Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pikemans lament preparation  (Read 12442 times)

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Pikemans lament preparation
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
Gents,
In our group of gamers we have one chap that really, really wants to do ECW.
He has the books and the unpainted figures.
I thought we could all join in and start small, so when I heard that Pikemans Lament was coming out, I ordered us a few copies.
Unfortunately our friend doesn't like the rules after reading thro them, as he thinks ECW should be bigger than a skirmish game.
Oh well you can't win them all.
I was inspired by the rules to paint up some of my friends pike to see if it inspired him to go with it.
Watch this space. Maybe one day we will get a game of Pikemans lament ?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:43:46 PM by flatpack »
Flatpack

Offline Bloodysword

• Scientist
Re: Pikemans lament preparation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:46 AM »
They look great.  I played my first game the other night.  The rules are fast and fun.  The officer rules add to the game. 

Offline zerostate

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »
From the several years of ECWN&Q I have stockpiled I would suggest that the majority of the action in the ECW was large skirmish. Admittedly several companies/troops per side, but there was a whole lot that was also just one or two companies clashing.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 06:23:30 AM »
Insert Quote
From the several years of ECWN&Q I have stockpiled I would suggest that the majority of the action in the ECW was large skirmish. Admittedly several companies/troops per side, but there was a whole lot that was also just one or two companies clashing.

Zerostate, thanks for that info, I'll use it on him and see how far I get.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
Also I like the comment about the rules being fun and fast. When you get together as a group of mates playing a game for a couple of hours, that's all you can ask for.

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Gents,
In our group of gamers we have one chap that really, really wants to do ECW.
He has the books and the unpainted figures.
I thought we could all join in and start small, so when I heard that Pikemans Lament was coming out, I ordered us a few copies.
Unfortunately our friend doesn't like the rules after reading thro them, as he thinks ECW should be bigger than a skirmish game.
The dude sounds difficult  :-I...

Too bad- the mechanics of the Rampant/Lament group of games are quite fun and with a bit of modding they could probably scale up to represent larger forces by combining activation rolls, using bases instead of individual figures, etc. If you can get someone else to play some games with you he can observe the rules in action and perhaps he will come around.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:34:05 PM »
Flatpack, when my BIG TIDY finishes I should find my stash of ECW&Q. Previous comment is correct, they do contain information on the smaller end of the fighting. I also should finish my first units for Pikeman's Lament. Then we can add Garry's clubmen, not to mention Vodkafan's troops and (maybe) drag JC into the fun. Worth a try at least.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 02:07:29 AM »
Flatpack, when my BIG TIDY finishes I should find my stash of ECW&Q. Previous comment is correct, they do contain information on the smaller end of the fighting. I also should finish my first units for Pikeman's Lament. Then we can add Garry's clubmen, not to mention Vodkafan's troops and (maybe) drag JC into the fun. Worth a try at least.

My troops are in the pipeline, pikemen are undercoated and musketeers on the way from Renegade ( don't know when they will get here)  Command, Artillery piece and crew courtesy of the extensive has.been spare boxes. Yours are looking great!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:09:00 AM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline MikeLance

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 04:37:31 AM »
I use bases containing multiple 15mm minis....12 bases (with 6 pikemen/musketeer's) on each base makes Pikeman's Lament look like much more than just than a skirmish game. One pike unit with two flanking shot is an impressive looking 216 figures (compared with the usual 36 single 28mm figures). But a base of many 15mm figures is still a single base so it all still plays quickly and simply.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
Great work, can you explain the chickens?

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
Not really, just added for effect and gave me a reason to paint them, instead of them just sitting in a bag for years, gathering dust.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
The dude sounds difficult  :-I...

Too bad- the mechanics of the Rampant/Lament group of games are quite fun and with a bit of modding they could probably scale up to represent larger forces by combining activation rolls, using bases instead of individual figures, etc. If you can get someone else to play some games with you he can observe the rules in action and perhaps he will come around.

I second that! We modded PL to play a pirate game and we had much fun! After mastering a bit the mechanics, you can play a game with two vs two players with about 100 figures from each side and the rules have such a flexibility that allow you play any kind of scenario! ECW is offered for battles of any scale, many skirmishes and minor altercations are recorded involving a small number of troops. The same system is also offered to play easily a mini campaign. Just give it a try!   
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the rules.
I agree, playing it out is always the best way.
Just need to get more figures together now....

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the rules.
I agree, playing it out is always the best way.
Just need to get more figures together now....

...and the chicken can be used as markers for wavering units  lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:29:56 AM by DintheDin »

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »
Very good.....units turned chicken.