Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Steel Fist Miniatures 16th century Knights question...  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Nachtbringer240

• Assistant
Steel Fist Miniatures 16th century Knights question...
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
or rather "I bought some models on a whim and now I don't know what to do with them!"

Now in the last few months, I've managed to get a job that looks like it's going to be quite a permanent thing. Nothing big, purely pulling £200 a week (give or take. Mainly take), which means that I can now buy more wargaming stuff. Although my work schedule doesn't really let me play any major games yet.
Now in the recent months, my interest in Renaissance history has spiked back up again (I'm planning on painting some Warlord Games War of Religion models for the 452nd Anniversary of the Great Siege of Malta this month) and as a consequence of that, I've been looking at the various models available. In looking at some things for the rule of Henry VIII of England, I stumbled across this blog: Camisado http://camisado1500s.blogspot.co.uk/, especially their landsknecht models.
I'll cut the preamble now since this is nearly waxing lyrical; When I was looking through their models, I saw them mention a company called Steel Fist Miniatures, which sell 16th century knights/men-at-arms/gendarmes and after looking through their catalogue, I decided to buy some of their products, mainly these knights: http://www.steelfistminiatures.com/products/16th_century_knights/ren_4.html

Now, they arrived this morning and it's only when I opened the package that I realised: I have ZERO plan on how to use them. I did envision using one of them alongside some of The Assault Group's Maximilian-range landsknechts, but I'm now having second thoughts. I want to maybe do something for the early years in the Italian Wars, but admittedly my knowledge of the Early Renaissance in Western Europe is a bit slim, so any help would be appreciated.
And I have to say in advance that this sort of thing (being able to ask complete strangers for help) is one of the reasons I enjoy being in this hobby.
Just a wanna be modeler.

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
Re: Steel Fist Miniatures 16th century Knights question...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
My original plan, on buying the dismounted Steel Fist knights, was to use them in command stands, and in the front rank of French pike blocks of Perry plastic pikemen.

That hasn't gone very far yet, but I think it will still be the case. However, I might not use the Perry plastics as originally planned, but look for other suitable figures that match.

But hey, it will be a while yet, so I may very well change my mind again!

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
The Steel Fist Renaissance knights are a joy. I will be using some of the dismounted ones as hero figures for To the Strongest. The mounted ones will be forming units. The Assault Group Landsknechts are early Renaissance i.e. 1490s to about 1515. This is why they are mostly clean shaven and their dress is not as flamboyantly slashed as the post 1520 Landsknechts. The entire Assault Group Italian Wars range is designed for this earlier period at the start of the C16th.

Confusingly the Assault Group Swiss in French service look like the traditional idea of a Landsknecht. This is because as time moved on both Landsknecht and Swiss dress became much more flamboyant. These Swiss figures have been produced for the Camisade of Boulogne, Henry VIII's campaign in France in the 1540s (TAG also produce the English and French for this campaign).

Earlier Swiss are produced by both Old Glory and Artizan Designs, and of course the Perry's Continental mercenaries figures can be used for this earlier period using their Swiss, Tudor and Italian head packs.Here is a mix of Old Glory, Artizan and Perry early Swiss:

The halberdiers are old GW plastic Empire figures.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »
Nachtbringer240, have you seen this thread? TAG's mid-period Swiss might due out later this summer might also work for you. With a minimum of work, they could be used as Landsknecht circe 1520 plus a bit (see the second post from Condottiere).

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »
I'm probably going to use my steel fist dismounted men at arms as command for my foundry landsknechts ,on separate command stands and with Perry plastics and maybe the warlord plastic landsknechts  (when I get them! , oh and Leman your pike unit looks great!
Best Iain

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
They lend themselves very well to Landsknecht command and would easily for other nations as well as for separate command vignettes

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Here's a closer pic, they're an absolute joy to paint

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:36:38 AM »
Stuart, they are a joy to see those you have painted !

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:36:38 AM »
Fantastic paintwork  :o :o :o

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
Thanks

When the figures are as good as these the painting is halfway done.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
I really like the Steel Fist figures.
These are in a cabinet at the moment but may be used for Burgundian commanders from time to time.

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »
I like 'em!

Offline Nachtbringer240

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 12:10:38 AM »
I got literally no notifications that this thread had been posted in and I missed all of this!!
Ah, I feel horrible. :c