Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Star core in other genres....  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
Rogue Star core in other genres....
« on: May 03, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »
Bought the rules,  read most of it,  watched four-five AARs,  and like what I see.

Questions:
How do you feel the game will translate into other genres?

Old West?

Post Apocalyptic Zombies?

Pulp?

Have you tried different genres with them?

My Thoughts:
I'm looking for a good core of rules to run many different styles of games on.  By reducing options in team development, and adding genre specific special rules, I think this might work out.  I like my games to be campaign/rpg lite with character and team development.

Zombies:  The players can start as civillians with low skills and eventually work to more serious survivors/raiders.......  It would need another way for two players to play normally but with a zombie activation system bolted on.  Resource management would also be important.

Nam:  Small heroic free force squads vs NVA and VC might be fun too.   Would need a simpler way to handle large numbers of VC.

Old West:   These might work very well.  Just remove the high tech and psionics and it should be fine (unless you want the weird west feel). 

Bug Hunt/ Alien:   Doable as is.....with maybe some small theme tweeks like missions, pacing, and exploration added.

OK,   I started the ball rolling......lets hear what you think.

my 2 cents

Skipper

Skipper

"No challenge is too small.......or too large!"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rogue Star core in other genres....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »
Well, not quite what you are talking about as not a change of genre, but for a while my friend has.been and I have had a notion of doing a mash-up of rules between Rogue Stars and AK47, using some of the nice mechanisms from each...where RS has one unit of up to 5 individuals , AK47 has 5 units (which mihght, so that part would seem an easy scale up. It appeals to me because each unit can be different, for instance one of Alien Mercs or robots, or a couple of vehicles etc.. collecting figures for two opposing forces now, although it will be a while before anything is ready for a game.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
Re: Rogue Star core in other genres....
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
I like the idea of using the rules set for 'the 'Nam'. As for how to handle large number of VC/NVA troops, I'd suggest using the Red Shirt rule listed in one of the previous posts in this forum. It would also work for recreating fights in other low-intensity modern conflicts, or even doing fights depicted in the old Mack Bolan novels. Some tinkering would need to be done to handle the profundity of weapons used, as 'Nam saw weapons from Stone Age level stuff to cutting edge (for the 1960's) equipment.