Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689347
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 154181 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - 184 infantry, and 3 cannons (1st March)
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
Those are great really nice.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
That is an awesome spread Charlie. You have come a long way with that collection  :o :-*

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
Charlie - thats fantastic progress (I'm defiantly in the painting slow lane) - all looking great and I like the tones you've got - nice and realistically gritty but with enough brighter colours which the medieval folk wore.
Simon.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
Glad you all like them!

nice and realistically gritty but with enough brighter colours which the medieval folk wore.

Yes I've recently brightened up my palette a bit. I've become very aware that the shiny new pikeman unit is MUCH more colourful than the drab, dirty polearm units!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »
Glad you all like them!

Yes I've recently brightened up my palette a bit. I've become very aware that the shiny new pikeman unit is MUCH more colourful than the drab, dirty polearm units!

I rather liked your subdued palette for your earlier units but I have to say that latest offerings have just that right touch of subdued clothing and bright metals that seem to be the perfect match.  Keep them coming.  :-* :-*

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Only just catching up with this as I edge through my own Perry plastics mountain. Love the whole collection you’ve produced - similar in style to the realistic and gritty palette I try to go for.
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »
Gone through every page in a bit of a blur - these are amazing. Had I the chance to redo my semi-historical/fantasy force again, I'd be tempted to jump them three hundred years forward and use the Perry miniatures as a base, rather than as bits for conversions.

Any chance of a whole army shot?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - just a few in-game shots (1st July)
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »
I played a game today, and was going to post up a full battle report, but decided it didn't really make for a very good one... But I got some good close-up shots which I think worked well, so thought I'd share!

This is actually my first game in almost a year - it was last summer I had my last game! Since then the collection has grown quite a bit, which generally makes for better, more satisfactory games and more variety between games. As usual, there were various aspects of how the game flowed that gave me things to ponder on this evening, and how the rules could be tweaked and streamlined more.

I've been working on expanding the cavalry lately, and later this summer should hopefully have a post to show you how it now stands (the target is 62 cavalry - just 12 more to paint!)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2018, 01:25:27 AM »
Fantastic photos Charlie- your work is always a pleasure to see. :)
I've been working on expanding the cavalry lately, and later this summer should hopefully have a post to show you how it now stands (the target is 62 cavalry - just 12 more to paint!)
That will be impressive. :D

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
Great looking pictures - hope to see more of the game!
Simon.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »
Inspiring stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
lovely pictures Charlie, I always love to see your entire force on the table. Great stuff!!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
They look great. Well done Charlie.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
Great looking pictures - hope to see more of the game!
Simon.

Ok, here's a brief run-down.

Shaun was defending, with fences and wagons to provide cover. I was attacking from the right of the board.

As I advanced towards him, he sent his cavalry out to meet mine.

He managed to beat back my best cavalry unit, which included my commander (who luckily escaped harm), but my second unit rode in to save the day and together both units sent his cavalry packing. Meanwhile my side was suffering quite a bit from crossbow fire.

As my cavalry chased his off the board, his pikemen were suddenly in danger of being caught in the open and outflanked.

But he managed to sort his battle-line out and my weakened cavalry didn't really have much success against his infantry. Meanwhile my infantry had reached his defences, leading to several turns of melee which swung back and forth over the barricades.

Though it went in his favour, and all my forces were driven back.

I reformed my troops for one final assault across the line, but it was futile and I conceded defeat!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - cavalry conversions (29th July)
« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »
Ok, time to show you some of the cavalry models I've been painting lately, most of which are conversions.

The Perry cavalry plastics are great and offer all sorts of different options, but when you are painting 50+ of them you do start to wish there were even MORE options, or a third plastic cavalry set! Things like different poses for the styles of armour already available, and more 'half-harness' - things like brigandines with armoured legs and arms, or armoured bodies with riding boots, etc...
So you start converting, and here are the three things I've been doing most of....

1 - Using the few metal cavalry figures in the range. The metal horses they come with a notably smaller than the plastic ones - I put them on the plastics, which requires a little bit of green stuff to rework the saddle arrangements. There aren't a great deal of metal cavalry models (commanders and scurrers), but they easily take headswaps which always completely transforms them.

2 - Leg swaps, or giving the fully armoured men riding boots out of green stuff.

3 - Head conversions. I know there are loads of different heads provided with the plastic sets, but I want more!!! Or some metal head packs to go with them. Anyway, one great conversion I discovered is slicing apart the heads with sallets and kettle hats, including the ones with bevors. You can then put bevors on different sorts of helments, and 'un-bevor' other ones. Here is a pic of the new heads I made this way, I think it was sometime last year...

Also, my painting techniques have been improved since I first started this thread, most notably with how I do horse-flesh and armour, so mounted men-at-arms the best way to show what I mean. For armour, I used to paint silver (GW runefang staeel), ink black, then drybrush silver again. But it could often come out a bit 'grainy' looking... Now I paint silver, and just give TWO washes of Army Painter dark tone wash (the brush-on wash, which is NOT the same thing as the dip despite the same name). I occasionally give a quick drybrush on the top of the helmets, shoulders and weapons, but usually don't bother. This gives a MUCH smoother finish, and also results in darker armour which I personally prefer. I might go back and re-do some of the earlier cavalry this way.

Anyway, let's see what I've got.

Actually, first here are a few which are NOT converted, more or less straight from the box....

This is my favourite style of armour and helmet combination - gothic harness with a deep, closed-face sallet and bevor. I just recently realised I hadn't assembled any of the plastics like this yet. This body and head combo looks the best of the Perry plastics I feel, has a really nice slender appearance...

This guy I think looks rather menacing.

A standard bearer (my flags will be explained in a future post).

Now here's a couple of the metal ones with headswaps. The standard bearer's head is from a Foundry crossbowman.

Here are some with the converted plastic heads...

(my favourite)

And here's one with riding boots made from green stuff. I'm not very good at sculpting, and don't enjoy having to get the green stuff out. I think I pulled it off ok in this case, but am not particularly enthusiastic about having to do it again.

And finally, here are two which have swapped legs from the knee down, one from the heavy cav box and one from the light cav box... resulting in two 'medium' cavalrymen. They also both have converted heads, and adjusted horse tack. The lighter one also has had the brigandine studs on his arms filed off to make it into coat sleeves.

I haven't got any full units shots of the cavalry for this post. Last time I did that, I had 32 in total. Now I have 50..... let me paint up another 8, and I will then be able to show you them all together - three heavy units and one smaller light unit. Hopefully by the end of summer....