Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley's The Lost World of Lemuria: Death Rides the Sky AAR 25 March  (Read 14470 times)

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Re: The Lost World: ORIGINS Pulp Alley AAR (finally!) 6/8 Page 5
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Thank you for the excellent advice. I have been using Loctite, but I must try the Gorilla glue. Yes, Mila's bases are excellent.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Lost World: ORIGINS Pulp Alley AAR (finally!) 6/8 Page 5
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2017, 04:50:15 PM »
Actually, looking back at the photos it seems that the Ultra-Inviso bases aren't as prone to fogging as the Litko acrylic bases. Notice the slight fogging at Doc Flynn's feet in this now-famous photo.

I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Pulp Alley's The Lost World of Lemuria: Death Rides the Sky Feb 26 page 6
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2018, 11:04:42 PM »
Returned to the Lost World on Saturday Feb 23 at Wintercon2018 put on by the Detroit Metro Gamers. The scenario was Death Rides the Sky from the Lost World of Lemuria.

A full AAR will follow in good time, but in the meantime, here are some photos. The outlander Leagues were Doc Flynn's crack International Research and Exploration Society team and a Guild of Thirteen unit (called Forschungsgruppe) led by the famed archaeologist Dr. Kossinna. Two native Leagues were represented: Aleena's Amazons and Drekk's Neanderthals.

The major Plot Point is the orb in the temple atop this old volcanic hill. The hill is a Lemax Spooky Town Hill Top Display Platform #74636 which has been modified to be gaming friendly. For scenario purposes only the upper level was perilous and the scenario rules for climbing the hill were in effect for characters coming from any direction (i.e., there was no benefit from going up the stairs!). The original looks like this:

Another view of the hill later in the game. The Pteranodons are from Andrew Mae's Antediluvian Miniatures. I used minis instead of circling markers for scenic effect. When a Pteranodon was used as an NPC we put a sprig of lichen on the base, like the guy in the lower right.

Starting positions. This is a 4' by 4' game mat, so the yellow dice mark the corners of the 3' by 3' gaming surface called for in the scenario. Leagues may deploy within 6" of the corners.

Thuvia the Snake Priestess lets loose her Snake Breath ability to unleash a Long Burst on Kossinna.

Elsa Shneider of the Kossinna's League attempts a minor plot point, the Terror Bird eggs. I used minis to symbolically represent the Perils at Plot point and they had no other effect. This confused one of my regular players: "No Rodger, you can't shoot at the Cave Bear!"

Drekk attempts to seized the Wooden Idol, another minor Plot Point.

Doc Flynn comes up one success short on the treasure chest minor Plot Point, so Sidekick Tobias Turnbull gives it a go. Will he succeed?!?

Aleena attempts to retrieve the journal from Dr. Blackthorn's decaying and dismembered body. The Peril, a charging Platybelodon, will give her fits. Will she ever seize the Plot Point?

Professor Eva unleashes her Tesla Arc Pistol on an attacking Rhamphorhynchus, catching a pair of Neanderthals in the burst!

It starts to get interesting at the top of the hill as the Leagues jockey for the Major Plot Point. At the moment Drekk has the edge: will he prevail?!?  >:D

Details to follow.....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:12:17 PM by oabee »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Pulp Alley's The Lost World of Lemuria: Death Rides the Sky Feb 26 page 6
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2018, 05:22:26 AM »
Surely his brawn and animal like reflexes will be no match for the erudition and technology of his evolutionary betters???

Online Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »
Nice terrain and figures, particularly the prehistoric beasts, which are very nicely painted. I may have missed this but is the platybelodon also from Dee Zee Miniatures?

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2018, 11:07:27 AM »
Nice terrain and figures, particularly the prehistoric beasts, which are very nicely painted. I may have missed this but is the platybelodon also from Dee Zee Miniatures?

Yep. So is the Cave Bear. Sabre Toothed Tiger and Terror Bird (Axebeak) are Reaper.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
Great use of that rock, very pulpy!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Thank you for the info

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
Wow! Inspiring work.  :-* :-*

THANKS for playing and sharing Pulp Alley!   :D

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
The second convention scenario of Death Rides the Sky was held on March 17, 2018 at Pro or Con Battlefields in Livonia, Michigan. Here is an after action report of that game. The occaision was marked by the first time I have Forgotten to Bring Something Important To A Convention since I started doing convention games: I forgot my deck of Fortune Cards!  :o

Fortunately, the con was held at an Elks Club, and the kitchen staff serving goodies that day allowed me access to the office copy machine, so I made up a set of cards right out of the Pulp Alley rule book, and was able to carry on. Whew.  ;D

Great, great fun...even though the ending was one-sided. All the players enjoyed themselves immensely, embracing the spirit of the rules in a fine manner.

A PDF of the AAR is here: http://wrgmr.com/lost%20world/death%20rides%20the%20sky.pdf

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:41:23 PM by oabee »

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Great looking table! That Lemax hill is a superb centrepiece!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Great photos and a well written adventure! I don't think I have ever witnessed a character as lucky as Gustav Kossinna.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Great photos and a well written adventure! I don't think I have ever witnessed a character as lucky as Gustav Kossinna.

Here's Kossinna's card [the Swordsman skill is the same as Fierce...it just illustrates why he's so good at Brawling!]:

Just to review: On the turn in question , he had to pass the following Extreme Perils: 1. activating in an extremely perilous area (hilltop); 2. moving within 6" of a pterosaur circling marker; and 3. attempting the major plot point. Then he had to roll three successes with any skill to take the plot point. I don't recall the particulars except that he rolled four Brawl dice to score three successes for the Major Plot Point, but it was a combination of some fairly easy random challenges and some excellent dice rolling. Also note that in the prior turn he had climbed the cliff, another Extreme Peril, and exchanged ranged fire with the Amazon leader without suffering a hit.

And thanks for the kind words!

Online Elk101

• Elder God
Lovely figures and table set up and a very Pulp looking AAR. Excellent stuff, thank you for sharing it.

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
This! This is super fantastic  :-* :-* Awesome job.