Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28864 times)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Zashiki Warashi)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
Thank you  :)
I'm using a corruption of the Ronin ruleset.  Nearly all my games feature either one or two buntai, then an additional homebrew mythical element, played by a GM.  Every game has been mission based so far, rather than just a beat 'em up style game.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Lovely additions.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 02:58:09 AM »
Thank you  :)
I'm using a corruption of the Ronin ruleset.  Nearly all my games feature either one or two buntai, then an additional homebrew mythical element, played by a GM.  Every game has been mission based so far, rather than just a beat 'em up style game.

Not sure if you'd looked at them, but the Ronin mythical pdf supplements are a pretty good place to start with things.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
Not sure if you'd looked at them, but the Ronin mythical pdf supplements are a pretty good place to start with things.

Thank you, I had seen them a while ago but I couldn't them recently with an online search.  I've got them saved and printed out now, no chance of me losing them again :)

Offline gnorhk

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
We also use Ronin (unfortunately without the luxury of a GM), for a VERY similar setting that is (but hey, thinking about mythical Japan, it always comes down to villages in the mountains ;)

We tried Daisho (which somehow feels too generic), Frostgrave (which I really like, but battling onmyoji is not the taste of my mate), even Mordheim, but finally we settled for Ronin. We try to spice it up with Dragon Rampant now and then for bigger engagements.

I am eager to see pictures of your gaming table .. if it looks even remotely like your minis we are in for a treat ;)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
Have you ever tried Of Gods and Mortals? I've not looked into it yet, but it looks like it might be worth a go, hopefully being Osprey it might be vaguely compatible.

I'll try to get a few snaps of my village next time I have a game  ;)

Offline gnorhk

• Assistant
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
Actually I thought about that as well, for one reason only:

But as it is a collectors item I never had the guts nor funds myself to buy him ;)

And it is not at all related to Ronin, but for inspiration purposes it does work (Daisho has a lot of nice ideas, I just do not like the game engine)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:46:24 PM by gnorhk »

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
Thank you, I had seen them a while ago but I couldn't them recently with an online search.  I've got them saved and printed out now, no chance of me losing them again :)

I had worked out a few extra things of my own as well that I posted HERE that you might find useful as well.

Unfortunately, the Ronin boards are gone, there were some interesting things there that would help as well.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
Actually I thought about that as well, for one reason only:

But as it is a collectors item I never had the guts nor funds myself to buy him ;)

And it is not at all related to Ronin, but for inspiration purposes it does work (Daisho has a lot of nice ideas, I just do not like the game engine)

I've had my eyes on a similar collectible to use as a gashadokuro, but I just couldn't justify the price- £55 for an action figure skeleton that would need SO much modelling work to get perfect, the articulation points would always annoy me if I didn't fill them in with putty and resculpt parts.

I had worked out a few extra things of my own as well that I posted HERE that you might find useful as well.

Unfortunately, the Ronin boards are gone, there were some interesting things there that would help as well.

oooh, you've got some great ideas there- the dogs are especially interesting to me as I've seen working on a couple of Akitas since they come from the next prefecture over from where my games are set :)

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
I managed to get a little game in yesterday and snapped off a few photos for you, so here's your first real peek at the lives of the poor villagers who live in Yokainoyama...
A small group of bandits have been tracking a pair of masterless samurai and their apprentice through the mountains, intending to murder them in their sleep as they spend the night at a small settlement.  Unfortunately for the bandits, a storm is brewing overhead and Raijin the thunder god has sent his pet Raiju to wreak havoc among both sides of the feud, spitting lightning bolts and running them down with his supernatural speed and burning rage.

Kyuzo, the older of the samurai is the first to try his luck against the mighty enemy, causing a few minor wounds to Raiju but nothing deciding enough to finish the creature.  In return, the thunder beast batted the warrior down with a swipe of its paw, killing the fighter instantly.

Rushing through the village, Raiju takes on the second of the samurai, Kambei, and a lone bandit who puts his intentions to one side, deciding to assist in felling the monster.

As the fight nears its conclusion, the young apprentice attempts to aid his senpai, but is held up by a kasedori bandit.  It makes little difference however, Raiju slaughters the bandit before being run through by Kambei's katana and masterful kenjutsu.

All that's left to take care of now is for the leader of the bandits and Kambei to face each other.  Injured earlier by the thunder beast, Kambei is slow to react, and too sluggish to dodge the unstoppable swing of the bandit's nodachi.  In an all too quick combat between the two heroes, the fight was decided with just one well timed strike.   

The bandits, or rather the one remaining bandit, left the village unhurt, carrying with him a few days of provisions and a cocky strut that says "I survived the claws of the Raiju, no mortal man can ever kill me"...

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
Lovely looking table  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
Wow! Absolutely beautiful looking set up.  :-*

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
thanks guys

James- obviously I drew a lot of inspiration from your buildings :)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Fantastic table and minis!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »
thanks guys

James- obviously I drew a lot of inspiration from your buildings :)

No worries, glad to be an inspiration  :)

cheers

James