Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spectre: Operation Cabin Fever  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Spectre: Operation Cabin Fever
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
Crooked Dice.
Cops (specifically Lawmen, Hero Cops, Tough Detectives, Detectives and LowLifes)
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/law-and-order

Hero Cop A

Minions
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/minions
Minion with SMG converted to Thompson SMG, Minion with pistol with MF3K pistol

Minion with SMG and Westwind US head.

Department X
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/department

X-Commandos and Hasslefree Ekaterina.
Time Lift Security (mainly the Man From 3000)
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/time-lift-security/

Female Scientist and a MF3K based detective.

More MF3K

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:29:13 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 01:50:23 PM »
Wargames Factory or Warlord Games Male Survivors.

The guy on the left is at a slight disadvantage, the Empress British infantry man has a base. The two L85s are similar size. William Killian for scale.

Female survivors

May Killian for scale.

They are multipart plastic figures.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Many thanks for the suggestions. Been playing around a bit of how to take better pictures, but seems getting focus is the problem. Either way I have soon put paint on all the Spectre miniatures I own, so will have to order some new ones soon!

I've also written up my imagination mostly, although contemplating if I should wait with posting that until I have more actual material to show for it.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
I have an elderly digital SLR that I use. It has an option to set the point of focus which helps if the autofocus decides that it prefers other things in the view.

Nice looking paint jobs.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
Been sketching on an imagination for a little while based on latin america and figured I'd toss up here what I have so far, if nothing else for me to look back on later. As discussed above I wanted to try and make for a compelling imagination not settled in the middle east area and after reading up more on the drug wars in the Americas that took my interest although I have come into some challenges far as appropiate miniatures and terrain is concerned. But below is what I have so far. Also much kudos to ChargeDog for being willing to let the Argo Corportation expand into Baja.

The Republic of Baja California (Baja)

History

The Republic of Baja California was formed during the chaos of the Mexican Revolution during the 1910s when a group of revolutionaries managed to seize the population centers Mexicali and Tijuana in the northern parts of the region. Establishing a revolutionary goverment with a liberal agenda they quickly went to secure the new border to Mexico going along the Colorado River by saboutaging the railways and bridges. Through the years 1912 to the 1917 signing Constitution of Mexico there was irregular conflict between the new republic and the federal forces of Mexico as Baja extended its influence throughout the peninsula. It is believed the young republic was receiving indirect support from the United States, who were hoping to annex the Baja California Peninsula.

In 1920 a ceasefire was agreed upon by both nations, allowing them to try and stabilize their respective regions. Baja entered into trade agreements with the USA, largely concerning their mining operations based in the southern peninsula and formed an official military with their aid as they starter gaining recogniziton as a new nation, with their capital Mexicali renamed Baja City. Through the following decades Baja continued to strengthen its relationship with the United States whose influence spread over the nation through to the 1950s. Domestically a section of Mexico-aligned revoutionaries calling themselves Ejército de Unificación Mexicano (EUM) based largely in the more sparsely populated southern peninsula had grown into a problem which culminated in a civil war between Baja and the EUM in the late 50s.

This outdrawn conflict lead to an increase in military spending within the nation, and in 1967 General Raul Arista who was a member of a party who were concerned about the increasing American influence lead a military coup where he killed or replaced much of the sitting goverment and installed himself as President before starting to sever relations with the United States. With the rising tensions with the United States, Artista approached the USSR fearing military action as had been seen in Cuba in 1961 and began to receive funding which allowed him to increase his military power and brought the Baja military into the modern age. Following this Baja became a hotspot for the duration of the Cold War, its location just at the border of the United States making it of interest to both world powers. Espionage became rife within the military dictatorship, sections of the goverment taking payment from either or indeed both sides as corruption grew and Arista tried to balance on a knife's edge to not commit fully to neither side to avoid coming into a military egagement with either side.

This shadow war and military tension continued through the next few decades with a number of politically charged incidents taking place on Baja soil. Arista was assassinated in 1983 and the perpetrator was never caught, a topic which remains charged in the nation to this day. EUM, USA and Mexico all popular candidates. Arista was replaced by Pedro Diaz Pezuela, a General of the Baja Armed Forces. Pezuela proved to not have the popularity of Arista among the nation's elite and what followed was an era of rampant corruption and conflict with the democratic minded revolutionaries calling themselves Partido Demócrata Baja (PDB). It is here many of the oldest cartels in Baja trace their history back among them the Baja and La Paz Cartels.

Following the Soviet Union's colapse in 1991 Pezuela lost the last of his influence in the goverment and was deposed in 1992 after a short short conflict and PDB came to power calling for a free election, with the backing of the United States and other countries in the western world. Since 1992 Baja has had a slow process of becoming a democratic nation, elections are held every six years although the goverment is considered weak in the face of the violent factions still present in the nation. The relationship with the US is a growing one, and Baja joined in with the United States and Mexico in the Drug War in an attempt to fight the powerful cartels who have been established since the 80s.

Present Day

Baja is considered an unstable nation and has the highest crime rate in North America. Several violent organisations remain in the country, Pedro Pezuela after having escaped execution in 1992  gathered a faction made up of defectors from the Baja Armed Forces that call themselves the Ejército Nacional (EN) who seek to reinstate Pezuela as the head of state. The EUM remain in the southern peninsula and still seek unification with Mexico while the various cartels of which the Baja and La Paz cartel are the largest remain active. The UN keep a peackeeping force in both Baja City and La Paz since 2007, and the United States and Mexico both collaborate with the Baja goverment in the War on Drugs with US law enforcement and military present in Baja to instruct and support.

As the violence in Baja continues the people have started forming local militias around the nation, to arm and defend themselves against the various rogue groups which has also lead to conflict with the state and cartels alike. Baja's economy is largely based on mining in the southern peninsula and manufactoring in the north which has become a special economic zone in an attempt to boost trade which sees many global actors present. With the violence present these global interests also commonly hire private military contractors to see to the security of their assets.

Factions

National Forces

Baja Armed Forces (BAF)
BAF is the official military of the Republic of Baja California and saw reform in the wake of the 1992 revolution, they are under constant severe scrutiny by the goverment. The majority of the army is still equipped with Cold War-era soviet weaponry, with some of their special forces having been supplied with equipment by the United States.

Baja Federal Police (BFP)
The BFP is a paramilitary law enforcement organisation which was created after the military was forbidden from acting against the civilian population after the 1992 revolution. Trained by US and Mexican law enforcement they are the Baja goverments main tool against the cartels.

Baja Local Police (BLP)
The local police in Baja is known for its corruption, many of them on the books of the cartels, sympathizers with the EN or EUM. Generally poorly trained and equipped, with an exception generally believed to be the police departments in Baja City and Tijuana.

Foreign Forces

Mexican Naval Infantry Force
The infantry of the Mexican Navy has had a long history with Baja around the Gulf of California. Since 2010 they have on occasional been seen in Baja taking part in anti-cartel actions linked to both Baja and Mexico.

US Military
The United States military is officially present in Baja mainly to instruct during the reforms of their Armed Forces. On occasion they have been seen working together with Baja forces against the local rebel and criminal groups. It is confirmed the US Special Forces are present in Baja.

UN Peacekeeping Force
The UN have been present in Baja from 2007 when after a series of bombings and attacks in Baja City and La Paz by the EN. The force today is said to be in the low hundreds and consists mainly of United States, United Kingdoms and Russian troops.

Irregular Forces

Ejército de Unificación Mexicano (EUM)
The Mexican Unification Army is a rebel group in Baja which has a history back to the early 20th century. Mainly operating in the southern peninsula which is historically closer tied to Mexico than the north they have become known for attacks on the mining operations which are a big factor in the national economy. Rumors remain that they are supported by Mexican interests.

Ejército Nacional (EN)
The National Army is a rebel group which was formed when the military dictator Pedro Diaz Pezuela escaped execution after having been deposed in 1992. A section of the Baja Armed Forces defected with the General and have been trying to set up the circumstance for a return to power ever since. It is rumored the EN is supported by interests in Russia and Cuba.

Local Militia
Local communities have started to create their own militias to protect themselves as the violence in Baja continues. These groups are extremely varied in their equipment and goals but generally keeps a distrust for the state and have been known to attack police and other goverment officials who they deem corrupt.
Intelligence

SVR
It is generally believed SVR remain in Baja following their long history with the KGB, although now against the goverment's approval. Of interest due to their close proximity to the United States, it is a common conspiracy theory that the SVR are in contact with the National Army to overthrow the democratic goverment.

CIA
The CIA are known to be present in Baja as part of their work against the drug cartels. So far they have remained outside the eye of the public and little is known about their operations in the country.

Corporate

The Argo Corporation
Argo was drawn to Baja during the creation of the special economic zones in 2008 and has since then also expanded into mining operations in the south. Following attacks by the EN their security has been increased and it is believed they look to expand further.

Crime

Baja Cartel
The largest cartel in Baja it was founded in Baja City in the 1990s following the death of Artista seizing initative during the unstable years following the dictator's death. Their operations include drug, arms and human trafficking as well as kidnapping and extortion and has expended into Mexico and the US. Currently lead by Carlos Martin Méndez.

La Paz Cartel
The second largest cartel in Baja, founded in La Paz in the 1990s. Set in the more sparsely populated southern part of Baja they are known for their smuggling into Mexico and the US via the sea. Their leader was killed last year and thus far it is unknown who leads the cartel now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:05:01 PM by Olsson »

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 06:56:57 PM »
Looks good! Nicely written, lots of factions for a scrap and plenty of background for any scenarios. Bring on the games!

one minor point, unless a chain of UK stores has formed a corporation, it's the Argo Corporation, not Argos

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
My bad! Fixed.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
Seems I missed a lot, really like your idea for an imagination. Looking forward to your take on Mexican Naval Infantry. And don't forget China might like to get its fingers into the Pie That is Baja.  ;)
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »
Run into a bit of a hurdle for now, I seem to have painted all the modern miniatures I have. Which is a first in any gameline, I made a sizeable order of some 30 miniatures in early December which are yet to arrive that I am starting to be wondering if they will at all, I don't recall any of my earlier orders taking so long although who knows how much of a mess things were over the holidays.

Been looking at a few guides for terrain and hoping to maybe get that going in the near future.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 08:48:07 PM »
Love the alternate history! I especially like the factions you've created...very believable world creation.

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
Love the alternate history! I especially like the factions you've created...very believable world creation.

+1 !!!  

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
Sounds good. I am sure that your package will arrive soon. The holidays play hell with international shipping.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 08:05:36 PM »
And of course the day after I mentioned the package it arrived. Way the world works! Managed to find the time to rinse and scrum them down a bit now, glued the reinforcements for the irregular forces to bases today, basing to do!

So gathered most of the more basic cartel/african/MENA range to work as cartel and various rebel forces. In total that element now conists of something around 18 assault riflemen, 3 machine gunners, 2 UGL riflemen, 1 sniper, 2 commanders. I also put in for 4 hostage miniatures and I have the sniper and dog w/ handler from the new British Special Forces kit, with the normal troop one to follow. Just figured I'd take the dog and sniper while avaliable since those always seem to sell like cake.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
Heh, I keep putting off orders with Spectre due to their stock issues. "Oh I can't justify the shipping costs now as x is out of stock" - x comes into stock "damn, can't order x as the thing I originally wanted is gone". They said they're sorting it out soon at least.