Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Ambush - Black Powder 28mm  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
Peninsular Ambush - Black Powder 28mm
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »
This was a Friday night game at NBHW back in September 2016 and featured my Portuguese troops for the first time. The scenario was produced by Ryan, another club member and featured the use of the individual commander personality options in Black Powder, the first time we had utilised these at the club.

The French force consisted of two infantry brigades and a cavalry brigade who were on a foraging expedition into the Spanish countryside.

The Allied force consisted of a combined British/Portuguese brigade, a King's German Legion brigade, a British cavalry brigade and a brigade of Spanish militia lead by a battalion of regulars. The allied force, aware of the French presence in the area decide to set a trap.

As well as these general objectives each of the brigade commanders had their own personal secret missions and personality statistics, some such as "Aggression", "Decisiveness" and "Independence" from the Black Powder rules while others just allowed scenario specific events. These secret missions made for some strange appearing commands being given during the game.

More on my blog

Jabba's Wargaming

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Peninsular Ambush - Black Powder 28mm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »
wonderful! Could you please continue and tell us what happened next? [ ... with some more pics perhaps?]

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
wonderful! Could you please continue and tell us what happened next? [ ... with some more pics perhaps?]

If you are not adverse to facebook there are more pics on the club's page Here

Can't remember all the details now but the French first brigade captured the farm after several blunders by the Anglo Portuguese first brigade. The Spanish militia, in support, fought well despite the requirement to take a break test after each hand-to-hand combat. If I remember they ended up a broken brigade as did the French attacking them so they stood off and watched each other. The allied second brigade and cavalry caught the French second brigade in the flank and were causing some damage, despite the Light Dragoons reluctance to get involved, when the game was called for the night. A French victory, just, but a heavy cost to pay for a few provisions.

Tony.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:18:50 AM by Jabba »

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
great pics  :)
sounds like the narrative/rpg element of the commands added a different slant to the games as well. :D

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

I visited your page on facebook. Fantastic wargame. Wonderfully painted figs. Very nice planning of the game

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »
Yeah!! Portuguese in action. :-* :-* :-*
Well done Tony. :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »

I visited your page on facebook. Fantastic wargame. Wonderfully painted figs. Very nice planning of the game

I may add to the above: Excellent conversion of the Spanish Militia!+1 like!   
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi