Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401533 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here are another three Lund orcs. That's a total of 12 now, for a Dragon Rampant unit of Heavy Foot. With the EM4 plastics and the Grenadier metals, I'm aiming for a large DR warband along these lines:

1 x Elite Foot with wizard
2 x Heavy Foot (offensive)
1 x Light Missiles
2 x Light Foot (offensive)
2 x Lesser Warbeasts (wolfriders)

That's about 45 points - and I can probably get more light foot and another unit of wolfriders together too. I might intersperse the archers with the light foot to create mixed-weapon units. And my 15mm ogres (aka Chronicle orcs) can come in as another unit or two of light foot too. So they should be a pretty sizeable force when I get them all done.

I was unsure whether to paint the Chronicle wolfriders up to match these Grenadier types or the Chronicle orcs. But the riders are a much better match, size-wise, for the Grenadier types. And their wolves are way too big to use in 15mm (though one might be fun as a troll riding Fenrir or something ...). So I'll aim to get through them in this quick and dirty fashion.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
I'm reading it to my girls this past few days too. Must be the season!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (yet more Lund orcs!)
« Reply #1742 on: November 15, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
More excellent orcs. Skin tones superb as usual.

Online Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #1743 on: November 15, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
Great painting.  The funny thing is, before the Oathmark goblins came out I was planning to get the Mirliton orcs and paint them in much the same way you did.  The only thing is, they would not have looked half as good. 
I would love to see you do some Mirliton elves at some stage. 

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1744 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
Thanks, guys.

There's something about those old Lund orcs where they almost paint themselves if you keep the process very simple. In the past, I think I've tried to shade all the nooks and crannies too much, so that the contrasts become too extreme - because the recesses in the faces, etc., are so deep. But with this lot, I just paint all the skin a greyish brown (can't remember the name of the GW paint), give it a Reikland Flesh wash, highlight boldly with Kislev Flesh, then highlight more lightly with Vallejo Silver Grey/Wych Elf Flesh (same colour).

It's a really quick process. I did the Kislev Flesh stage on a couple of huge orcs from the range this morning before getting the kids ready for school, and it took less than five minutes.

I'm quite pleased with how the red clothing works, because that's really simple: a base coat of Vallejo red and a single highlight in GW scarlet. Because the folds in the clothing are so deep, it shades itself.

Ethelred - I quite fancy having a go at those elves, but painting them a fairly bright green, with glowing blue eyes!

Online Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #1745 on: November 15, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

Ethelred - I quite fancy having a go at those elves, but painting them a fairly bright green, with glowing blue eyes!

You're sick.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1746 on: November 15, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
They do look the business alright. I'll bear your method in mind when/if I finally get round to slapping some paint on my Black Orc Regiment of Renown.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1747 on: November 15, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »
You're sick.

I just ordered a sample elf on eBay to try this out! I'm thinking of this colour scheme, more or less!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1748 on: November 15, 2018, 11:53:31 PM »
They do look the business alright. I'll bear your method in mind when/if I finally get round to slapping some paint on my Black Orc Regiment of Renown.

Thanks! It would be a shame, though, to depart from your amazing Death Commandos with those - though doing all those glaive-orcs to that standard would be a project and a half!

I'm debating whether to throw my Chronicle giant black orcs in with this lot. I was going to paint them as "winter orcs" like this fellow (who needs some snow on his base), but I'm wondering if I can be bothered now, as the current method is so painless.

I have a few doubles of the GW/Chronicle types - Ushtug, Ugezod, Sileth and the RoR champion at least, most of them in need of some repairs - so I'll try those out first and see how they go.

Here are another couple of Grenadier types - very big gentlemen indeed. The fellow with the horned helmet belongs in a chariot, but I used the wolves when I was a teenager to make these wolfriders:

In any case, I think I have more use of a harrumphing chieftain on foot than a massive chariot.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:56:09 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree

The painting on the Lund orcs turned out great! I really like that shade of flesh, and as you pointed out the depth of the detail makes quick painting techniques very effective.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
A lovely looking bunch of orcs!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, gents!

ZeroTwentyThree: it struck me that the big Grenadier/Mirliton goblins (like the pointing chap with the mace on his shoulder) would fit in nicely with your half-orc project. They're easily man-sized and suitably nasty-looking.

Offline Randell

• Bookworm
I've been painting up my old Grenedier orcs recently as well, and your work on them is inspiring.  I was considering painting the big orcs as half trolls.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Only seeing these now. Very nice painting.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Lord Borjado

• Librarian
  • Nobody expects Spanish Inquisition
    • 18º de Port Belisario
What a beatiful skin tone! I loves these Nick Lund's orcs