Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 562
Total: 564

Recent

Author Topic: Mantinc Terrain Crate kickstarter?  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Mantinc Terrain Crate kickstarter?
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »
Hey guys,

I am a big Mantic fan generally, but I'm not sure how I feel about the value offered here. I like the sculpts and quality, but the price is high I think? Thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/terraincrate-plastic-affordable-fantasy-terrain

Thanks
n

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Mantinc Terrain Crate kickstarter?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:28 AM »
The Dungeon Saga stuff I thought was...exceptionally mediocre (the overall product was so woefully underwhelming I sold my KS off the day after I received it).  I saw nothing quality-wise that would intrigue me to pay much for that stuff.  If the KS explodes, perhaps it'd be worth it (and you may be able to save a lot of that stuff with some great painting).

I think it'll be successful and I think more companies should consider stuff like this, but nothing from Mantic is making me jump on this bandwagon.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »
Way too expensive for what they are offering.  Maybe after a few million pledged the stretch goals will make it slightly tempting to me.

Had they gone with modern terrain items I might be slightly more willing, but as is this one is not for me. 
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:29:57 AM »
I think the idea and execution is very good, but I would like to see some actual cast items. So far it is all 3D renders. Anyone know of some preview pictures around the web?

Elbows: Could you elaborate? Where there casting problems with the stuff? As I am on the fence the Dungeon Saga stuff may give a good indicator of the quality to exspect.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:34:31 AM by Peithetairos »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:46:21 AM »
Peith,

Of the whole Dungeon Saga thing, the furniture was probably the best of the stuff?  I just found almost every part of that game to be sub-par in design and delivered materials.  The cards were poorly/lazily done.  The rulebook had poorly photographed sections, poor print on cheap paper.  The minis were (as expected) made of mediocre material with "okay" detail.  Several of my minis arrived broken - and were too frail to re-glue, etc.  The textured bases were pretty poor.  The whole thing just stank of cheap/lazy production.  I think the furniture in this kind of KS might be fine, as it's thick and hard plastic (hopefully).

Just my experience with a full product from Mantic was extremely underwhelming.  When I can design and print cards nicer than ones I get in a box from a real game studio, I hesitate to support them. 

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:05:17 AM »
I also sold off my dungeon saga. The terrain was the best of that lot and was hard plastic. I would hope this is also hard plastic. I'll keep this on my remind me for the 48 hour notification but am past Mantic's Kickstarters. I also sold off the majority of the Kings of War KS they ran.
Saying that the restic stuff wouldn't be so bad for terrain pieces compared to gaming pieces.

Offline necromorph

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »
I actually found Dungeon Saga to be pretty good. Yes you wont win a Golden Demon with the minis, but I didn't find anything poor, In fact, I think the minis and furniture paint up pretty nicely, and I'm not even a great painter. I liked the game too, but I'm not going in for this. I think its more than I'd be willing to spend in one go for this sort of thing. If there'd been a Dungeon Saga expansion with new quests in, I'd have been more tempted as I'd actually get use of it.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
Same thoughts here, looks expensive for what you get - I was looking at the battlefield set. I thought mantic were known for being cheap and cheerful.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
It's a Mantic Kickstarter, based on previous experiences the quality will be way below what is promised, the renders have far more detail than the cheap chinese plastic finished pieces and the pledge contents will be reduced prior to delivery. Then you will be told this is all to make it a better experience for you.

Would not touch anything they do again with a bargepole.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
Nice stuff but pricey.  I still have stuff from twisting catacomb to finish, so will skip this due to the price.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Hmm, very few of the terrain items they've shown would benefit notably from being made in plastic either, so I'm honestly struggling to see what the point of this KS is. Not to mention that things like tents, fences, barrels, and other such things are made by Renedra in plastic already, and the dungeon furniture looks like a re-hash of their already-plastic DSaga stuff?

Really, I wish Mantic would focus on making better and higher quality products that have some real longevity (perhaps like North Star's recent plastics for example?  ::)), rather that always trying to make as much as possible quickly and poorly with the intention of maybe revisiting it again a few years down the line after it's received harsh criticism.

So unfortunately another pass from me - I've about had by fill of Mantic KS I think, and their last few efforts have left me totally cold.  :?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
I've backed a few Mantic kickstarters and whilst I've generally liked the games the components have tended to be often just ok and frequently poor BUT they are improving. The Walking Dead is an excellent product for example. I think this is something I'll watch, although I'm generally sworn off kickstarters at the moment

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
I'm not usually one to complain about Kickstarters, but it seems rather rich running one for delivery in 2018 when I'm fairly sure they easily have the resources to get this onto the shelves via traditional means.
That said a few of the sets look quite interesting - I could use a good campsite! - so once the sets are in retailers I might pick one up.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »
I bought a campsite cheaply from north star. Remedies campsite. Tents, fireplace and stretchers.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 11:14:50 PM »
I have backed a few Mantic Kickstarters, and haven't had the issues that are described above.

For the first Dreadball Kickstarter, and the two Kings of War kickstarters, and finally the Dungeon Saga kickstarter, I found the quality and detail of the miniatures to be pretty much exactly that shown/described during the kickstarter itself.

My one issue is that there's something about Mantic's design that is different from other miniature manufacturers (like North Star, old GW, Perry, etc.) that makes them hard for me to appreciate... I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is... but it is definitely not the quality of their casting and materials. I really like their dwarves, and their Dreadball stuff is great (if only I liked their designs/sculpts). I like their skeletons as well, and the quality of those plastics have been great for me.

But it does appear too expensive. Perhaps they are planning to grow the size of the offering as they generate more pledges though; they did that in the past with Dungeon Saga as well.

Thanks
n

PS. Incidentally, I am looking to give away my Dungeon Saga stuff, but not because of the quality. It's because I have a million dungeon crawl games and it's unlikely I'll ever play this one! Also, thinking of getting rid of the D&D dungeon crawl board games and Mice & Mystics as well... Also B-Sieged... In fact, I have way too many games to play them all... :) It's more of a problem with me than it is with the quality of the games!