Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Abensberg in AB 18mm Napoleonics  (Read 14592 times)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
Re: Abensberg in AB 18mm Napoleonics
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 10:21:02 PM »
Very inspiring stuff. Coincidentally happen to working to the same OOB at the moment.

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »
@Ray Rivers. That seems like a pretty good plan, and one I shall do for my larger miniatures. Do you do it for figures 20mm and under.

@abu iskander. Fantastic news! How are you finding the diversity of units? What scale? What range? What ratio? So many questions - would love to know.

Hello all,

Still plugging away on my tiny little men. Got work done on some Wurttembergs. Though again I must apologise, as my basing has not resumed.

Wurttemberg Fusiliers

Cavalry, 2nd Regiment

And to prove I slapped some green on some lapels to fix my French light

Visit my little corner of the interwebs for more:
https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/01/09/whitby-wurttembergische-and-work/
Ramblings, tips and tricks on painting small scale figures: https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:44 PM »
@Ray Rivers. That seems like a pretty good plan, and one I shall do for my larger miniatures. Do you do it for figures 20mm and under.

@abu iskander. Fantastic news! How are you finding the diversity of units? What scale? What range? What ratio? So many questions - would love to know.

Hello all,

And to prove I slapped some green on some lapels to fix my French light

Visit my little corner of the interwebs for more:
https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/01/09/whitby-wurttembergische-and-work/

They look really good now. And you painted the metal work silver!

I'm going to bug you to paint the silver buttons on the habites though. It really makes the uniforms pop!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 04:23:44 AM »

I specifically use it for 15mm because once you base the mini it is a pain to get all the little spaces between the legs covered once the mini is on the base. It is pretty straight forward and quick when they are done individually before you glue them to the base.

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 07:23:13 PM »

Hey Jerry - Love the 1809 campaign for that diversity of units. I'm also doing it in 15/18mm, with a mix of ranges. I have a lot of the original Old Glory line from the 1990s, back when they came in a bag of 100+ and, at least the French Ligne, had nearly as many poses in it, including sappers and cantiniere. I've also got a load of ABs, mostly in the AH army, as well as a bit of Blue Moon (some of which are better than others, but they seem to have improved with their newer codes) and some Battlemodels. Comparably as good as AB in some codes, though not as crisply cast. It all seems to go pretty well together.

French are basically game ready at this point, though I still have work to do on the Bavarians and Wurttembergers - both very attractively uniformed armies. Austrians are...taking some time. All done in 1:20 so French line/legere BNs are 36 figures, as are the German AH, while I'm going for 48 figures for the Hungarian. Looks like you're doing the same.  I'll have to reactivate my Photobucket account and share some pix.

Again, great work. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:25:03 PM by abu iskander »

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words.

@huevans, I will - one day!
@Ray Rivers, I'll give it a crack for my next regiment. Cheers for the advice.

After a few questions were asked, I got together a tutorial for people interested in painting European faces on a very small scale.

You can read more here: https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/painting-small-scale-miniature-faces/

@abu iskander. Wonderful. The first small scale Napoleonics I purchased were OG, but they were just so soul destroying to paint. The scale of the figures and the deformity of the pose, really got to after a while. Props to you for adding life to them and getting them on the table. I went with the bigger battalions because Eureka use to sell Lasalle packs of 48 figures, with three skirmishing. I've just stuck to that, even now when I order by code. I'd love to see the collection, especially the Gemeine Soldaten unter dem Doppeladler.

- Kurt
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:38:26 PM by Inhaber Jerry »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
You have chosen the best figures in this scale . True classics and shows they never date.
Wonderful painting as well and composition.

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
@ Lysandros. Thank you for your kind words. Sometimes I can't believe there are people with the skill, determination and enterprise who cater for our obsessive little hobby.

Soldiering along and still painting. Though I have done less of my own work, and more commissions. However, I did manage to paint some single figures my fiance likes to keep in her studio. They enable me to practice before I start on something else, as well as slowly internalise collecting soldiers as a norm in our household.

In the meantime, I whacked together a little tutorial on painting off-white.
Link: https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/02/02/painting-off-white/

I used the same process on the figures here. The one thing I would do is go and paint some black wash into the front of the coat on the Austrians to bring about more contrast. I am very happy with the Italian, though.

I don't think I would use them on any more of the Austrians I have painted as I really like the cold white. But, I am thinking of using it on the French allied troops like the Saxons and Italians, when I one day get to them.

Cheers,

Kurt.

Offline Ben Waterhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 08:56:56 PM »
Wonderful figures, and many thanks for the faces tutorial, most useful.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
I use something like your face painting technique except with considerably less skill.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »
Hey All,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad my face tutorial could help Ben!

@Vtsaogames: I have been following your campaign in North Italy with interest, and really enjoy the strategic approach you and your group have taken. I think my face painting is almost ludicrous in the extreme. Almost. It's good to see some others are just as insane.

Update!

I have finally got around to basing my completed AB Figures. The first group I got onto was my König Chevau-léger Regiment for my Bavarian division.

My Allied divisions are made up of One 6 pounder cannon base, 2 line infantry units, one light infantry unit and unit of cavalry. Currently, one cannon represents a battery, but a unit represents a whole regiment and not just a battalion or squadron. I don't think I could bring myself to paint three 51 figure Austrian units to represent one regiment. There is only so much punishment one can take, which is why I have chosen to limit the approach.

Talking of Austrians, here is a work in progress shot.

You can see more on my Bavarian unit here:

https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/konig-chevau-leger-regiment/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 12:29:46 PM »
Still can't believe they are 18mm  :-*
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
I like the way you treat the white colours!
And your work on the Chevaulegers is impeccable!
Please, keep posting!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
Loving this thread, really top notch painting. :)

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Wonderful painting on great figures! Well done!
Earlier in the thread you asked if anyone had a good Prussian Blue. I use Liquitex artist color soft body,on my Calpe Prussians, it's very dark and easy to highlight. Just a suggestion.