Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28862 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Daidarabotchi)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Loving every bit of this  :-* :-* :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
Excellent stuff, I always intended trying to incorporate Japanese mythology into some games but never got around to doing the research.
Looks like you might be doing it for me ;D thanks :) ;)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »
Brilliant! Great ideas, conversions and beautiful painting.  :-*

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »
Thanks for keeping me motivated guys :-)

Excellent stuff, I always intended trying to incorporate Japanese mythology into some games but never got around to doing the research.
Looks like you might be doing it for me ;D thanks :) ;)

Mythology, religion and folklore make up such a large part of everyday life in Japan, and always have done- it used to be known as the land of a million gods, so there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't all be trying to squeeze some of it into our wargames.  I hope I've inspired you to make something fantastical  :D

On which note, today's addition to the inhabitants of Yokainoyama is a pair of Tsukumogami.  Once an object or tool reaches one hundred years old, it is believed that it obtains sentience, become self aware and alive.  This can happen to nearly any object and has led to a modern practice of throwing away objects just before they reach their hundredth birthday (or having them blessed).  Although completely harmless in most cases, tsukumogami are mischievous in nature, they love to move objects around your house when you're asleep so you either can't find them or you trip over them unexpectedly.  In game these will act as GM controlled annoyances for moving objectives, locking doors etc.

The first mini is a named tsukumogami called a Bakezori- known for chanting songs and mocking its upperclass relatives, the more sophisticated shoes of nobles.  The model itself is completely stock and made by CP miniatures.

The second is a generic one that I put together from a resin barrel I found in a model shop bargain bin and a pair of Games Workshop snotling legs.  I drilled out a hole in the barrel before putting in a ball of greenstuff for the eye.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Tsukumogami)
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »
Brill  :D

cheers

James

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
Some other fantastic additions! I really like all your creations, and last two Yokai are wonderful. I'm amazed by the pace you manage to create them.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

Although completely harmless in most cases, tsukumogami are mischievous in nature, they love to move objects around your house when you're asleep so you either can't find them or you trip over them unexpectedly.  

I must have these buggers in my house - they are constantly moving my glasses and phone. How do you get rid of them. ???

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
Some other fantastic additions! I really like all your creations, and last two Yokai are wonderful. I'm amazed by the pace you manage to create them.

haha if only I was making them this quickly, I'm just working through my backlog of yokai and photographing them. I make them at a much much slower pace ;)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »
Love the painting in this thread - beautiful!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 12:35:37 PM »
Nice!

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
That's some mental stuff you've got in this thread!.......good but mental! :-* That bog monster is stupendous! :-*

Offline Angrypantz

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Absolutely fantastic. The detail and attention to lore is amazing. Keep up the good work!

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
The fields of battle often lay untended for years, maybe even decades after the bloody feuding has finished; weapons rusts, corpses rot, the ground poisoned by the evil that occurred there.  Spoiled land such as this, like all things in Japan, eventually takes on a life of its own.  Trees become homes to malicious spirits, vengeful ghosts roam the boundaries in search of those who wronged them, and sometimes, very rarely, the bones of dead soldiers rise to their feet to finish the task that led to their death.

Undead warriors don't appear that often in Japanese mythology, and when they do I've never seen them referred to as anything other than their original living names.  So while not being a particularly prevalent yokai, they do fit the bill nicely as a typical monster type entity to trouble my mountain village.  The minis are a mixture of bits and pieces really- the base skeletons are from Games Workshop, helmets are from Max-Mini, weapons are scratch built from styrene and random bits box scraps, and the sode is from a Kensei miniature.

I'd love to eventually have ten or fifteen of these guys, but I'm far more interested in assembling a wider range of yokai to begin with

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
While sleeping in old stables and barns, travelers passing through Yokainoyama have been known to experience playful, child-like spirits, interfering with their belongings or leaving them presents (probably stolen from others in the group).  The patter of little footsteps in the night, giggling noises, footprints left behind in flour on the floor, the clanking of wooden toys and the faint sound of children's songs.  These Zashiki Warashi are generally invisible to everyday folk, but children, priests and others who are generally closer to god will occasionally see them as the spirit of a five or six year old child.  These yokai love looking through other people's bags and belongings, playing with the items that they find until boredom sets in and they leave the items scattered randomly, sometimes putting them back in the wrong person's bag or just hiding them.  Zashiki Warashi are completely harmless, but the misunderstandings that they unintentionally cause can lead to intense animosity between traveling companions, sometimes resulting in bloodshed.

This was a perfect excuse to paint up the Perry brother's child miniature that comes in the samurai villagers pack.  The mini itself is pretty crude, poorly defined and with a pitted, almost granular surface in places, but it is so full of character that I don't mind.  No converting or modelling was done on this little guy, just a couple of laid back hours of really basic painting and he was done.

Offline gnorhk

• Assistant
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Zashiki Warashi)
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
This is really excellent work you are doing!

Just out of curiosity, which ruleset are you planning to use for your minis?