Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689494
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Will we ever see WW1 plastic miniatures in 28mm?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Will we ever see WW1 plastic miniatures in 28mm?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »
I can't see it happening.  I don't think there's enough of a market for this period in 28mm plastic, basically.  The Victrix renders didn't look right (which is strange, as their recent Ancients work has been top-notch).  I expect that most people wanting to game WW1 in 28mm will just go straight to one of the excellent metal ranges like Great War Minis, Woodbine or Brigade. 

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »
Best bet for WW1 plastics is a Bolt Action expansion.

First company to come up with an accessible, coherent range will be able to make a nice wad on WW1 in 28mm.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »

First company to come up with an accessible, coherent range will be able to make a nice wad on WW1 in 28mm.

Then I suggest you hire yourself a sculptor, talk to Renadra about tooling, run yourself a nice little Kickstarter and grab that nice wad for yourself.
 :D

Sarcasm aside:
Plastics need to sell in volume to make economic sense.
So you either need
  • a large player base (WW2, Fantasy)
  • large units(Ancients)
  • both (Naps, ACW)

WW1, for a variety of reasons doesn't have a large player base. Compare the posting frequency on this board with pretty much any other on Lead Adventure.
Mostly I'd suggest it's to do with the War Poets/Blackadder version of the war. And whilst I think that view can be challenged having just gamed Oppy Wood and with the centenary of Paschendale just around the corner I (and many other gamers) still have some sympathy with the Lions/Donkeys analogy.
So if WW1 doesn't have a big player base you need big units in order to make your investment worthwhile..But WW1 in 28mm (for most gamers) is always going to be a skirmish game. 50-60 models a side maximum So that's what, 2 boxes of plastics and a few metals.

Victrix didn't can their renders because folk were mean about them. They did the maths and walked away (I imagine)
Likewise Warlord announced a BA WW1 supplement a few years ago and then gauged the reaction and decided not to do it.

If you were ever going to successfully launch WW1 plastics now, or really 3 years ago, was your best chance for success. The fact that non of the big boys have jumped in tells you there just isn't a market for it (at least not until the price of plastics tooling drops much further).

Fortunately we are blessed with some excellent metal ranges from Great War,  Scarab and Woodbine,  and even in metal 60 models won't beak the bank.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »
WHOOSH - the sound of "accessible, coherent range" sailing right over your head.  :D

We enthusiasts often don't know what we "need" until we're told it ... or rather sold it, to be both more clear and accurate. I guess you misread into my post the notion that just anyone can do it.  WW1 in 28mm is waiting for a team with the right mix of creativity, inspiration, and industry knowledge. Anyone focusing on the "existing playerbase" has already failed.

I do agree that the Great War has a problematic brand image, thanks to these interminable sighs of dulce et decorum.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:15 PM »
No sound effect needed. I read what you said an think that you're wrong.
 :D
And that you overestimate the power of marketing in a niche market (and a niche within that niche)

I look forward to your Kickstarter proving me wrong.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
Prattling on about me running a KS proves you haven't understood what I wrote, since I am plainly suggesting success, while possible, will take more than an amateur's enthusiasm.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 10:29:24 PM »
Shame PSC don't seem to have continued expanding The Great War - albeit those figures were in 15mm, I was hoping for their plastics for that to be expanded into a full (even if basic) range.

Which I appreciate has no bearing on the discussion regarding 28mm!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 10:33:14 PM »
They're pretty nice all the same. Wonder if PSC would consider "blowing them up."

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »
Prattling on about me running a KS proves you haven't understood what I wrote, since I am plainly suggesting success, while possible, will take more than an amateur's enthusiasm.

I think what's happened is I've ( reasonably politely) explained why I believe WW1 plastics won't happen, whilst you are bandying personal insults and are claiming it's a great opportunity but  providing no evidence in support of your argument.

This creative team sounds like the wargaming equivalent of The Dirty Dozen or the A-Team. Good luck with recruiting them.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »
I think what's happened is I've ( reasonably politely) explained why I believe WW1 plastics won't happen
meanwhile, in reality
Then I suggest you hire yourself a sculptor, talk to Renadra about tooling, run yourself a nice little Kickstarter and grab that nice wad for yourself.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
I did  say " reasonably"  and I added a smiley.
And then acknowledged I was being sarcastic.

Would you like me to delete that line?
I don't think it's necessary to support my argument and I hate it to stand in the way of you providing evidence to support your claims.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 11:36:48 PM »
Adding a smiley doesn't make this false dilemma more reasonable (or less rude): "TWD is correct unless Manchu runs a successful KS." That's your first line of argument fallacy. Your second is that WW1 28mm plastics cannot exist because they do not already exist. For the sake of argument, put aside that "certainty." What would it actually take to successfully bring this product to market? We'll also assume the talented and knowledgeable people I mentioned being necessary. I think it comes down to a point where we actually agree: that WW1 has bad branding.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 06:36:18 AM »
Can we please calm down gentlemen !
This is the only warning.
Thank you
Björn
, ,

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »
Of course Bjorn.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:45 AM »
Shame PSC don't seem to have continued expanding The Great War - albeit those figures were in 15mm, I was hoping for their plastics for that to be expanded into a full (even if basic) range.

Which I appreciate has no bearing on the discussion regarding 28mm!

Not wishing to derail the thread but I'm sure I saw somewhere that PSC were planning French, Russian and Early War expansions at some point bet the next year or so (no doubt through KS) but at the moment their focus has been the Hold the Line games, Battle of Britain etc

I'm hopeful we do I'd love to see Early War.