Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Finding Mary Scroggins - AAR  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Finding Mary Scroggins - AAR
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »
Cheers Lon - where I come from "Sumat fer nowt is reet good" which translates as "free is good"

I didn't realise you could speak Russian, could you translate for the rest of us ;) ;)

Pan scourers and 1970s figuresI- Mad Lord/Doug you are not going to start discussing your old scrotums again as on my last game report on this board, it got very embarrassing.  lol lol lol

I'm sure you were properly tickled by our Scrotums (Old and Young) and note the capital letter, denoting a proper noun, in case anyone has mistakenly confused the surname of this ancient and respected family of butlers with something sordid and unseemly.Let no-one doubt the distinction and dignity with which these wrinkled old retainers give their essential support wherever and whenever required.

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
Doug - I stand before you humble and corrected, how could I have thought for one moment that you were being sordid and unseemly. It was unconscionable of me.
I beg your pardon before the Mad Lord joins in.  :D

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
I'm sure you were properly tickled by our Scrotums
  lol   lol   lol   lol   lol

Let no-one doubt the distinction and dignity with which these wrinkled old retainers give their essential support wherever and whenever required.

Hear! Hear!

I didn't realise you could speak Russian, could you translate for the rest of us

Happy to translate from the West Country vernacular, old bean.

they get all betwaddled and end up in a bleddy gert cawtch

they get all confused and end up in a bloody great mess

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »

Next AAR with local dialect subtitles, PLEASE!  lol lol lol lol lol
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »

Happy to translate from the West Country vernacular, old bean.

they get all betwaddled and end up in a bleddy gert cawtch

they get all confused and end up in a bloody great mess

Yeah I guess that sums it up

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
Getting back to the point. The games you've recently described have been, I would say, what Don Featherstone called "narrative games" meaning a series of games linked but without the out-of-game map moves, logistics etc of a full campaign. I think this brand of gaming works especially well with skirmish games and yours have been a fine example of this. So I'm hoping there will be more for us to enjoy, if not here, perhaps in the Old West - I've been following your other thread there as well.

To Lord Snapcase - I'm currently on the Somerset coast for a few days and cider-induced gobbledygook is quite prevalent here as well😳

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 06:10:06 AM »
Doug - I agree with you about how skirmish games lead naturally to a narrative.

I tried to do this once by creating effectively​ a film script and the scenes were the games. I posted the first 4 of these a couple of years ago on the pulp forum, about Becky and I did get to the 7th scene before I ran out of steam, something I have found with most campaigns. She and her friends were lucky, only loosing 1 game and so I rewrote the next scene which she won and so got back on track.
I think that having a preset schedule looses the spontaneity a bit.

The Pops and Granny characters that appear again in a couple of games on the pulp board had another series of 3 linked games because the 1st game went horribly wrong for them but it led naturally to 2 other games the 3rd of which I made a but easy on them because I had grown so fond of them in the mean time. Daft I know. I may post these sometime when I am back home.

The western game was just a 1 off but when Texas Red appears in another game it will be as Texas Red so her story will continue even if not as a predetermined game.

If you like this narrative game some of the best in my opinion are Legonaires on this forum. He did a series of games using the campaign system in 6 gun sound about Amos and his pardner. Eventually retiring them after 6 or 7 games. I have the links somewhere if you are interested.

Sorry for the long post it looks like you hit a button there.
Cheers
John

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »
I think this brand of gaming works especially well with skirmish games and yours have been a fine example of this.

I think you've hit the nail on it's proverbial head there, Doug. Every time I see a new AAR from Vagabond, I know it's going to be a good read. I especially liked the one featuring Argonor as the viking chief.

Vagabond, thanks for the detailed explanation of your motivation. Your back story to each game makes the game in my opinion and your board set-ups always look the part.

I'm currently on the Somerset coast for a few days and cider-induced gobbledygook is quite prevalent here as well

Doug, next time you are anywhere near Devon, let me know. Perhaps we could meet up somewhere for a glass of cider, alroight beaut?

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »
Doug, next time you are anywhere near Devon, let me know. Perhaps we could meet up somewhere for a glass of cider, alroight beaut?

M'lud, we've been circling round the possibility of a bibulous encounter for some time, now. It has to happen....! And maybe we can drag Vagabond down from Derbyshire to join in?

Doug (now safely back in lovely Wiltshire after foray to Somerset coast - (added bonus was the unexpected Weston=super-Mare airshow)).

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
M'Lud thank you for your kind comments.

Doug - well that is an irresistible offer. I am in Greece at present not expecting to be home for a couple of months, but I have a brother in law in Wiltshire who will put me up, or maybe put up with me for a couple of days :) so I could make the long trip south some time in autumn.
Will PM you both and see if we can make a date when I get back, if you're up for it.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 08:39:16 PM »
M'Lud thank you for your kind comments.

Doug - well that is an irresistible offer. I am in Greece at present not expecting to be home for a couple of months, but I have a brother in law in Wiltshire who will put me up, or maybe put up with me for a couple of days :) so I could make the long trip south some time in autumn.
Will PM you both and see if we can make a date when I get back, if you're up for it.

In Greece for a couple of months - ain't life hell :D :D :D

Well, a general get together may be on the cards, by the sound of it. Whereabouts in Wiltshire is your brother-in-law?

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »
In Greece for a couple of months - ain't life hell.

I was going to reply to this but it may have sounded like a long littany on moans. We have a small 44 year old sailing boat and are preparing to sail from Greece to France and unless you have spent a day upside down in a toilet compartment I don't think you would understand the full joy of "ain't life hell"  :( ::) :-[ :-X :? :'( o_o lol.

The brother in law lives in Mere and if I succeed in getting to France a good bit of wargaming will be more than welcome. I would love to meet up with you and the mad lord.

Hope we can make this work.
Cheers
John

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
This gets better and better. Bringing a sailing boat (should I read "yacht"?) from Greece to France - wow - sounds brilliant. And let's face it, most MPs would spend good money to have a session upside down in a toilet compartment, although probably somewhere discreet in the West End rather than on the foaming brine.

Anyway, good luck with all that; Fair Winds and Following seas to you, sir...!

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »
M'lud, we've been circling round the possibility of a bibulous encounter for some time, now. It has to happen....! And maybe we can drag Vagabond down from Derbyshire to join in?

Yes, it must happen!   :o   :o   :o

I would love to host a mini-DevLAM convention later this year. I have an 8' by 4' table in the kitchen and two spare bedrooms to accommodate you, both yourself, Doug and Vagabond for a weekend. I am about 80 miles almost due west of Mere and about 150 yards due east of my local pub!

I have also just bottled up some home-made Sloe Gin, Blackberry Gin and Raspberry Vodka so watch out! My e-mail is on my profile left, why don't you both e-mail me and I'll e-mail you both back with some possibilities?

Here is said kitchen with X-Wing in progress when our three nephews visited a couple of years ago:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:57:44 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
I'm in...! I'm just wondering if I could combine it with a Devon trip in the rather ancient motorhome/camper we've just acquired. Since buying it, we've been earmarking places to go (been to a couple already) and Devon is on the list. That way, my wife could enjoy a bit of Devon as well.

Doug
ps I'll move this to email so we can talk details.