Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PA Diorama Project  (Read 8878 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Re: PA Diorama Project
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »
Here are pictures of the inside in it's final stage before I glued the front wall in place. Mostly subtle little changes, but to me necessary.

I've since added the beams between the front and back wall, and have installed the threshold in the doorway. I also stared reshaping the  body of the car I am considering using. I'm using a 15 MM WW2 German VW for the basic vehicle as that's what I have available that I think will work. I also am nursing a left index finger that I cut a chunk out of when the saw slipped on cutting back he trunk area of the VW - OUCH!!!!  (Yeah, a big sissy!!!!) .I'll try for some updated pictures tomorrow.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
Great stuff. I like the use of the picture  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
Again, my thanks all.  Here's an update with the beams installed, the threshold, and some additional dirt on some new horizontal surfaces.

Next  will probably install the doors, which I think will add a lot.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »
Wonderful work! :-* :-* :-*
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
Stunning detail :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 03:08:03 AM »
Thank you all for the kind comments. This is a fun project and I want Nick to be both surprised and pleased when he receives it. I went to install the front doors in some PA fashion only to find that I had made them 4 MM too long!!!!! So I had to carefully trim the bottom by 4 MM and then also part of the lower center panel insert and rebuild the bottom. No biggey really, just annoyed I had to do it. They actually look better though as the glass area now looks larger, which is usually the way I see those types of doors in older buildings - and this being the public library, it's been around awhile!

Anyway, the remodeled doors have been stained and weathered and I hope to put them in place tomorrow and then will share new pictures as the major portion of the construction will be done. There is still a lot of rubble and debris to put in but most of that will come after the ground is done. I have installed a couple of other fallen beams that were needed on the left side, and have a board to poke out the window on the right side, but will wait to add that one at the end so it doesn't get snapped off while doing the landscaping.

Following the books, the environment is post nuclear war and the skies are constantly gray and overcast, lots of powerful, destructive storms with deadly lightening so I'll probably go with a dark taupish-brownish gray dirt color, no green vegetation, but some of the weird stuff Nick describes in the book - and they're all deadly. Like blue tentacle type plants that glow and pulse when excited, purple something that I'll do as a weed type thingy and then a poisonous red moss. That will at least give the model a little color... but once I paint it I sure don't want to get too close to it.

Still contemplating adding a rusted out car, that I'll be making from a WW2 VW I have. I enjoy making PA wrecks and doing all that rust, etc.

Will share this one more time as to me it is just too cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqifS5g8hIs

More soon and with pictures,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:57 PM »
Here's a picture with the doors set in place, but not yet glued. Am pondering if that's how I want them, but suspect I'll be playing around with them for a final decision. Anyway, you can see how it might look.

I'll also probably hold off doing the ground until I finish the car so I can see how it might fit in best. Therefore, my focus will be to create the car wreck now.

More soon,

Terry

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
Splendid  8)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
OK, I know the additional work is less obvious, but each new piece needs to be made and then painted and added, so it is a bit slow going. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and post a few pics anyway. I am thinking this may be the final positions for the doors since they would ave opened out.

You can see the possible placement of the car if I use it, but also the additional beams at the top are all in place now. I think that was needed and looks much better.

Here's the left end of the model showing the fallen beams.

And here's the right end so you can see the rusty old pipe holding up the fallen beam. I am guessing the pipe was some kind of water line or conduit running through the ceiling????

More to follow,

Terry

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 05:43:32 AM »
great progress
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 07:25:21 AM »
It has only now dawned upon me that it is a dio of X from the Helldiver series! I guess it serves me right for only looking at the cool pictures and not actually reading the text.

That just makes it even more awesome. I really like that series. I found it in a sort of roundabout way via Audible because the audiobook verision is read by R.C. Bray one of my favourite audiobook narrators.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Dr. Z,

Sounds like you are a fan maybe of the "Hell Divers" series, or at least have read it. Yes, that is Xavier/X and Miles from the third book and they are based on the few descriptions Nick gives us of them.

X has been on the world now referred to as Hell for some time so his Hell Diver's suit is a bit worn and dull gray, there is a piece of duck tape on his right wrist, he is wearing an olive colored scarf around his neck and carries his bed roll on the bottom of his pack. I added what needed to be, but they may not be so obvious in the pictures. Miles is a Husky that X made a "plastic" hazmat suit fro, but doesn't give the color. Coming up with a dog in a hazmat suit was a fun challenge and I am pleased with the results. I used the body of a space dog that had some armor, and the head of a saber toothed tiger for the head. Then made the respirator from bits. After doing a little research on the colors that hazmat suits came in I went with the orange-red color just to add some to the model. I had tired using yellow, but that just didn't look right , but still served as a nice base coat for the orange-red.

I am doing this as a surprise gift that I will be sending Nick when it's finished. For those who have not read the "Hell Divers" series, this very short video may interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqifS5g8hIs

Thank you all for the kind comments. I am truly enjoying this project and the many challenges it has presented.

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 03:18:56 AM »
I have finished the building and everything is glued into place. These pictures will show you the final placement of the doors. As I got to looking at the model and the amount of damage, and then at the doors I realized they were too nice looking and so I was going to have to to damage them too. Oh, it was painful as I was so proud of how they turned out - but , I did it. The one that has fallen or been pushed inside has the upper left part around the window busted away with bits hanging, while the other door sitting askew on one hinge just has a bit gouged out at the bottom (mostly hidden by Miles) . I took pictures from all angels so maybe you can see it well enough to grasp it all.

I was undecided about the car and was all set to leave it out when a friend suggested having it sitting on it's side a a  wreck. Yep, that was it and I really like the idea. Of course that brought a whole new set of challenges because the bottom of the VW jeep is hollow! So that meant in addition to making it look like a car, and a wreck I was going to have to also make the under detail as well. OK, then the game was a foot and I have started on it and have the underside all but worked out and a lot done already. Additionally I have started reshaping the body and working on making the wheels without the tires as I figure they long been removed or deteriorated away. The actual wheels that came with the model would do nicely, except they are targeted for one of my other PA army vehicles - The Road Warriors army. But if I can come up with a proper wheel with a tire I'll have at least one on it. I am thinking now of having it partially submerged in the pool of rank, toxic water that will be next to the building and the stairs so may only need to do part of the body work since the other will be buried. I'll just have to see how it goes as I work on it, but I really like the idea of it being partially submerged and buried.

More as it progresses,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 03:13:06 AM »
With the building and the figures done I am now working on the wrecked car and turning the VW jeep into some semblance of a modern automobile. This picture will show you some of the parts I've started making and the first cut at reshaping the body. Once I get all of the side panels glued on, I'll blend them in to make it a little wider and also remove any of the excess fenders that tend to make it look more like a hot rod rather than a modern coupe. Lots to do yet - just on the underside of the car in addition to the insert I need to add the tie rods, drive shaft differential, muffler and exhaust pipe (but this last pieces I plan to have hanging lose or torn off and lying near it. One thing about doing it on it's side and partially buried I really only need to modify the one side as hte rest won't really show.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 02:36:15 AM »
Here's the car at the end of today. It's starting to take shape. I had already cut in the trunk opening only to file it away in doing an additional reshaping to the back area, so I'll have to do it again. Not hard, and doesn't have to be deep - just enough to create an edge when the lid is slightly ajar. All of the gaps on the side, etc. will be filled in with in with putty shortly, but want to try and create he final shape first. I'll also add a new rear window area to make it a little more sloping to it. I also need to create a wrap around front to it as well, make a license plat for the rear, and the door, trunk lid and hood. I'm also working on hte wheels and under parts too. Not much longer and it should be done.

More soon,

Terry