Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Samurai: are they wearing maile?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Perry Samurai: are they wearing maile?
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
I am painting some of Perry's Attacking Samurai Charging with Swords and it looks ike some of them are wearing chain armour along their arms. Do I have that right or is it representing some sort of textured fabric?

It's impossible to see in the photo from the store but I was hoping some one here might have painted some of these fellas.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Perry Samurai: are they wearing maile?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »
Pretty sure it's mail, that's how I've painted it anyway 🙂

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
It is a form of chain mail and was used sparingly. You can paint it sliver or black (I think I've got both on my figures).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 04:09:17 PM »
Awesome, thank you guys. :)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »
Mail was certainly not unusual for samurai limb armour, though I can't recall seeing it on any ashigaru stuff. I have also seen a rather Russian-looking shirt of mail with small plates included; the owner told me it was intended to be worn under clothes by ninjas.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
Mail was certainly not unusual for samurai limb armour, though I can't recall seeing it on any ashigaru stuff. I have also seen a rather Russian-looking shirt of mail with small plates included; the owner told me it was intended to be worn under clothes by ninjas.
That's interesting. I always assumed ninja didn't wear armour of any type. Easier for sneaking.  >:D

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:17 AM »
It's worth remembering that we don't actually have any real evidence for the existence of the black tracksuit and hood. The earliest pictures showing it date from way into the Edo period. Ninjas probably spent a great deal of time in disguise rather than concealment.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:25:47 AM »
It's worth remembering that we don't actually have any real evidence for the existence of the black tracksuit and hood. The earliest pictures showing it date from way into the Edo period. Ninjas probably spent a great deal of time in disguise rather than concealment.
From what I've heard from some people far more invested in studying Japanese history than I am, some ninja might have used a similar "outfit" for certain roles.

Namely in more of the scouting roles with ties to various forces or patrols. But would still not be in the black ones that tend to pop up a lot...whether or not there would be armor incorporated would be another question.

Offline AngusH

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:57:44 AM »
Best way I've heard it described is that ninja was more a verb than a noun (similar to 'viking'), and covered everything from a farmer visiting an enemy city with orders to report back on its defenses to independent landed warriors (kokujin) who might be employed to fill various "special forces" type of roles by more powerful daimyo.

The image of mountain temples full of black pajama wearing, smoke bomb throwing ninja is pure Edo-period (and later) myth as best I can tell, and I've never seen even a single mention of them in any serious book on Japanese history... and I have looked!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Best way I've heard it described is that ninja was more a verb than a noun (similar to 'viking'), and covered everything from a farmer visiting an enemy city with orders to report back on its defenses to independent landed warriors (kokujin) who might be employed to fill various "special forces" type of roles by more powerful daimyo.

The image of mountain temples full of black pajama wearing, smoke bomb throwing ninja is pure Edo-period (and later) myth as best I can tell, and I've never seen even a single mention of them in any serious book on Japanese history... and I have looked!

That's what I've read as well. No pyjamas in sight  lol

cheers

James

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »

Well summarised. Ninjas, ninjutsu, ninja-to - it's pretty much all hooey.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
And they're commonly called shinobi, anyway.

Offline clibinarium

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
Hang on a minute, so is the consensus that Godfrey Ho movies do not represent ninjas accurately?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:49:32 AM »

Not to mention that some Samurai were also ninja...

The term was pretty much for anyone that wasn't, essentially, a frontline soldier at the time...and even then you might have some of the people involved in the fight playing other games there.