Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Late Romans  (Read 88950 times)

Offline Larry R

• Bookworm
    • 7 Pillars of Wargaming
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2017, 12:38:08 PM »
And you use white primer! I haven't used white primer in years. I may have to use that again. Your painting is excellent and I love those GW trees, I'd love to get my hands on some!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
Just noticed your lovely layering guide (somehow missed it before) and I have one question - for the final spot-wash, what shade of the process is the ink matched to?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
Just noticed your lovely layering guide (somehow missed it before) and I have one question - for the final spot-wash, what shade of the process is the ink matched to?
It depends upon the effect you are trying to achieve.  If you want the colors to be darker, use a darker wash.  If you want it to be lighter, use a lighter colored wash.  You could even mix it up, using a darker wash near the lowest recess and a lighter wash near the top. 

I'm lazy, so tend to use the same shade of wash that I used to wash the basecoat and if it makes the lightest highlight too dark, I lighten that highlight with another coat of thinned down paint.  One of the reasons for using thinned paint is that if you make a mistake, you can add additional coats without creating too much build up. 

Regardless of shade, it's important to use a very thin wash.  Also, it has been my experience that washes don't stick to paint very well, so the first coat will go on fairly light, sometimes near invisible.  However, washes do 'stick' to washes, so once that first coat of wash has dried, any subsequent coats of wash will be much darker than expected. 

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
Except for one pose (which is poorly scaled), the Footsore Miniatures wolfhounds are quite nice.  Nevertheless, once I got to see them in person, I realized that none of the poses are quite right for what I have in mind.  Plus, I wanted Mordred's doggies to look a bit more vicious.

After searching around a bit more, I decided to give the Malifaux Guild Hounds a try.  Neither their armor or breed matches that of the Roman war dog (dobermans were first bred in Germany, 1,400 years after the fall of Rome), but their scale, poses and best of all, viciousness are all spot on.   Will I be forgiven for this anachronism?  Who knows.  Do I care?  A little, but I really like these models, so my Britons may end up including two time traveling canines.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Not even painted yet and they look great already. :-* :-*
Keep it coming.

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2017, 05:41:46 AM »
Great looking  :-*

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
This is a tremendous thread. I've been thinking for ages about buying some Footsore Romano British, and this has been the push I needed - I've just ordered some. The figures look superb and you're basing and painting them with real flair. 

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
I have a big collection of these Footsore Byzantine and Arthurians.  They are some of the most impressive minis I've seen.  Great job, Footsore!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
I have a big collection of these Footsore Byzantine and Arthurians.  They are some of the most impressive minis I've seen.  Great job, Footsore!
Most of them were made by Musketeer Miniatures prior to Footsore acquiring the rights to them.

Not that this, in any way, diminishes my love for Footsore Miniatures.  Footsore is still my go-to company for most historicals.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:08:29 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
I need some Viking SAGA dice for my Viking demo Warband.  Not even Gripping Beast can keep them in stock, so I've repurposed some (now worthless), scatter and artillery dice.

I painted white the black numbers and symbols so that they won't show through the SAGA die stickers.

Yes, I know. I could simply use regular D6s (1-3 common, 4-5 uncommon, & 6 rare), but when I'm teaching the game to a beginner, I want his or her focus to be on the rules and battle board options, not translating die pips into unfamiliar symbols.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2017, 06:34:54 AM »
Except for their bases (I'm still waiting for those damn leaves to arrive), I've completed another 6 warriors.  I now have two painted units of 8 warriors, each with a Decanus (or the Romano Briton equivalent) and an infantryman holding a draco.

The 6 point warband that I've been playing includes 3 points of warriors.  Because I've been fielding 1 point of mercenaries (typically Guides), in order to generate 6 SAGA dices, I need for my warriors to generate 3 SAGA dice.  I've experimented fielding them as either three units of 8 warriors or two units of 10 warriors accompanied by a unit of 4 warrior that hides in the rear.  I've found that a unit of 10 combined with their Briton defensive orders can take (and deliver) a pretty good hit and remain combat effective, while the units of 8 warriors tend to struggle.  Right now, two tens and a four is my preferred configuration.

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2017, 06:50:02 AM »
Such splendid work, well done indeed!

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2017, 06:59:10 AM »
These all look amazing — makes me want to pick up a brush again. Terrain is wonderful too. Looking forward to seeing those hounds painted up.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »
Marvellous painting.

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
Great job! Awaiting the finished bases now!