Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jacob's Rifles 2nd Afghan War  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Jacob's Rifles 2nd Afghan War
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 07:57:31 AM »
It would be great to see a thread that had examples of everyone's interpretation of these :-). I'm anxiously waiting for mine to arrive any day now.

My current thinking is Khaki top and trousers, with green Turban (and red kullah) and puttees. Workmanlike with a few nods to the units purpose. I'm undecided on the leather-work. From the thread posted on the VW forum I get the impression that Mike Snook leans towards entirely khaki with perhaps the kullah in red.

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
My friend, unfortunately there are no kullah on these models, you are supposed to mold them from the green. And about the turban of the color of khaki, I'm not a supporter of this point of view, almost in all the drawings and photos of that time turban colored, mass introduction of khaki will be later.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
Ah, interesting, thank you for the info :-)

Obviously local khaki production had been widespread in India for several decades by this point, so I can see the logic that regiments based in India had access to khaki items while on campaign (rather than rely on general Army issue). I agree though that coloured turbans are not only most commonly illustrated but just look better!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
It's true, no kullahs on the Perry Jacob's Rifles figures, which I believe is accurate.

Red kullahs for the 1st Bombay Native Infantry, aka: the Bombay Grenadiers, who are one of the only Indian regiments I know of wearing khaki turbans during the Second Afghan War, and were also present at Maiwand. 
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
Mad, there could be a problem with the translation. I mean that there are no kullahs on perry models at all and they need to be done from Green Stuff

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 03:09:05 AM »
Andrei, I understood, but the wording of my reply is probably what was confusing.

I meant to say the Perry Jacob's Rifles figures not having kullahs seems like it's probably accurate, as some photos and illustrations I have seen of soldiers in Baluchi regiments from the 1860s show them in big turbans with no kullah visible.  It's true, this is in opposition to the quote I posted from Carman, which distinctly mentions a "red kullah" as part of the official uniform of Jacob's Rifles in 1861.

When I search around on Google for Baluchi turbans I find little or no evidence of kullahs, but on the other hand, there are many photos showing Baluchi regiments from the 1890s and early 20th Century (like the ones you posted earlier in this thread) which show Baluchi soldiers wearing their turbans wound around very visible kullahs.

Personally, I don't think I would add kullahs to the Perry Jacob's Rifles figures, as I think they look good as is.

Also, I think however the Perrys sculpted them very likely incorporates the most up-to-date and best-informed version of historical accuracy, as seems to be the case with them painting the 66th Regiment's puttees all blue, as per Mike Snook.

Here's one more piece of info re: 30th Bombay Native Infantry (Jacob's Rifles) uniforms at Maiwand, which I knew I remembered having read long ago, and finally tracked down to its source: namely, the old Wargames Foundry "VICTORIANA" catalogue.  In "The North West Frontier" section, under the heading "2nd AFGHAN WAR 1878-80" on page 94, is the entry:

30th Bombay NI (Jacob's Rifles)
Described as wearing short, tight-fitting khaki jackets, with trousers of the same material.  Brown leather gaiters and boots.

Potentially more helpful, but potentially more confusing as well, with the mention of "brown leather gaiters" as opposed to puttees!

No source is noted, but it is a very specific quote and I would assume whoever transcribed it, found it in a primary source.  But who knows, it may be an example of when I ASSUME, I make an A$$ out of U and ME.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:13:19 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 05:52:56 AM »
Thank you Mad! You are just a fount of information! I'm also not going to change the miniatures of my brothers. And on the account of trousers khaki-I do not want to do them. We are all the same vargeimery, and the red trousers are the distinctive sign of the Baluchi and it looks beautiful on the game table.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
Andrei - congratulations for provoking such a useful thread with a single figure!  :D
Now, we need to see some more I think  ;)

Mad Guru - a goldmine of information as ever. Many thanks.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Thank you Keith. My goal was to get the opinion of colleagues on this issue. And the continuation will necessarily be, I plan a detachment of 20 figures.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
Andrei your stuff is always interesting. Always fascinating to see some unit I have never heard of before bought to life.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »
Thank you my friend. That nice to hear!

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
Good afternoon friends! Finally, I completed my platoon Jacob's Rifles:

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 07:46:56 AM »
Nice work as usual, Andrei!

At some point down the line I will have to get a unit's worth of these new Perry Jacob's Rifles/30th Bombay Native Inf. figures for myself, to replace the Perry Sudan Sikhs I have been substituting for them since 2010.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:33:42 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
Thank you my friend! These miniatures are really very good, excellent work of the Perry brothers! I was very pleased when I painted them.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Excellent painting, Andrei.
Very interesting thread about what the uniform colors where.
My rule of thumb is, if in doubt, go with the most colorful.
Semper Fi, Mac