Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What glue to use for paper to mat?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
What glue to use for paper to mat?
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
I want to do a town/city board with the board done as a big area of cobbles. That way I can put buildings from several periods onto it in any position. I'll get some textured wallpaper for the cobbles and paint as normal.

Normally, this would be straightforward and I'd glue the paper to a board. However I'm running out of space for things and this will probably have to be a mat. So, materials for a mat are probably felt or rubber. But what do I glue them together with? What remains flexible after drying that will let me roll it up afterwards?

Would standard PVA do the job?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Re: What glue to use for paper to mat?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »
Hmm, well Rubber Cement would remain flexible but long term flexibiity Im not sure of. Next that comes to mind is the Kel Seal elastomeric coating I use from a paint store, smooth grade would glue it down and remain flexible, but never have used it to adhere paper. The paper strikes me as the unknown to roll up as a matt though. There are plastic window shade material that is highly flexible, lies resonably flat that might sub in for the backing mat, lol, if mounted on a bar you might be able to use the pull out - roll up effect of a window shade..

These are all just fast thoughts on your post.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
Heh, I like the idea of having a rollerblind game mat :)

An idea that just came to me is vinyl flooring. It's cheap and strong. Would probably make a good mat material and it can come textured. If only I were able to find the right texture, which I doubt.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
I think good ol' PVA should work but if you can find the right vinyl without having to buy a room size remnant that would be better than a home made laminate - almost makes those gaming mats a viable option when you way up the faff and time involved
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:24:03 PM »
Yeah, I'd buy a mat if anyone made what I'm after. Purely for the easy life aspect, and I'm one of those odd people that likes making terrain and boards.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »
Some glues are made for glueing fabric and/or leather. Maybe that would work?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »

Now there's a sensible answer, assuming the paper would take it as well. You can actually get sheets of the stuff you use an iron to glue together. That would be a nice way to glue them, assuming you don't set fire to the paper :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:29 AM »

Now there's a sensible answer, assuming the paper would take it as well. You can actually get sheets of the stuff you use an iron to glue together. That would be a nice way to glue them, assuming you don't set fire to the paper :)

Ah - yes - that stuff you use to affix fabric applications in place before sewing it (to assure the applications lays flat on the base - my wife uses that a lot!).

That should work - the heat from the iron 'melts' the glue, just like a glue gun. If you iron it on the fabric side, no heat damage should occur to the paper. You could then staple the edges to prevent wear and tear separating the layers.

The glue I mentioned above comes in 'tubes' (are they called that in English?) just like a lot of other clear glues, and should be available in craft or DIY stores, if you weant to try that.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:18:06 AM »
For glueing terrain to mounting card etc I've found that copydex (rubber-based) is better than pva (water-based) as there seem to be less issues with distortion and shrinkage, etc - maybe this would also be true for glueing to a backing cloth?

Rubber-glue / latex glue might work, too.

I think some of these methods need testing  ;)