?

It's quite hard to avoid the cliches but yet make the symbol recognisable, I find, which is why I fall back so often on faces, skulls and pentacles. But I can see a somewhat abstract smoke plume working really well - it wouldn't even need to be particularly recognisable to create an interesting division of the shield. Very interested to see what you come up with!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1105 on: October 24, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
The sculpts don't look too bad - will be interested to see what you come up with.

And maybe a flower? To really confuse people.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #1106 on: October 24, 2018, 09:44:13 PM »
Maybe snakes, scorpions, spiders etc. could be an interesting design? What would Orks paint on their shields to look tough/ scare away enemies; stuff they'd fear themselves!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1107 on: October 25, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
Hence the flowers.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1108 on: October 28, 2018, 03:05:46 AM »
16 Half-orcs (old RR15 Citadel hobgoblins) done!

More pics, updates, and plans on my blog. https://www.zerotwentythree.com/

The sculpts were supposed to be ratmen. They were a "learning experience", as the saying goes. The fur is pretty bad, and would have benefitted from pulling the putty a bit to create the appearance of hair instead of just holes on a surface. The feet are a bit flat. I may try finishing them at some point, just for the practice. As with anything, I think there's a benefit to failing a bunch of times in order to get better at something.

I like the flower idea. Things they fear? Maybe a picture of a handsome elf? lol

I tried a couple of ideas (including smoke plumes, mostly based on traditional Japanese aesthetics) on paper first but didn't like how they turned out. I went with a "black star" based on ancient Macedonian shield designs. I painting up ideas on paper, I think I have another idea that may appear on another unit, a black tree -- sort of an antithesis to the Tolkienesque white tree.

(FWIW, I've been thinking of using my generic fantasy half-orcs as actual orcs for possible future Middle Earth gaming. I think these minis in particular will would work fairly well in such a role. At least in terms of what I envision Tolkien's orcs to be. I still have some other minis in mind...)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1109 on: October 28, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
Great work! That star works very nicely, and there's a neat link between it, the standard and Grunmunter's mempo.

(FWIW, I've been thinking of using my generic fantasy half-orcs as actual orcs for possible future Middle Earth gaming. I think these minis in particular will would work fairly well in such a role. At least in terms of what I envision Tolkien's orcs to be. I still have some other minis in mind...)

I've earmarked at least a couple of mine for painting up as Isengarders. It would be the work of minutes to cut the sword straight and add a bow and quiver to the back. I think these make better Uruk-hai than Jez Goodwin's actual Uruk-hai of similar vintage, which are huge. The 'S' rune would just about fit on the plate on ht front of their helmets too.