Forum > Adventures in the Far East

Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)

(1/40) > >>

Juxt:
Deep in the Northern mountains of Honshu, there is a village known as Yokainoyama.  Unremarkable in many ways, it is inhabited by a small number of subsistence farmers struggling to survive week to week, unsustainably large amounts of their crops are taken by the men of the Daimyo, Tsugaru Nobuhira in return for protection from the Tsuchigumo- gangs of bandits who are the scourge of Mutsu Province.
Unable to defend themselves from the bandits, and unwilling to keep paying the daimyo's men, the villagers of Yokainoyama have started turning to the many creatures that call the mountain home for assistance.  Creatures that are already aggrieved by the expansion of Nobuhira's clan encroaching on their woodlands and the countless acts of destruction caused by the bandits.  Tricky creatures, perhaps ones you should not try to bargain with...

Unhappy with the miniatures available for kappa (except for the amazing ones from Tengu miniatures, which have vanished into thin air) I set about making my own kappa- a kappa wielding a shakujo stolen from the village's shrine, and a recently removed shirikodama, possibly wrenched from deep within the priest that the staff was taken from.

please forgive the quality of the images, they have seriously washed out the brightness and colour from this guy, I need to sort out a better photography set up I think.  The kappa started off life as a monopose Games Workshop goblin from the Hobbit game, a bit of green stuff for a beak and shell, then a shakujo made from styrene and florist's wire.  I made a quick mould of the shell before painting the kappa so I can reproduce more quickly and easily.

Hope you guys like my first yokai.

OSHIROmodels:
Splendid work and a great conversion from such a simple base figure  :)

cheers

James

Codsticker:
Models and pictures look great!

Juxt:
thanks guys :-)

Here are a trio of Hitodama for use in the same games.  Hitodama are the visible souls of humans which have detached from their host's bodies, they are completely harmless yokai that illuminate graveyards at night... unless of course you've misidentified them and you're actually dealing with a trio of onibi, who are a type of blue vampiric demon fire that drains the life energy from anyone who strays too close.  I guess you'll just have to guess which ones they are and take a chance.

the models themselves are made from some Plascraft Japanese gravestones and some flaming skulls from a Games Workshop undead kit, no conversions here, but I'm pleased with the glow they give off- almost too bright to look at under the right conditions :-)

OSHIROmodels:
Splendid  :)

cheers

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version