Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689593
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Argad arthurian AAR] A Village between them  (Read 7020 times)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: [Argad arthurian AAR] A Village between them
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
Thanks guys.  :) Yes the hillfort is scratch-built (except the houses on top of it, which are resin) it was finished a few days before the game by the game organizer.

The broch and the monastery cells are also scratch-built (made by someone else) and new hills had also been made. We are lucky these times, some members of our gaming group are very productive.

I've been to Dunadd and your hill fort looks quite like the painting of how it might have looked which is on the site.
That's good praise indeed! :)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
I didn't know that the two players who made the Pictish hillfort had taken pictures during its construction!

They have just shared them (text in French, but the pictures are self-explanatory):

http://argad.forumculture.net/t1793-la-construction-du-fort-picte#16373

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
Some wonderful eye candy in here along with very interesting commentary, especially the pissy mead*.
 :-* :-*

Loving the fort too.
Must avoid distraction although that idea is VERY tempting**.
 :D

*which also explains a few things about some home brewers.....  ;)

** The saving grace being that I have no idea what I would use it for.....

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
Great stuff. The hill fort is ace, but I really like the trees, they look like real twigs?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
Outstanding in every way.
Love it.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Ehouarn

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
Hi folks, thanks for all the compliments about my hill fort, I do appreciate and the more as this is my first realization of a big scenary. I'm usely more involved in figures painting with - as many of you I presume - a "heap" constantly growing  ::)

But I had this project from years in my mind and when I saw some falls of Styrodur in a friend's workshop it decided me to act and make a nice surprise to my friends for the game I was going to be the GM.
Only Jacques (with a mustasch on the picture) who helped me was in the secret. He is a very good scenary maker - see the broch in our pictures - and gave me very good advice and help.

Patrice has put a link on our website to show you the manufacturing steps. This will make you improve your french  :D

I've been to Dunadd and your hill fort looks quite like the painting of how it might have looked which is on the site

Thanks for the information. I've had a look to the pictures I could find on the web, and I am flattered by the comparison  8)

I'll be in Scotland at the end of the month, arriving in Edinburgh the 25th of may. My trip plan is to go to Dunbarton the next day and to spend the night of the 26th in Oban (I have to assume I also like Whisky) .
As I rent a car, i see on the map I can take the road to Dunadd too and it will be a great pleasure to visit it.

After the night in Oban I'll go to Eilean Donan castle, that I dream to see for years too. Then I will see if i can drive until Culloden - wich might be to far ? - as I have to be In Perth for the night of 27th. Then back to Edinburgh after a stop in Stirling on the 28th with a flight back to France on the 29th.

If some of you guys are on my road at these times, I'll be glad to drink a pint of beer or a whisky talking about our historical adventures with our minis  ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:06:15 AM by Ehouarn »

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
I'm with the rest of the community, I love that hillfort. Great story and a battle!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
Just wonderful, Patrice and friends. The miniatures, the tabletop, the scenarios, all came together beautifully. I loved all the great little details across the whole table.

Which reminds me. I've had those model beehives two years now; it's past time I got some paint on them.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »
Which reminds me. I've had those model beehives two years now; it's past time I got some paint on them.

Where are they from?

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 10:21:41 AM »
this is my first realization of a big scenary.

Now we must write a list of all the wonderful terrain elements you will make for us for Xmas. :P

I really like the trees, they look like real twigs?

Yes real twigs of thin and very hard wood, with modelling foliage glued on. The player who made them is a landscape worker for a town council :) he says the higher ones are made from "Australian mintbush" (Prostanthera?)
...I didn't know we have Australian mint growing in Brittany... someone should study the effects of global warming on wargame terrains...
and the small ones are floral parts of Sagittaria (an aquatic plant).

This sometimes causes philosophical debate in our gaming group ::) some players think that miniature trees should stand very high above the miniature soldiers because real trees are very tall, and others think that the trees should be small because our miniature hills cannot be real scale and the trees should not look taller than the hills...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:23:24 AM by Patrice »

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
Where are they from?

1st Corps have a nice range of resin Dark Age buildings and accessories.
http://1stcorps.co.uk/product-category/other/dark-age/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »
Lovely work Ehouarn  :-*

I'll be in Scotland at the end of the month, arriving in Edinburgh the 25th of may. My trip plan is to go to Dunbarton the next day and to spend the night of the 26th in Oban (I have to assume I also like Whisky) .
As I rent a car, i see on the map I can take the road to Dunadd too and it will be a great pleasure to visit it.

After the night in Oban I'll go to Eilean Donan castle, that I dream to see for years too. Then I will see if i can drive until Culloden - wich might be to far ? - as I have to be In Perth for the night of 27th. Then back to Edinburgh after a stop in Stirling on the 28th with a flight back to France on the 29th.

If some of you guys are on my road at these times, I'll be glad to drink a pint of beer or a whisky talking about our historical adventures with our minis  ;)

I'm south of London I'm afraid, otherwise I would meet you for a drink!

But I think you will enjoy the west coast of Scotland. It's stunningly beautiful and full of history.
If you are in Oban, it's a shame not to take the car ferry over to Mull, drive across the island, and from there another short ferry across to the Island of Iona. It's one of the world's great trips to a wonderful historic site  (I've done it several times - it's an amazing place :))

Offline Ehouarn

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
I'm south of London I'm afraid, otherwise I would meet you for a drink!

Ok Captain, i give you a sign when I go to London  ;)
Last time was almost 40 years ago, must be some changes I believe  ::)

For the the Hebridean tour it will be an other time too  :?

Offline hallmarkFPS

• Bookworm
    • HALLMARK FIGURE PAINTING
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
lovely set up!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
1st Corps have a nice range of resin Dark Age buildings and accessories.
http://1stcorps.co.uk/product-category/other/dark-age/

They certainly do.
Thanks for the pointer.
 :)