Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Genghis' Inq28 [Cawdor trio added 13 Feb 24]  (Read 83467 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Arco-Flagellants added 24 Mar 20]
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
I really like the colour palette you use.
It is very effective and gives some lovely results.
 :-* :-*

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Arco-Flagellants added 24 Mar 20]
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »
Thanks.  A few years ago when I was getting back into 40K/into Inq28, I wanted to achieve that grimy Blanchitsu-esque look, but my natural style seems to be much cleaner and brighter.  I've settled into it now though and am especially happy with some of my more recent work.

(Of note, I keep painting notes for most things I paint, so can share the processes if anyone is interested how I achieved any particular look.)
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Heavy Combat Servitor added 25 Mar 20]
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:46 PM »
Day 2 of the pandemic painting productivity period and another figure finished, may I present Heavy Combat Servitor serial DJ4539.  The Planetary Defence Force (PDF) goon is just there for scale, this fella’s a big boy.  The goon’s going all fan boy over the servitor’s plasma cannon, whilst his comrades are all giving him a double thumbs up and shouting “plasma friend” at him.  The servitor will serve as a proxy UR-025 in Blackstone Fortress, a big bad guy in my Inq28 setting (for when I’m being a very bad GM - this guy's going to be ridiculously overpowered for the average adventuring warband) and may form a part of my AdMech forces when I get around to doing them.

The servitor is Wargames Exclusive/Grimskull, with a GW plasma cannon grafted on to the original plasma cannon and (although not visible in this photo) a pair of Space Marine backpack vents/exhausts on his back in lieu of the original ones.  Relatively subtle changes, but I think they tie him into the 40K setting a little more.

(Of note, I haven’t just painted him in a day, he was already about half finished.  Next in the painting queue is a little something that seems kind of apt for the times we’re in; hopefully she’ll be done in a few days.)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:49:49 PM by Genghis »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Heavy Combat Servitor added 25 Mar 20]
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2020, 09:25:36 PM »
Day 2 of the pandemic painting productivity period and another figure finished, may I present Heavy Combat Servitor serial DJ4539.  The Planetary Defence Force (PDF) goon is just there for scale, this fella’s a big boy.  The goon’s going all fan boy over the servitor’s plasma cannon, whilst his comrades are all giving him a double thumbs up and shouting “plasma friend” at him.  The servitor will serve as a proxy UR-025 in Blackstone Fortress, a big bad guy in my Inq28 setting (for when I’m being a very bad GM - this guy's going to be ridiculously overpowered for the average adventuring warband) and may form a part of my AdMech forces when I get around to doing them.

The servitor is Wargames Exclusive/Grimskull, with a GW plasma cannon grafted on to the original plasma cannon and (although not visible in this photo) a pair of Space Marine backpack vents/exhausts on his back in lieu of the original ones.  Relatively subtle changes, but I think they tie him into the 40K setting a little more.

(Of note, I haven’t just painted him in a day, he was already about half finished.  Next in the painting queue is a little something that seems kind of apt for the times we’re in; hopefully she’ll be done in a few days.)

Excellent, he looks brutal :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Space Covid Team added 02 Apr 20]
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Given the current shenanigans it seemed apt for this little grouping to undertake a spot of queue jumping: Nurse Florence and her machines will see you now.  Florence and the two servitors with legs are Anvil, and the tracked servitor is from the old GW objective set, converted to a mobile unit by mounting it on the even older Space Hulk CAT chassis (idea stolen from someone on this forum, but I'm not entirely sure who - possibly Agis, I seem to steal a lot of his ideas).  I'm not completely happy with how the legged servitors have ended up, I think they're missing something colour-wise, but am not quite sure what; in the end I decided to stop agonising over it and just call them done.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2020, 03:52:28 PM »
Given the current shenanigans it seemed apt for this little grouping to undertake a spot of queue jumping: Nurse Florence and her machines will see you now.  Florence and the two servitors with legs are Anvil, and the tracked servitor is from the old GW objective set, converted to a mobile unit by mounting it on the even older Space Hulk CAT chassis (idea stolen from someone on this forum, but I'm not entirely sure who - possibly Agis, I seem to steal a lot of his ideas).  I'm not completely happy with how the legged servitors have ended up, I think they're missing something colour-wise, but am not quite sure what; in the end I decided to stop agonising over it and just call them done.

They are Fab well done, may I say though could they be missing the ancient Terran medical symbol of the Red Cross, whose beginnings have been lost to the mists of time.

If the Nurse and the servitors had a red cross on the forehead or somewhere else it would tie them all together?

Just my 2P, still fab though :-*

Kind regards

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
Given the current shenanigans it seemed apt for this little grouping to undertake a spot of queue jumping: Nurse Florence and her machines will see you now. 

Good work! I'm amazed at the similarity of our projects sometimes, I have all those figures (except the CAT) on my to do list :)

A contrast 'warm tone' on the servitors might be good?

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
Thank-you.  Rather than the red cross, I'm using the Rod of Asclepius symbol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius), which Florence has sculpted as a broach and the tracked servitor has painted on its chest (although not visible from the angle I photographed it); my previous Ramshackle nurse also had that symbol on her (see page 6).  I was debating putting it on the other servitors, but other than a knee (which seemed a bit low), there wasn't anywhere obvious to put it.  I'd wanted to put some red on the servitors somewhere, but couldn't think of somewhere that would make sense, rather than just being an arbitrarily red cable or suchlike.

@Dr Mathias, we do indeed seem to have a lot of overlap in our figures, it's always a pleasure to peruse your updates and see cool ideas to steal take inspiration.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Chaos Cultists added 04 Apr 20]
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
Seemingly back into my stride with the pandemic painting productivity period, here is a first batch of Chaos Cultists I've managed to get knocked out rather rapidly; despite the quick and dirty paint job, I think they've turned out okay.  I was aiming for a look that would plausibly pass muster as being either Slaaneshi or Tzeentchian, giving me options when using them in a more narrative Inq28 setting, which I think I've achieved without being too clashingly garish.  Incidentally, I'm loving the purpley hue I've achieved on them, that's going to end up being a shade quite a few of my female figures will be sporting methinks.

(Next up are some wild west figures, so it may be a little longer before I return to this board with the rest of the cultists.)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2020, 08:13:27 PM »
Well, this was a lovely thread!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2020, 01:35:08 PM »
Superb.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [More Chaos Cultists added 13 Apr 20]
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Thank-you.  Via a brief diversion into the Old West (on the appropriate bit of the forum), here are some cultist reinforcements.  I'm particularly pleased with the branding on the two right hand cultists.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [More Chaos Cultists added 13 Apr 200]
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »
 Very nice work in this thread.

Just put some Cultists together this Week.Great inspiration for getting mine painted.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [More Chaos Cultists added 13 Apr 200]
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2020, 05:00:51 AM »
I agree, nice branding.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Chaos Cultist Leadership added 22 Apr 20]
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2020, 05:06:58 PM »
Thanks.

A month into the Pandemic Painting Productivity Period and here's the third (of four) batches of Cultists, adding some leadership and support weapons (it's really hard to find a good angle to photograph the Firebrand from).  Just the final four Blackstone cultists to add now and that'll be a reasonable little force of cultists I'll have painted up.