Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dewbakuk's 'Mare Solem' project thread  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Dewbakuk's 'Mare Solem' project thread
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
Been a while since I posted anything of note so I thought I'd start a project thread for a build I started this weekend. Hopefully it will keep me engaged and my upcoming failures prove useful to others  :P

Mare Solem is a sub-setting for the Inquisimunda/Inq28 minded individuals. There are a few around these days but this one is set on the 99% water covered planet of Mare Solem, so we get to play with boats etc  :D

We have a gaming day coming up in October and I've offered to get some scenery done for it. This isn't my first time doing water based terrain but these pieces are likely to be bigger than my previous builds so I'll be trying some new (old but new to me) techniques that I've never gotten around to. Anyway, enough words, let's see some wip pictures of the rock spire based research station I've started with :D

So as you can see, I've started with a chunk of crappy polystyrene packing I had lying around. I don't like working with the stuff normally but it will make a nice core to a larger build. I've then gone with the ripped upholstery foam technique as used by model railroad types. I start by putting on big block shapes I like:

And then start infilling the gaps:

I'm using Gorrila Glue pva as it has more of a grip than normal pva. Cocktail sticks are pushed in to hold it in place while the glue dries. They are removed whole where possible but where they get glued in, you can push the foam in around the stick and clip it off so the foam covers it. Just keep working around, although I skip areas that will get a building added.

Then here are some pics after the sticks have been removed and showing a mock up of how the buildings fit in. Also added figures for scale.

And then a shot of the rocky side to show figures can be stood on parts. I'll be working in some climbing spots for this side.

Currently it looks like a pile of rocks but once the coating goes on to harden it all and the paint/foliage is added it should all tie back together.

So, has anyone done this style of rock before? I know the Mac brothers did for the Aquanaughts game if either of you are reading. If you have, what did you find to be the best way to seal the rocks. There are various methods and I've done similar bits soaked in PVA previously and the railroad way is to put a thinned wall filler over the top to harden it. Curious to hear from people who've actually done it though as I don't want it to get too heavy.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Dewbakuk's 'Mare Solem' project thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »
curious to see how this progresses - it's going to be a beast  o_o

I haven't tried it on foam, but modge podge is worth a look. amazon link

I've used it on cardboard and it worked a treat, so worth considering for foam

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »
I believe that we used watered down poly-filler and PVA mixture that took an age to dry
Andy done most of it so I am sure he will have better hints, I will give him a nudge.
I think that we dipped our sponge in the mixture before fitting it to a base

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:18:16 PM »
Cheers.

Hmm soaking it first, not sure I could do that with this build. Well I could but it would be seriously messy...
Might try it on a smaller one :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:21:13 PM by Dewbakuk »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
Hooray!  :D

Looking good so far. Did you think about using a hot glue gun to stick the foam on?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
curious to see how this progresses - it's going to be a beast  o_o

I haven't tried it on foam, but modge podge is worth a look.

Thanks, hope it all works out :)
Modge Podge is one of those products I should probably try at some point. Need something a bit more economical for this kind of thing though.

Hooray!  :D

Looking good so far. Did you think about using a hot glue gun to stick the foam on?

I did but I thought the Gorrila Glue would soak in and help from the start. Probably not worth it to be honest though.

Online Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
Can't wait to see this project finished, as I have a water based post-apocalypse project in the back of my mind (definitely NOT based on Waterworld).

Will you be leaving a bit to paint on the day in October?   
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
Will you be leaving a bit to paint on the day in October?   

Not for the Mare Solem day but I’ll add something extra to paint if it comes to BLAM  ;D

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
I decided I needed some simpler rocks to block out the board (and test the filler mix on) and to set the scene. So I've quickly ripped and thrown these together. This first one will get another stack with buildings on to go with the first. Not sure if I want to do the boat as a terrain peice or not yet. Very little foliage on the low rocks, but I will be putting things like scrap built wind turbines etc on them.

This is a test layout for a scavenger/fishing/refuelling port. The idea is to put walkways and shanty buildings/platforms etc over the scant ground.

Put some of the Necro walkways on with containers to check it... Looks like a mess, so won't be doing it this way  lol lol lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »
Build build build  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »
Splendid, good to see you back at it. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
Last one for tonight. Decided to test a couple of methods for hardening the rocks. The one on the right has been soaked with my standard pva/water mix and may get a thin filler layer on after, will see how it feels. The one io the left is ‘hardcore mode’ and is the same pva/water mix with plaster added to it. I’m interested to see what happens but I suspect it will be very hard, quite heavy and maybe brittle, we’ll see.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »
I suppose drying them on the bbq is one idea  o_o

lol

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain