Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yokainoyama (now with Jubokko)  (Read 28859 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
That has really made me chuckle.
Beautifully painted.
That REALLY is the 'NUTS'
 :-* :-*

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Brilliant stuff! That Tanuki looks as mischievous as he is adorable...  :)

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Bizarrely brilliant!

You've probably already seen this image:

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Thanks guys  :)

Elk101- that's one of my favourite woodblocks, along with the 'fart scrolls' and the ones of people luring kappas by hanging their naked rears over rivers 😂

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
 lol I think  there is an ACDC song that applies to this fella.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
It's always a delight to discover your latest Japanese mythological creature!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Your miniatures are "fantastic" (in both senses of the word !)

Offline orc

• Scientist
Very nice!! :o :-*

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
Superb!

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Yokainoyama (now with Kirin)
« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:18 AM »
thanks for your ongoing support guys  :)

Although incredibly poor, barely able to grow enough food to feed themselves, and constantly tormented by the Imperial soldiers garrisoned nearby, the villagers of Yokainoyama and especially the town elder have remained honest, fair and kind.  Never have they been tempted by an unattended sack of grain nor made jealous by the possessions of the resident samurai and his family.  It is this pureness of spirit that has attracted a new creature to the woods surrounding the village- a Kirin.  A divine creature, calm and benevolent, so gentle that it won't even tread on a blade of grass or an insect, instead its footprints sprouting new life and filling the pathways with vines and flowers.  This most regal of creatures rewards virtuous humans with its heavenly protection, a peaceful mind will never fear assault whilst a kirin is present- the swift retribution brought down by this yokai on the violent is both fiery and final.  He is not a beast to be crossed.

A great tactician however, one who is sly and exceptionally skilled in the feudal arts may be able to best a kirin in combat.  Its skin is so imbued with magical powers that it can be crafted into the finest armour, able to deflect even the strongest of blows, meaning that a very high bounty is set on the body of a genuine kirin, Lord Nobuhira desperately wants to be the first warrior to possess such a suit...

Another plastic Malifaux miniature, this time a converted Yasunori.  His wings and rider were removed, with the gaps being filled and sanded smooth, then antlers were built up with putty over a wire armature.  A bunch of leaves from various Busch model railway accessories were added to the base to suggest the fresh life sprouting from his hoof prints.  A really simple build, and a lovely model to paint up too.  He should be hitting the battlefield this week, leading some other woodland spirits against an oni force

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
Another great addition, with a stunning paintjob!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
A lovely conversion and a beautiful paintjob.
Those colours are so subtle. taking it to a wonderful finish.
 :-* :-*

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
thanks guys  :D  I'm really pleased with the colours on this one, and especially the dappling on his back.  I made myself a little stencil by poking a pin through a sheet of paper multiple times, held it a few mm above the model, then airbrushed a really thinned down off-white colour through it.  I want to paint a dappled horse now with spots all over it  :)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
The latest additions are all amazing  :-*
I have to take a better look at the malifaux range, I've never considered them, but it looks like they have some decent minis

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
The latest additions are all amazing  :-*
I have to take a better look at the malifaux range, I've never considered them, but it looks like they have some decent minis

thank you  :)

I hadn't really considered the malifaux range either until recently.  The human/oid models don't really do anything for me, but a lot of the creatures have great potential.  The models themselves being computer sculpted do have a few things that bug me:  some exceptionally thin joints/parts that won't hold up to much handling, some very strange splits between components, lots of very plain surfaces and lots of very finely detailed surfaces where even the thinnest paints obscure the sculpt.  They're pretty expensive too, and I often only like/want one model from a box of three.  But they are lovely models with some great concepts and they fill a lot of gaps in other ranges too (they've got so many tempting pig models for instance and some lovely oriental dragons)