Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pikemans lament preparation  (Read 12443 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pikemans lament preparation
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
So all set for Saturdays battle for Cunningham in the Marsh.
Table sorted, buildings built, figures finished (except the last six personalities that I need to varnish this afternoon). Beer bought, rules dusted off, bacon and sausages bought, all we need now are the players.....
James, and Pete.....how’s your prep going ?
No sleepless nights I hope.

Finishing units off today....I might have to drop a unit  6 Commanded Shot
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2018, 08:11:04 AM »
I have only managed 12 more musketeers, but that does bring Tower Hamlets regiment, of the London Trained Bands,
up to full strength (36 figures). Oh, and I will bring along that impressive (NOT) artillery from last time.
I shall however make up for the deficit of troops, by eating more than my fair share of bacon butties. Remember 'An army
marches on its stomach' So I have a lot of marching capability.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2018, 06:30:01 PM »
So here we go, the battle of Cunningham in the marsh.
Rules, as ever, Pikemans Lament.
Played last Saturday morning, to honour our oldest player, John Cunningham on his birthday.
As you will see, cards, cakes, plaques, bacon and sausage butties, and plenty of beer, all came to a head.

Let’s set the scene....

The village of Cunningham in the marsh, is held by a bunch of club men armed with a cannon, and plenty of supplies.

The royalists were lined up on the right.

The parliamentarians were lined up on the left (ie closer to the village)

The opening moves see foolish Royalist cavalry ride forward, straight onto the pikes of the Parliamentarians....you don’t want to do that !

Then the battle really gets going with the Royalist forces advancing, with the Parliamentarian forces holding their ground. Royalist forces even deployed the yellow peril gun...

And they also got to fire some proper kit too..

This is as close to the village that the Royalist forces got. One dry stone wall away from victory before we were driven off..

This left the tattered Royalist forces looking a little shabby in the middle of the battlefield...with at least an officer on horseback, who can later tell of his daring do.

Victorious Parliamentarian cavalry then rode into Cunningham in the March, to fill their bellies.

All in all a great game, and good fun had by all.

Here’s a picture of the gang before the game.

And look what happens when the beer and butties turn up....game stops.

Finally a picture of the man himself. John Cunningham, at 80 years young (and his new plaque on the wall)

I hope you enjoy this write up as much as we enjoyed the game..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:35:35 PM by flatpack »
Flatpack

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2018, 06:44:54 PM »
The blue "heritage" plaque is hilarious and the game looks huge and great fun.

In Pikeman's Lament points, how big was each side?

Also, where are the halftimber buildings from? I kind of recognize them but there's so much lasercut kit out there these days...

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
The blue "heritage" plaque is hilarious and the game looks huge and great fun.

In Pikeman's Lament points, how big was each side?

Also, where are the halftimber buildings from? I kind of recognize them but there's so much lasercut kit out there these days...

Yes the plaque got a round of applause when it was revealed.

Didn't go on the points system, as John was just asking for a BIG game of ECW as he didn't want a skirmish.

The buildings are brill and come from Blotz. They did take a few hours to make, but I think they came out really good in the end. Did follow their instructions and painted the white inserts while they were still flatpack.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2018, 10:26:53 PM »
Flatpack is right we didn't organise it on a points system, we didn't know exactly what people would manage to get done in time.
Bragging rights go to Vodkafan who stayed up to the early hours the morning of the battle to finish some troops.
In the best traditions of the ECW several cavalry units completely failed to make it to the battlefield (lack of Sat-Nav).
we sorted it out so it looked about right.
The points (I have now worked out) were:-
ROYALISTS  2x Gallopers; 3x Pikes; 3x Muskets; 1x Commanded Shot; 1x Reg. Gun & 1x Field Gun. (Total points 44)
PARLIAMENTARY  2x Pikes; 2x Muskets; Tower Hamlets Reg (Vets) 1x Pikes & 2x Muskets  (Total points 34)
                          A double 6 on an activation, followed by another 6 (page 31) meant we were entitled to 4pts of reinforcements.
                          Flatpack (wonderful host that he is) offered a 'dead' unit of cavalry for us to use. We decided to classify them
                          'Trotters' and it is those who entered the village at the end of the game.
VILLAGERS  1x villagers & 1x regimental gun (Total points 5)

We played a slight variation of mission 'I' (Foraging at the village). The Gun, being old & unreliable, would blow up if the activation
dice was a double one. The scenario says that the will not retreat, they must be routed or wiped out. It turned out to be the later,
but they managed to all but destroy our only veteran unit, Tower Hamlets, i.e. half our army points !!!!!

A close run thing, many laughs & much fun.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2018, 11:40:16 PM »
Lovely stuff and a fun game.  I've spent the last week or so pouring over the PL rulebook again to come up with WSS ratings and my plan for units.  This thread has helped keep the motivation going!

Chris

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
Wow...80 years and still gaming skirmish games...great stuff...:)
I wish I will be that cool when I am getting there. erm I mean if....;)

Cheers,
Don