Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia  (Read 63704 times)

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
Re: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
And perhaps useful for understanding military affairs of taiga peoples:
http://www.parabellum.vzmakh.ru/n8_s3.shtml

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »
And I want to explain to our foreign comrades: the campaign of Ermak to Siberia is not the conquest of America by the conquistadors! The Russians made trips to the Urals and Siberia hundreds of years before Yermak, and Khan Kuchum himself raided Russian lands. So there was no panic fear of firearms like the Aztecs and the Incas.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
Wow awesome pictures, prelude to a brilliant range i hope  :-*

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »
In the message number 178, the 1st and 4th pictures are just somebody's fantasies on the chosen topic.
On the picture marked with number 16 can Kashgar and Kirghiz warriors - to the raised theme have no relation.

I can not find any information about the use horse armor in the army khan Kuchum. Probably in the taiga and mountains it was abandoned.

In the message №179 images of Russian Cossacks in Siberia in the 17th century - this is about 100 years later than the period of interest to us))) And these are the clothes of quite different tribes from other regions (the Yenisei Kirghiz, Buryats, Jungars).

Of course Cossacks Ermak could use the clothes of local people , but, I think, they had enough of their own clothes because of the good preparation of the expedition.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
Dear friend, I know perfectly well that the picture depicts the soldiers of the 17th century (moreover, I read the article to which it was made!) I brought it as a concept that when the conquests of Siberia at different times used fur clothes of local production. It was cold hell and I'm not sure that the delivery of Russian clothes was regular!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2018, 11:34:44 AM »
 :) I think the Cossacks well understood in which place they will have to act, even before the campaign began  ;)

This is me and you have the opportunity to read articles in Russian or at least signatures to illustrations. Our foreign friends do not have such an opportunity. Therefore, the use of ambiguous illustrations can lead to a distortion of the perception of reality.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »
 ;)And in the 17th century they stupid ceased to understand where they are going and therefore they start using local clothes. I can bring many drawings of conquerors of Siberia and the Far East of the 17-18 centuries in local clothes. And I am deeply convinced of its use in the 16th century. Especially during the expeditions to the lands inhabited by the Khanty and Mansi. There were trophies that were used.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »
I have a different approach to the issue - I do not want to fantasize, I want to know for sure  ;)

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
Prince Bayar, who first recognized the power of Yermak and helped the Cossacks survive the first "hungry" winter:

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
I specifically did not publish this picture. Strange helmet, and most importantly, I think that the prince could afford a more dignified armor than bone. In this armor the same Gorelik drew a simple archer, and according to research Bobrov and Khudyakov, even most of the ordinary Khanty and Mansi warriors-militiamen had chain mail.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
A friend of mine. This is a very controversial issue. I personally do not think so.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »
Here is another rider for the Siberian Khanate:

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
Seems like there were many many ethnic groups in Siberia with a lot of ways to dress for battle.You will probably have to concentrate on a certain few as it will take you forever to do them all. lol
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »
Pick the meanest looking ones.  :o lol  :D
Mark

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
And this reconstruction, in my opinion, does not deserve any confidence)))

Do not agree with the best researchers on the topic of Siberian warriors to date - this is your right, my friend.

I apologize to our foreign friends, but I will not be able to translate this text into English. It is a question of the princes of the Khanty and Mansi distributing chain armor from the prince's arsenal to their soldiers during mobilization. And that the chain armor were widely used by these tribes.

"Кольчатые доспехи широко применялись не только тюркским, но и угро-финским населением Западной Сибири, в частности служилыми кодскими хантами. В церкви Троицы в Кодском городке был развернут специальный княжеский арсенал, который насчитывал «40 панцырей, 4 лука бухарских и 50 панцырных (бронебойных. – Л. Б.) стрел», а также некоторое количество шлемов. Собственниками арсенала выступали князья Алачевы. В случае мобилизации кодские ханты собирались у князя и получали из казны панцирное вооружение, а после окончания похода сдавали его в арсенал и расплачивались за аренду доспехов частью военной добычи".

Л.А. Бобров - "КОЛЬЧАТЫЕ ДОСПЕХИ В КОМПЛЕКСЕ ВООРУЖЕНИЯ ВОИНОВ ЗАПАДНОЙ СИБИРИ КОНЦА XVI – XVII ВЕКА"