Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sudan Rules  (Read 3160 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Sudan Rules
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
I have just ordered as copy of “Sands of Sudan” (Peter Gilders old rules) mostly for reasons of nostalgia as I played a big Sudan game with Peter and others at the Wargames Holiday Centre back in 1983.

If I am unable to resist embarking on a Sudan project, what other rules are available that people would recommend?

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
Re: Sudan Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
Are you planning on doing large battles or smaller actions orr even
 skirmishes?

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
I use Black Powder with the Blood on the Nile supplement. Because my friends and I tend to stick to the same stable of rules, BP, Hail Caesar and Pike & Shotte for all our different eras to save us having to learn and remember new games mechanics (our memories aren't up to much these days) it makes things a lot simpler. I do have a copy of SotS and according to my opponent who tends to read all the rules I buy as I don't have the time myself  lol there are some parts of SotS that would be worth incorporating into BP as house rules. I also have Victorian Steel which my opponent won in a competition, but he preferred to stick with what we know rather than try them out, so I'm afraid I can't comment on them one way or another. Nevermore on here will no doubt convince you to try them! .

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »
Are you planning on doing large battles or smaller actions orr even
 skirmishes?

Smaller actions as I will be fielding both sides. I want to try it as a solo game with Mahdist forces being controlled by the rules as was the game with Peter Gilder.

I use BP for AWI and I am aware of the Blood on the Nile supplement. BP works well for AWI but I was wondering if it works so well where one side is irregular and where games are quite small?

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »
For smaller actions, I'd recommend The Men that would be Kings. It has the added benefit of containing a very entertaining solo module.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
The SoS rules really do look great - a true labour of love and tribute to Mr Gilder. The trouble is (at least for me) is that they are very much in the grand style, with massive battalions and hordes of natives, and it just isn't easy to put together space and time-wise. Doing it in 15mm would be another matter entirely.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
No real recommendations since I'm perfectly happy with SotS. I'm another WHC veteran, which is where I got hooked on Sudan gaming. I still have the photocopies of the original rules Peter kindly gave me, and Carlo has done a fine job in bringing them out to a new market. Yes, they are more for grand manner, but they work fine for my 6mm.  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Timmo

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
I've not yet got Sands of the Sudan but it's on my shopping list as I too would like to have the Mahdists 'auto-activated'.

The other rules I've played or read:

They Don't Like it Up 'Em by TooFatLardies. I've played this a few times and really enjoyed it. By the third game I'd made a few tweaks but the rules were published in a TLF Special rather than being a fully blown set of rules. On thing that impressed me was the need to form square in the face of the enemy. This might sound basic but I see many Sudan games were the Mahdists obligingly charge up to the front face of unit in line, in the the open, rather than even trying to work around the flanks. So using a British (+allied) force into open might well end in disaster with these rules – just as it should be. In the second game as the Mahdists closed it became apparent that the order hadn't been given to fix bayonets – an ignominious defeat of the British square followed as they were cut to pieces to a man.

Battles for Empire II – I have these and have only read them through. I am impressed by them and look forward to playing them sometime.

I'd recommend both the above set. The TFL set you might need to be prepared to adapt and develop the rules a little but they do give a great game. One of the published amends I've seen which I like is only allowing the Mahdist skirmishing riflemen to cause shock not kills.

A few of my own amends…
Mahdists can go to ground and go back onto blinds. Mahdist units on blinds can transfer troops between them to simulate fog of war and not being able to really see the mass of attacking troops. This rule does allow them to rush into opportune openings so works well. I've done away with the brigade cards so the British active by the officers. it makes the pack smaller and the game faster. TFL told me that had done the same.

I use rocky outcrops for my blinds so the Mahdists do literally grow out of the ground. I allow them to deploy within 6" of the blind when spotted.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
My friend. At us in Russia, I play small skirmishes on the rules of Sharp Practice 2, revised for colonial wars. Here is the report:

http://algizus.blogspot.ru/2016/08/victorian-warfare-project_20.html#more

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 11:17:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen.

I will see how I get on with SoS for now but MWWBK might be an option. I may get Blood on the Nile for the read and no doubt it will be full of inspirational eye candy  :)

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 01:35:54 AM »
Victorian Steel, but I would say that wouldn't I! ;)

Offline Larry R

• Bookworm
    • 7 Pillars of Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
I heard that The Sword and the Flame were very good rules for this time period

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
A vote for Death in the Dark Continent to add to the mixing pot!  Works well for large skirmishes/ small battles, 50-120 figures per side.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

I use rocky outcrops for my blinds so the Mahdists do literally grow out of the ground. I allow them to deploy within 6" of the blind when spotted.

Time - grand idea... duly nicked
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:18:34 AM by Deedles »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mensn

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
Patrols in the Sudan by Peter Pig. Has also 15mm miniatures for it.