Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:30:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vampire Wars Rule Book  (Read 9789 times)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Vampire Wars Rule Book
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:22:28 AM »
I know the rules were not very good but does anyone know if the scenarios in the book were any good?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Vampire Wars Rule Book
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
The rules are not bad and maybe a bit ahead of the time when they were published.  They are not not clearly written and some things are not perfectly understandable to me but we had some fun games with them. The scenarios are ok.
, ,

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »
For Vampire Wars there is also a two-volume scenario book called Realms of Terror and another book called The Antagonists. I'm planning to buy them for inspiration, and use Chaos in Carpathia or a modified version of Mordheim/LOTOW rules instead.

Please keep us posted on your project!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:12:13 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »
I think all of those are worth owning. Some of the games I'd never play like the Himalayan one or the Island of Dr. Moreau inspired one but many others have great ideas - especially if you're not already steeped in Gothic Horror stuff they are a fine introduction.
"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
Yes, there's a lot of inspiration to be had from those scenarios. Some of them call for ridiculous numbers of figures for the genre, but you could always scale them back. I'd still recommend the first two books especially, though.

As for the rules, if you can get past the truly horrific editing, there are actually a lot of great ideas in them. There used to be some clarification pages on the net years ago, but they may be long gone by now. They were very helpful.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
I'm surprised Malamute hasn't popped in. He was saying he'd done a lot of work, once upon a time  :D , getting the rules to work. However, when I asked if I could see his efforts, he'd admitted losing most of it to a failed hardrive.  :'(

I found some of it quite lovely, some of the ideas and the scenarios quite compelling. Just couldn't muddle a game out to save my, admittedly, tarnished soul.

Doug

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 08:59:23 AM »
I'm surprised Malamute hasn't popped in. He was saying he'd done a lot of work, once upon a time  :D , getting the rules to work. However, when I asked if I could see his efforts, he'd admitted losing most of it to a failed hardrive.  :'(

Yes its true, we played it a lot and once you got past the typos int he rule book it was/is a fun playable system. The quality dice idea is not for everyone but we enjoyed it. All of the stuff I created was on a old pc which sadly went the way of the dodo, so I do not have access to these anymore.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 11:34:50 PM »
Yes its true, we played it a lot and once you got past the typos int he rule book it was/is a fun playable system. The quality dice idea is not for everyone but we enjoyed it. All of the stuff I created was on a old pc which sadly went the way of the dodo, so I do not have access to these anymore.
Do you remember roughly what you did? Did you create rules for ambushes for example?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »
Do you remember roughly what you did? Did you create rules for ambushes for example?

Errm, it was probably 20+ years ago now, this thread is 7 years old. Sorry I can't remember back that far lol

I have moved on and now use Fistful of Lead Tales of Horror for my gothic games. Its perfect for my needs.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 12:57:59 PM »
No worries.  lol