Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion/The Legation Project finished/76 pics/Give it a look  (Read 2808 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
I have provided eight sample pictures from a gallery of 76 pictures.  I hope these eight pictures will motivate you to go to my vanity website and see the rest.   I know that the members of LAF lean toward 28mm, but I think that even if that is your tendency you will nonetheless find this unique and detailed enough to make it interesting… even fun.

This is a collection presented in two parts.  The first pictures (1-41) you will see if you venture to see the full gallery on my website reflect the Peking legation district of 1900 prior to the siege.  That is followed by pictures presenting the same district during the siege.  In order to accomplish this, the legation district is presented on two separate tables, one representing the pre-siege period and the other presenting the period of conflict.  About two years ago Blue Moon (15mm/18mm) came out with a rather substantial Boxer Rebellion range that included an extensive offering of structures that includes 5 beautiful legation compounds (British, French, Russian, Japanese, and US) and a wide variety of civilian Chinese buildings.  But because I wanted to do a table representing the pre-siege look of the legation district as well as the legation district during the siege, I needed to scratch build a set of the legation walls without the firing steps that come with the Blue Moon legations.  I did this using Evergreen and JTT plastic, Legos and Milliput.  This has been a nine-month project, and I’m very happy with the outcome.  I hope you will enjoy it, too. You can see the full gallery at www.WarIn15mm.com

750w by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-2 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-3 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-4 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-5 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-6 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-7 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr750w-8 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Re: Boxer Rebellion/The Legation Project finished/76 pics/Give it a look
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:27:39 AM »
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the ground... :-* :-* :-*

Yet another reason to visit your site, as if I needed another reason.
I was just there last week checking out your African gallery, which then led me back to the Victorian gallery, then the Pulp Egypt gallery, then the...
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:18:05 AM »
Maybe I should "nudge" more often!   lol lol

Will look in greater detail later but I really like the destroyed market stalls - that is a superb detail.

Excellent work, Richard, and - as always - at lightening speed.  Need to sleep but I will be back to look more for certain sure.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Many, many congratulations!
You finished a job of gigantic proportions!
I was following your progress all that time and your effort is enviable!
I don't know if anybody else managed to finish painting all these Blue Moon so well sculpting buildings in such a short time, not to forget that you made your own replications!
And spending money and time to find an assortment of various relevant figures and paraphernalia as well!
A very prolific and detailed job, you must be proud of!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »
Splendid  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
Absolutely superb!   :-*   :-*   :-*

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:08:32 PM »
Another visit this morning, again too quick as I need to get ready for work.  One thing I'd like to see is a mini-gallery of all of the European units a bit closer up and with explanations of which unit is what/who - sort of like "above is the British marine unit", etc.   Like the painter vignette.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
Words fail me... An outstanding project, indeed! Imperial, if I may say so!  o_o o_o

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »
Great stuff

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
This is a great job! Fantastic. The idea of the two versions of Peking, [one before and the other after the attack on the Legations] is brilliant and you have realized it succesfully. No need to say that some images look as if taken from a movie. But one has to visit your Gallery https://warin15mm.com/#/boxer-rebellion-15mm-76-photos/  to enjoy the whole thing! All Legations look great. I love the Russian Legation most, since the wonderful building from Blue Moon may be used in other Colonial theaters. I think it suits very well for the Indian Mutiny [siege of Lucknow etc]. There are many many wonderful pics in your Galleries. I love the peaceful scene in  the market [there are two lovely pics with the Bactrian Camels in the Background  ;)] and the chinese citizens ... However I shall agree with fifteens away : the destroyed market stalls is a superb detail!! I also love the trees in front of the Russian Legation building. One can see these trees CUT in the second version [after the Boxer Attack]  to improve visibility. A Lovely detail ! Also the Boxers swarming the Wall, and running before the destroyed market stalls, are very impressive. The Japanese soldiers on the parapets aiming at the attacking Boxers are very nice. And many many more pics. You did a great job sir.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:37:17 PM by miltiades »

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:32:50 PM »
Stunning! The destroyed market stalls are a great touch, very evocative!!!
What rules set do you use?

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 11:36:12 PM »
Another visit this morning, again too quick as I need to get ready for work.  One thing I'd like to see is a mini-gallery of all of the European units a bit closer up and with explanations of which unit is what/who - sort of like "above is the British marine unit", etc.   Like the painter vignette.
Oh Yes. The painter vignette. And the European couples strolling peacefully before the attack. And the guys with the bikes. And the Chinese rickshaws carrying European ladies and gentlemen. And the Japanese ladies in front of their Embassy. And so many other wonderful pics!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 11:59:20 PM »
Menelduir, hope your jaw is okay.  Thanks so much for the generous comments and for mentioning the Africa, Victorian, and Pulp Egypt collections.

DintheDin, I am proud of this project, glad I took it on in the way I did and appreciate very much your kind words.  Like you, I haven't seen the Blue Moon legations completed elsewhere, and believe me I looked when I began this project... really wanted to see what others had done, but no luck.

OSHIROmodels, your talented work on Asian structures makes this "Splendid" highly valued indeed.  Thank you.

Mad Lord, I always appreciate it when you write and value your two wonderful words very much.

FifteensAway, glad you've had some time to check this out.  The market stall ruins are a favorite of mine as well.  Oddly they were a last minute thought that I am very happy I had.  I can be of no help in terms of specific Great Power units in the legation district.  I read two histories on the subject and neither offered much information in that regard so I noted the types of units present and used Osprey as a painting guide.  I can be of service with regard to a mini-gallery.  All the figures used in this project were posted on my Weekly Workbench during the week they were painted.  The European units can be found on my Workbench Archive between Sept. and Dec. 2018.  When I get an opportunity to check I will respond with more specific information concerning type of unit and archive dates.  You can see the Workbench Archive listed by month at the top of my website on the far right at www.warin15mm.com

Antonio and Deano, thank you for the generous words.  Very glad you enjoyed the project.

militates, always appreciate your interest and will follow the progress of your project.  The figures you mention were great finds... HO Preiser Victorians.  I'm particularly pleased with the rickshaws that I had to scratch build.

JBaumal, thank you very much for the "Stunning!"  As to rules used, I afraid I must disappoint you.  I am a painter, builder, diorama layout guy, but not a gamer.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:57:56 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 01:47:16 AM »
War in 15mm, no disappointment at all sir. Still stunning and still inspirational! A beautiful set up / dio. Wells has  researched and expertly executed.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 02:02:42 AM »
I'm particularly pleased with the rickshaws that I had to scratch build.
So the rickshaws are scratch!  :o