Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A small tussle in the Sudan.  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
Re: A small tussle in the Sudan.
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »

The British forces set out from the safety off their zariba. In the middle photo the cavalry advances on the left flank, Bengal Lancers with the two white horses in front of the Hussars. Unfortunately this was the high water mark of the British advance. The Black Watch nearly reached the native village on the right flank but without support they were eventually over-run. The Mahdist commanders have learnt to throw in the Hadendowah first because they get re-rolls, and give them plenty of support, then keep replacing units as they get knocked back almost on a rolling conveyor belt fashion. The British generals keep forgetting to support their units, or issue "follow me!"' orders and take single units off on flights of folly. They've yet to adopt the brigade square and march slowly up the table. Perhaps next time....... ;)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
the entertainment continues ..

love it
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
jaw dropping stuff!!  :-* :-*

I can but only dream of producing armies on that scale. You must be a very fast painter that's all I can say!

Need to get me one of those mats too.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
You must be a very fast painter that's all I can say!
Thank you cram. I have to squeeze it in between working a 12 hour day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. It takes some doing.
IIRC I started painting these about 2013 and finally finished them in the Summer of 2016. There's mounted Camel Corps and Hussars with improv lances sitting in a box somewhere which I might blow the dust off and paint one day, but to all intents and purposes this lot is done as far as I'm concerned. I did think about doing the Bengal/Bombay infantry as that the only infantry unit I've not tackled, I might do them if I tidy up those unpainted cavalry/camels. My gaming companions however keep moving on to other projects and I have to tackle their whims (WotR 28mm at present) whilst trying to get my own projects finished (long list, see Big Battalions post for starters  :-[ )

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »
Very impressed that you can be so productive with so little time!!

I work an 8.15am to 4.45pm shift Monday to Friday. Some of my free time is taken up with my girlfriend and weight training, but that still leaves me a lot of time left for painting, but I don't paint anywhere near as many figures as you! My problem I think is I get distracted too easily when painting and wander away from the desk to often. I need to train myself to me more focused lol.

Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiration!

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 05:39:05 AM »
My problem I think is I get distracted too easily when painting and wander away from the desk to often. I need to train myself to me more focused lol.

Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiration!

Thank you again! I find the biggest distraction is the computer which sits next to my painting desk as I paint in my office,  and the internet whilst being an amazing help for research is also a huge distraction, especially certain forums  lol lol

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »

Smaller engagement this time, with Egyptian fellahin and Bashi Bazouks reinforced by Egyptian cavalry and Bengal Lancers attempting to storm a Mahdist village along the banks of the Nile.
 Despite some promising early progress the Imperial forces were eventually driven back by the timely arrival of several dhows containing Mahdist reinforcements, and after a surprisingly stoic defence by the Egyptian foot and Bashi Bazouks they were once again put to the sword. Mahdists 3 Imperials 0. :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:49:43 AM by Volleyfire! »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »
Fantastic games, miniatures and table!  :-*

Loving this thread.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
Keep it coming ..lovely pictures

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »

It looks just gorgeous. You have done a great job. Bravo!

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
Stepping back in time a bit here, into the era before the games mat appeared. This is a game of SAGA we had using the battle boards that featured in WS&S magazine one month. Warbases swiftly rattled me some dice off with the appropriate symbols on them and off we went.

We ran several games and swapped sides, but no matter how hard the British player tried tactically he could never win! Once I did manage to almost reach the village, but that was as far as I got before being chopped to bits. The British could never use their firepower effectively enough to hold the Mahdists off and shoot them down before the Hadendowah or Nile Spears closed to hand to hand and mopped them up. Mahdists 4-0.  :D Poor old Bashis copped a packet as usual too. :)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 01:37:53 AM »
Amazing stuff. Very inspirational.

Where did you get the movement trays from? Looks like the holes are staggered in them, which stops the madhists looking too uniformly ranked up. Might get some myself.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Brilliant job MrV

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
...is also a huge distraction, especially certain forums  lol lol

lol You also add to this distraction, but as you see, everybody is happy!
You are doing a great job, following your thread, eager to see your next postings!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
Amazing stuff. Very inspirational.

Where did you get the movement trays from? Looks like the holes are staggered in them, which stops the madhists looking too uniformly ranked up. Might get some myself.

All the movement trays and bases, including the casualty counters, are from Warbases.