Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 152676 times)

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
Re: Charlie's 15th century - cavalry conversions (29th July)
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2018, 09:52:58 PM »
Charliewho makes the resin buildings, I really like the farm/manor house. I'm sure I've seen it on here somewhere painted but I can't remember where.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Charliewho makes the resin buildings, I really like the farm/manor house. I'm sure I've seen it on here somewhere painted but I can't remember where.

Hudson & Allen, see my thread on them in the workbench section - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111122.0

The ones you might have seen painted here in the last few weeks is by painterman, his thread here - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=110607.0

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »
Many thanks Charlie, they really do look the business when painted

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - artillery refurb, and an organ gun (16th August)
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
A while back I posted my artillery, three guns.

I have just added another gun, and rebased them all. Previously I had the guns and crew all on individual bases, but I decided to go the route of putting them together on 65x90mm bases. It gives me the chance to include little bits of artillery equipment, and does look better in general.
The reason I had them individually bases before was for my rules, where the crew could be picked off, crew loss effecting the guns performance, etc. But after a test game I decided it was unnecessarily complicated, so now the gun and crew is treated as one model, and when it comes into contact with the enemy we just assume the crew are driven off / killed rather than having to resolve a combat. I made the rules for firing the guns simpler too.... Nothing like a good test game to make you think "oh well that was was silly / needs simplifiyng."

So here we have four guns in total, should be more than enough! I doubt I'll be using all four in many games.

Two of the guns are from the Perry sets. The other two are from Foundry,  also sculpted by the Perry bros way back in the 80s! They all scale well together - the old sculpts are bulkier and less detailed, easier to assemble and paint. The new sculpts are much more detailed and fiddly. The red one is bigger than the other three.

There are 16 crew in total.
- 8 from the original artillery sets.
- 1 clone  from above with a headswap.
- 2 from the bombard set.
- 3 from the labourers and wagons sets, with head swaps.
- 1 from Crusader miniatures, with a Perry head swap.
- 1 plastic conversion.

The pieces of equipment are from Front Rank and Tricorne.

I'm really pleased with the posing of the crew on each base, I feel they all tell a little story. I made sure to mix them up so none of the crew combos are 'straight from the box' as it were...

This chap's getting a stern ticking off from the master gunner.

"Hurry up and load that gun!!!!"

Some nice faces....

And I've also got an organ gun! It's from Old Glory. I made a couple of alterations, as I feel it looked a bit too 'fantasy' in its original incarnation... I snipped off the dragon / gargoyle decorations at the front, and replaced the solid wheels with spoked ones. I put it on a smaller base with just two crew, and didn't use any equipment - I imagine it's a more mobile gun which the two of them can wheel about by hand. One crew is from the Perry bombard set, the other is a plastic conversion.

I'd like to get another organ gun someday, but find not many companies make them. The one from Redoubt looks good, but annoyingly there is nothing else from them I want so would have to order it by itself, meaning postage would be likely as much as the gun....

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »
The guns look great. Well done :-*

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2018, 06:39:47 AM »
Impressively done.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2018, 07:13:26 AM »
Lovely stuff  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:52 AM »
Very nice cannons Charlie.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
Good decision to rebase and you’ve done a great job of enhancing the bases. Is the guy in close up holding the chamber from Crusader?
Cheers Simon

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2018, 10:00:58 AM »
Is the guy in close up holding the chamber from Crusader?

No, he's the Perry duplicate with a headswap - he's from the gun loading crew originally, his head is I think from one of the mounted pages?

The crusader one is on the red gun base, with the ram rod thing, red jacket and tiny hands. Crusader have three packs of 'pikemen' in standing poses with open hands, some better than others, most of which take head swaps easy - they are great for standard bearers, and gun crews as here.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »
Love 'em.
I must add an organ gun. I've got 8 spare and unpainted artillerymen... Will check out the Redoubt one...

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
I must add an organ gun. I've got 8 spare and unpainted artillerymen... Will check out the Redoubt one...

The Old Glory one is great, after you've done the easy alterations I did. Here's what it looks like before the alterations...

It has 6 barrels, which seems the right number to me.

The wheels I used on it are form the Front Rank gun, which I decided was far too big - it's HUGE! And not as in a big gun, I mean it's way off scale for Perry sculpts. But  the wheels are actually just the right scale.

Strangely all the other Old Glory artillery pieces look really undersized to me.... I had a look at them at Partizan earlier this year, and decided I couldn't justify them (you can only get them in packs of 2 or 3, annoyingly - if it was just 1 for a fiver I would probably have got one!)

The Redoubt organ gun looks good from the pic on the website, but that's the only pic I can find... Apparently it has 4 barrels.
https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/rx-10/

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »
Really like the artillery refurb and the addition of the organ gun. May have to pick one up next time I’m at a show.

Does anyone know if organ guns were used in the Wars of the Roses? I haven’t come across anything.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
I have a pair of the Redoubt organ guns, assembled but unpainted. They are nice models, though I think they required a bit of assembly work.

I have also somewhere a pair of the three-barrelled organ guns from Old Glory (the ones without a shield in front), but think they are more of 16th century in style - and the provided wheels are rather small.

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »
The artillery is excellent.