Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pirate Island project - Second raid of San Padolfo 02.09.2018 p.15  (Read 27180 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pirate Island project - Second raid of San Padolfo 02.09.2018 p.15
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »
Τhose are slanderous lies! The coat was pure mink.
And the day after arriving at the island Lord Ruffingston produced the proper paperwork that named him the Governor to a citizen's meeting.
He would have done so on the day he arrived, but ink takes longer to dry in humid climates.

(you can tell who played his Lordship in our game, can't you?)

Aris K.

Mink?  So he was a mink breeder, I learn it just now!
Something extremely rare to see in 19th c. Britain! Thank you for the info!

I was just preparing to write my warmest thanks for the players!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:27:34 AM by DintheDin »
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
My thanks for the players!

To ArisK, who, as the Governor put a heroic fight to save his home from the pirate scoundrels and take his daughter back!
To Guldor, the Major of the City Guard, who played a clever game, but luck is unforgiving!
To Miltiades, Miltiades' cousin, Captain Vesselbloom, who nearly missed to find the girl first, at least he managed not to bloom entirely his vessel again!
To Antiochos, who, as Blueberry, the other pirate who, with cunning play had the last chance to stop Miltiades leaving with Elmira!
Finally, to Miltiades, who, playing with the notorious Yellowbeard, gave an Errol Flynn flavor to this adventure!
One more thanks to him for being an excellent host and for the pain to bring all this clutter from his basement so that we had a lot of fun and enjoyed a thrilling game! Part of the pictures is also his! Cheers!

Indonesian statisticians Forwan Ntai and Youmei Ntai have studied the lethal effects of bad die throwing at least for the life of the figures of the bad die thrower.
A reverse study has proved that ample throwing of 5s and 6s help prolong the health of one's character throughout the course of a game, something which I always try to prove in my own games, with partial success I admit.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:16 PM »
OUTSTANDING! A FINE tale of daring-do spiced with some WONDERFUL character names & some truly horrendous puns...the best kind.
VERY WELL DONE!
The Continuing Adventures will be awaited with bated breath.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
OUTSTANDING! A FINE tale of daring-do spiced with some WONDERFUL character names & some truly horrendous puns...the best kind.
VERY WELL DONE!
The Continuing Adventures will be awaited with bated breath.

I'm really glad you liked it and much more that you'd like to see a sequel! Let's see what we can do about that  ;)
...truly horrendous puns... this is a great compliment! Thank you!!!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2018, 08:34:13 PM »
Puns are an acquired taste meant for a discerning palate. They enrich tales & drive off the unworthy...I've probably alienated a fair number of Forum Folk with that...c'est la vie, eh?.
My own little collection of painted & unpainted Pirates is getting a long look at.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2018, 10:54:32 PM »
I haven't read all of the battle report yet, but I just had to let you know that it's amazing how much narrative you put into this scenario. The terrain is really cool, but with all these colourful characters and the little stories you fill it with life.

Also: Having the photos of the action which takes place before dawn be in black&white is genius. It's such a simple and clear way of setting it apart and adding another bit of drama to the whole presentation. I'll have to remember this. :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »
Puns are an acquired taste meant for a discerning palate. They enrich tales & drive off the unworthy...I've probably alienated a fair number of Forum Folk with that...c'est la vie, eh?.
My own little collection of painted & unpainted Pirates is getting a long look at.

I always have fun when I find in other's writings that something is written between the lines.
And puns must be carefully thought and thrown in the text with care, or else they become... buns.

As for the pirates, do you think that I'm trying to lure you? Do you think?  lol
Follow your heart, me heartie! 

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »
Another great story , Din . Thanks  to you and all your crew for keeping us entertained. 😂😂😂

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
I haven't read all of the battle report yet, but I just had to let you know that it's amazing how much narrative you put into this scenario. The terrain is really cool, but with all these colourful characters and the little stories you fill it with life.

Also: Having the photos of the action which takes place before dawn be in black&white is genius. It's such a simple and clear way of setting it apart and adding another bit of drama to the whole presentation. I'll have to remember this. :D

Thank you greatly for your kind words! I would be extremely glad if you would read all through the story and come back to comment! As for the black&white photos, ok... it was night  lol

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2018, 09:06:49 AM »
Another great story , Din . Thanks  to you and all your crew for keeping us entertained. 😂😂😂

Thank you! If you had fun, this means that I fulfilled my task  :)
The game went so well that it was a pleasant surprise, as I had only two nights to devise a scenario, make some game cards and work on some additional rules.
I also received enthusiastic comments from the crew, this is very encouraging for continuing this sort of games, the only problem is to be finding time and place available!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »
After the battle, Miltiades put some of my houses together and made a "neighborhood".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:55:02 AM by DintheDin »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »
Some more

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »
Dinos' pirate games (those I've played in, anyway) tend to be closer to an RPG session than a run-of-the-mill miniatures game. He puts a lot of work in designing and populating the place, gives us a briefing on the essentials, and then it's up to the players to drive the game according to their understanding of their characters and the setting.
For example, playing Lord Ruffingston, I was told that I was at the Residence with six soldiers but not about the available reinforcements. But understanding that in a place like San Padolfo (and in every pirate movie I've ever seen!) there *must* be a patrol in some dark alley made me tell Dinos, as soon as the sentries raised the alarm, that the Governor calls all available troops to him, and he diced for when they'd arrive. And I'm pretty certain that if I hadn't figured that out, Dinos had an alternative in mind for how they would turn up.
The end result is that you pretty quickly slip into not playing the game but playing your character and his "crew". It's great fun.

Aris K.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
Dinos' pirate games (those I've played in, anyway) tend to be closer to an RPG session than a run-of-the-mill miniatures game. He puts a lot of work in designing and populating the place, gives us a briefing on the essentials, and then it's up to the players to drive the game according to their understanding of their characters and the setting.
For example, playing Lord Ruffingston, I was told that I was at the Residence with six soldiers but not about the available reinforcements. But understanding that in a place like San Padolfo (and in every pirate movie I've ever seen!) there *must* be a patrol in some dark alley made me tell Dinos, as soon as the sentries raised the alarm, that the Governor calls all available troops to him, and he diced for when they'd arrive. And I'm pretty certain that if I hadn't figured that out, Dinos had an alternative in mind for how they would turn up.
The end result is that you pretty quickly slip into not playing the game but playing your character and his "crew". It's great fun.

Aris K.

Aris! I thank you greatly, because you described me so vividly, as I possibly would not describe my self in a best written CV  lol
I am Gemini is zodiac, you know, and Gemini's left hand doesn't know what Gemini's right hand does  lol lol lol
P.S. Many other things could have happened in this scenario, maybe more exciting than these that happened actually  8)
If -in any case- you were late to ask, I was going to tell you, but thanks that you asked!!! On time!!!  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
Aris, to tell you the truth, the "missing" patrol, *could* have your missing daughter, disguised as a soldier, as one of the game cards describes.
Cheers!

P.S. And this patrol could have collided with one of the other game characters, before you could retrieve her  ;)