Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686506
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish, & Late Romans  (Read 88961 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
Here's my team's "army list" for the 2018 Adepticon SAGA Team Tournament. The fleeing Roman soldier is guaranteed to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents. 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:04:27 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
Wow!  What an amazing three days of tournaments.

I played doubles with Fluger. We won second place overall, but the most rewarding part of the tournament was getting a chance to play SAGA with six amazing opponents. In the first round we played against Tracy Beech and THE Andy Lyon.  The outcome was never in doubt.  We lost handily. Our next two rounds were played against great guys that I met at last year’s SAGA events, Farshad & Chicago Mike, and Rich & Missouri Mike (or is it Michigan Mike?).  By winning both games we secured second place overall.

My first round opponent in SAGA Singles was played against the host of the SAGA podcast, SAGA Thorsday, Joe (aka ‘The Dude’, aka the ‘Wiscohorndog’).  He played a beautifully painted Byzantine warband. Ultimately the Byzantines triumphed and sent the Briton provincials packing.

In round two I got another shot at Missouri/Michigan Mike. He avenged his earlier loss from the day before by holding me to a draw.  What a great game.

My last game was played againt Jeff and his devious Moors. This was my first game against Moors, so it was really fun learning about what they can do.  Using his superior knowledge of the game and Moorish trickery, Jeff pulled out the win.

I ended the Day 1 Singles tournament with a losing record (my first ever), but I did win ‘best painted’. Woo-hoo!

I began the Day 2 Singles tournament with a game against Chicago John’s gorgeous Spanish Warband.  The Spanish gave John a huge advantage in the scenario, so I was amazed when I ended up losing by only the narrowest of margins.  BTW John went on to win Best Painted, and if you ever get a chance to see his spectacular hand-painted shields, you’ll know why.

I played game two against the overall winner from the Day 1 Singles tournament, Nicholas. Midway through the game I believed that I had him, but then he played (with my urging), The Long Dark, and took back the advantage.  Left with only one SAGA die, my only chance to narrow the scenario point gap and avoid total annihilation eluded me when I failed (two turns in a row), to roll the SAGA die I needed to move my last unit of warriors into the safety of a nearby forest.  On the last turn the Rus Princes’ Warlord and Druzhina cavalry charged and obliterated my last unit of warriors. He kept apologizing for me tabling me. I told him that he had nothing to apologize for. He played a great game and was a fantastic opponent. I was very happy for him. 

I played game three (my very last game of SAGA 1.0) against my good friend Seth.  The game was played with a crowd of our friends around the table and plenty of trash talk.  It looked like I was doing really well, so in a stunning display of cockiness, I used my final turn to pull my entire warband back, out of Seth’s vikings’ reach. I did it to be funny and to tease Seth, but in the end, my hubris was my undoing.  My initial count of the slaughter points put me 4 points ahead of Seth.  Then I realized that I had forgotten to count my 4 hearthguard casualties, so the game ended in a draw. That’s what I get for being a jackass.  We all had a good laugh at my expense, and after thinking about it, a draw against good friend was the perfect way to end 3 days of SAGA tournaments and my last game of SAGA 1.0.

Champions of King (SAGA Doubles) and Rune Carver (SAGA Singles)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:13:15 PM by Koyote »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2018, 05:32:41 AM »
Congratulations on an excellent tournament. :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
Well done on being a jackass Briton ;) It really is a lovely warband you painted. Any in game photos?

PS Your signiature links need to be updated for the new site.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2018, 10:28:17 AM »
Congratulations Koyote. I've seen your army pop up here and there already on the internet.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
Well done on being a jackass Briton ;) It really is a lovely warband you painted. Any in game photos?

PS Your signiature links need to be updated for the new site.
I've updated my signature. Thanks.

Sadly, I didn't take very many photos and the pics that I did snap were taken with my iPhone and in bad light, so they aren't very good.

Here's a couple of photos take by Bill Thornhill, owner of Footsore Miniatures.  I nabbed them from Footsore's Facebook page.

Here's one of my photos.  It was taken midgame against 'The Dude's' beautiful Byzantines.  It's a shame that I didn't take any close ups.

And here's my Britons castling-up against the Moors.  The Moorish battle board punishes opponents who spread out, so I thought it best to deploy everyone within 6" of my Warlord.

Here's Mike's berserkers charging my doomed guides.  This was a hostage scenario, so the individual viking models standing directly behind my Briton units are prisoners, not active units.

Here's a shot from my game against John's Spanish.  The decision that he's making right now is what won him the game.  By using Battle Chaos to place 2 fatigue markers on each my warlord and healthguard,  he saved one of his two remaining mounted units of warriors.  If I had been able to catch and destroy both units, the game would have ended in a draw.  Curse you John and your Spanish trickery. :)

Lastly, here's the set up for the game against my buddy, Seth.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:49:20 PM by Koyote »

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
Superb!

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2018, 04:14:20 AM »
Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #248 on: March 28, 2018, 07:31:53 AM »
Looks great! My mate Steve Holdeman was there, I think with his Byzantines. How did you place overall?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Looks great! My mate Steve Holdeman was there, I think with his Byzantines. How did you place overall?
My team placed second overall in the Doubles.  I forgot to snap a pic of the Day 1 Singles, so I don’t know where I placed, but in the Day 2 Singles I placed 10th (out of 32). My combined Day 1 and Day 2 Singles scores put me at 13th (out of 32) for the Singles “Ironman”.

It looks like Holdeman’s “Ironman” ranking was 14th.

Offline Ajax

• Scientist
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
Your army is absolutly fantastic. One of the most beautiful I have seen on Internet. Congratulations !

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
Your army is absolutly fantastic. One of the most beautiful I have seen on Internet. Congratulations !
Thanks.  It was a fun project.

A lot of the credit goes to Footsore Miniatures for making such great minis.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2018, 03:34:19 AM »
What an inspiring thread, the hobby is always stronger with these kind of posts. I just ordered a bunch of Vikings to start Saga. Thanks for the posts you have inspired me to get into a new period.

William

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
Well, I'm late to the show. I just wanted to comment on your backstory, which not only was the theme of your army, but also dictated your choice of vignettes. Great painting and your color palette choices really, thematically brought the warband together.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #254 on: February 11, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
Well, I'm late to the show. I just wanted to comment on your backstory, which not only was the theme of your army, but also dictated your choice of vignettes. Great painting and your color palette choices really, thematically brought the warband together.
Thanks.

It's a shame that I won't make it to Adepticon this year.  I've heard that one of the SAGA events is a themed Aetius & Arthur event where the participants battle for control of Camelot.  My Briton warband would have been a perfect thematic match for this event.