Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:55:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690653
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Ambassador's residence  (Read 24411 times)

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Re: The Ambassador's residence
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
Breached the wall last night, but we fought them off.
What will happen in the morning ?

Flatpack

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »
Outstanding!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »
A thrilling scene!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
So we got together the 5 of us yesterday in “Bobs Bunker” to play an Indian Mutiny” game, using once again, TMWWBK.
JC couldn’t make it, as he was on manoeuvres at Brighton.

Scenario put together by has.been.

Picture the scene.....

During the night, the mutineers have managed to wheel up to the siege lines, two massive cannons ( using lots of manpower and heavily greased wheels, aided by hundreds of pillows laid in front of the huge wheels )

At first light, they open up. Easily blowing open the old town wall doors, and breaching the wall.

The British garrison were mainly asleep, but a quarter of them were on duty. (We rolled for the troops that were awake, and uncannily they were the Gentleman cavalry unit, patrolling the inside of the city walls, an artillery piece uncannily adjacent to the breach in the walls, and a British sharpshooter unit, all fired up and ready to go).....you can see where this is going already can’t you !.

The other British units that were garrisoned in the town, then rolled dice to see if they were available.

So, here we go. All we need to do, is get the mutineers into the town, through 3 gaps in the wall, and only 3 British units awake.
What could possibly go wrong ?

All quiet in the town, until the gates are blown open.

Then the city wall gets a direct hit from the mutineers artillery and its breached. Easy 3 ways into the town.

The mutineers mass outside the city walls.

They approach the walls.

The gentleman’s cavalry unit respond by Charing the mutineers as they enter the city.

Cavalry straight in, no messing.

That’s one mutineer unit driven off. “Watch your head son, on that gateway”

On the left of the city walls, Garry’s British sharpshooters advance and take to the ramparts, killing all before them.

Fire at will.

The garrison starts to stir.

Mutineers flood over the wall on the right, heading for the ambassadors residence.

The ambassador’s wife and daughter are on the balcony, valiantly fighting off the mutineers as they advance through the gates of the residence. (Nice that the mutineers shut the gates behind them. Shows they have manners 😀)

“Oh dear, dear”

And then the Indian charge all fizzles out. Running out of troops and with the garrison awake, the mutineers drift away from the city.

All good fun, over breakfast bacon and sausage bus, and a beer or two.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »
Oh wow looks like I missed a fantastic game!  :(
I really like the idea of dicing for which proportion of the garrison were awake. The Gentleman Cavalry unit really covered themselves in glory this time! Bet they will all be drunk in the club for weeks now talking about it. And well played the sharpshooters!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
A very pleasant AAR! You had an enjoyable day! Cheers!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »
1/4 (rounded down) of the garrison on duty & the rest had to dice for availability, a D6, results ranging from 'This officer is likely to be cashiered after this. Will not activate until he gets a 6 at the start of a move' through to 'Officer is a seasoned veteran. Troops ready at a moments notice'. In-between were other options, mainly that in the rush they would leave something behind (extra ammo, water bottles etc.) By far the most popular (?), certainly the most common result of dicing on this table, was 'Officer with his mistress, Sgt. will get unit ready, but will wait for the officer'.

Flatpack omitted to mention what happened to the Governor, his wife & daughter, when the
Mutineers managed to break in. As was said on the day, " There will be a frightful row about this back home, when it is announced in the papers"

I good time was had by all, not least due to the gracious hosting by Flatpack & Mrs Flatpack.
Bacon as well as sausage butties, with hash browns washed down with lots of drinks , both hot & cold. The table set up looks even better in the 'flesh. Well done sir.

Offline Cybergaz

• Student
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
Really fun game with the right players, the mutineers were really unlucky on the day, thanks Bob for the excellent hospitality as usual

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
An awesome scenery! Fascinated  :o

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2018, 05:23:59 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
I'd contemplated using the minaret at a tenner or so it seem quite reasonable(got sidetracked with a church ) I wondering is there enough room for a 25mm circular base inside the top of the minaret?

Mark.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »
You will struggle to do that, as you would have to leave the triangular roof sections detachable, and I really don’t think that will work.
One of the lads that played at the weekend, said he had the same model, and that he had struggled to glue those final roof panels on, let alone leave them detachable.
I think it’s a no no unfortunately.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
Hi Tin Shed. One possibility you might consider is to not use the roof provided, but to make/substitute    one.  Ian Wheatly (?) used to sell various domes. Various spice jar lids  or drawer knobs could also make believable tops for your minaret.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Several of our group, Flatpack included, like the ability to open up buildings to place figures within. I prefer not to. I like the building 'sealed', if I need to have the building occupied, I would rather just say, 'There is a sniper in the tower' .

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
Love the battle report.
Excellent terrain,
a super setup.  :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »
Same buildings, different period.
Israeli invasion of Lebanon 1982.
These figures havent seen the light of day, for years.