Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice sought: effects with water effects  (Read 1128 times)

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
Advice sought: effects with water effects
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
I'm looking to try and make some terrain with non-water water effects by which I mean things to give the impression of chemical mixing and reacting, iridescant diesel, glowing translucent green radiation, that kind of thing.

Anyone got any experience or suggestions for how to achieve any of these? Expensive stuff to practice with and can't screw up the final pieces.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Advice sought: effects with water effects
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:22 PM »
Small amounts, e.g. spills from oil drums, I use two part epoxy resin & as it starts  to harden mix
in a bit of ink or thinned paint.  Stir (as much, or as little as you want) Leave it to harden.
For larger amounts, such as polluted ponds, there are quite a few tutorials on the internet including
LAF.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:22:01 PM »
if you are using clear resins then you can mix inks and thinned acrylics in to color the whole batch.  For the iridescent sheen the only thing that I can think of is this stuff.  http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/chameleon-acrylic-paints/737-chameleon-colorshift-royal-burgundy-paint.html.  Problem is I have not used it so I cant give you any information on how it thins out or how translucent it is. 
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »
Those colourshift paints only work because you have a solid black (preferrably gloss) undercoat. And its the change in viewing angle that gives the colour change. Mixing them into resin will just give you a murky colour.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
I'm wondering if I need to use some actual oil they smeared on top of dried resinq to get the effect