Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:13:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Scenery - Cottages - 16 Feb 2018  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: ECW Scenery - River - Resin Water - new pic 5 Sept
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 04:16:26 AM »
Really great stuff, reminds me I need to get, or make, some better waterways for my table!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 06:21:58 AM »
The river came out very nice, it looks really like a shallow river, I also like that you made thids beautiful bridge as an integral river segment, very natural looking, although it will remain forever the bridge of THIS river  :)
All you thread is a source of isnpiration, I wish you good luck with the continuation of your project!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 07:35:13 AM »
The rivers look awesome, really good water.

The resin is far more self-levelling than the epoxy glue, which is both good and bad. I might wind up adding some ripples with gloss medium over the resin just to give the water a bit of movement.

For ripples and such I always use Woodland Scenics Water Effects:

Just squirt some on a piece of cardboard and apply it with a brush. I think it's an acrylic gel, so you could also get acrylic gel from your local art store. The stuff dries transparent (just don't apply it too thick or drying can take ages and sometimes it cracks) and is perfect for ripples. Here's an examples of a 120mm base done with acrylic gel and Water Effects (with white paint added here and there to simulate foam):

http://paintoholic.nl/images/kraken.jpg
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »
I've got some high gloss white glue I'll try out as ripples on one of the test pieces, but thick gloss medium or the Woodland Scenics stuff is also good to know about.

The river came out very nice, it looks really like a shallow river, I also like that you made thids beautiful bridge as an integral river segment, very natural looking, although it will remain forever the bridge of THIS river  :)
All you thread is a source of isnpiration, I wish you good luck with the continuation of your project!

The bridge was quite fast and easy to construct, I'm not concerned about having to replace it if needed. Given that I wanted relatively wide banks (to help blend the river segments into the rest of the scenery better) the bridge was either going to have to be built-in or really, really long and table-dominating.

I put a few different photos and bit of additional info up on the blog, too: http://www.warbard.ca/2017/09/06/modular-river-part-seven-resin-complete/

The photos over on the blog from slightly further away than the close-up I showed above are closer to what the river will look like on the tabletop - it's quite a bit browner from a bit of a distance.

It's going to be at least a couple of weeks before I have a chance to get an actual game in, of any sort, but I'm going to try to get the river pieces finished for then so I can actually deploy them on a table...

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 11:07:11 PM »
The resin is far more self-levelling than the epoxy glue, which is both good and bad. I might wind up adding some ripples with gloss medium over the resin just to give the water a bit of movement.
Very nice job.  I love a good resin river.
The rivers look awesome, really good water.
For ripples and such I always use Woodland Scenics Water Effects:
That will work.  Here is another option that will work too.  This one sets a bit quicker and will permanently adhere to the resin. 
http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water
I tend to use both materials but I use the water effects for fine texturing around stones or in fountains.
Again Great job.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
The bridge was quite fast and easy to construct, I'm not concerned about having to replace it if needed. Given that I wanted relatively wide banks (to help blend the river segments into the rest of the scenery better) the bridge was either going to have to be built-in or really, really long and table-dominating.

I got your point and I agree. Your bridge is a table gem! Eager to see the bridge and the river in one of your next games!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
Resurrecting my own thread (for the second time, I believe...) as I've started scenery building for ECW again after a long break.

This weekend I sat down and cranked out no fewer than four new buildings. It helped that three of them were tiny wattle-and-daub hovels or labourer's cottages, of course.

The buildings are 1/16th mattboard (picture framing cardboard) with wood coffee stir sticks for the half-timbering and towel for thatch on the roofs. The interiors are accessible but have no painting or details at this point.

My brother Corey has also set himself up with a 3d printer (as seen in his Build Something truck thread) and run me off a batch of wattle fencing from a Thingiverse design. I've used that to put together a couple of fenced garden plots and got the first and larger of them mostly finished this weekend.

There's a few more photos and some discussion of build techniques over on the blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2018/02/25/hovels-gardens/

The fourth building is a stable to go along with the big farmhouse/manor house; I've got photos of that I need to get off my phone later today or this evening.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
Re: ECW Scenery - Cottages - 16 Feb 2018
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Brilliant work.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2018, 01:31:17 AM »
Brilliant work.

Thanks! It's nice to have a productive weekend on the scenery side of things, it's been ages (September maybe?) since I've done any scenery work.

Here's an unpainted photo of the stable. I actually got it painted last night too, but didn't get a photo.

Usual mattboard and coffee stir sticks, measuring 4" wide and 3" deep plus about another half inch or so for the bit of base extending from the front. It'll get doors on the front tonight, propped open.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
It is coming out great!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »
Thanks!

I got a bunch more WIP photos of the stable up on the blog, as well as a blog post title that might amuse some folks. ;)

http://www.warbard.ca/2018/02/26/stable-genius/