Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Did 4th Swiss grenadiers wear bearskins or shako in the Peninsular ?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a couple of battalions from Front Rank and I want to paint them as 4th Swiss. Before I order, I want to be sure I've got the right headgear for my grenadiers (I made a mistake last time).

Did 4th Swiss grenadiers wear bearskins or shako in the Peninsular ?

Please, can someone please answer this for me.

James

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Did 4th Swiss grenadiers wear bearskins or shako in the Peninsular ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
Someone else may be better informed on these units, but from what I can find, all four Swiss regiments (and the Valais and Neufchatel battalions, as well) wore grenadier caps - I think they were goatskin, rather than bearskin - up to the invasion of Russia in 1812.  Thereafter, all the evidence points to them wearing shakos with the usual red plume and other accoutrements.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »
'Tis as our battered baron said.

Grenadiers were issued bearskins when the Swiss regiments were raised for French service in 1806, though Bonaparte apparently decreed that very same year that the grenadiers from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Swiss would not be allowed to wear them until they had actually seen combat. The bearskins remained regulation headwear until early 1813, when they were replaced with shakos as per the 1812 regulations. R. Forthoffer does however note that shakos would not be issued until the surviving bearskins had completely worn out.

Bearskins are therefore fine for Spain.   

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
Excellent. Thanks, guys.