Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 87119 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »
Hej, I think it's time I start a collective threat for all my stuff on here as well. :)

In this I will post minis i'm currently working on as well as older stuff I did every once in a while. For now though I'll start with something brand new: the 40k 8th edition starter box Dark Imperium.

First time I buy a 40k starter box since 2nd edition. Last game of 40k I've had was in 2013, I completely skipped 7th edition. Of course I often get out my own 40k figures, mostly to play various skirmish games (Tomorrow's War, Flying Lead, 5150:Star Army, a modified version of the brilliant Chain of Command, and so on. I really want to try Stargrunts2 as well, because it's said to be great.).

Anyway, all the changes heralded for 8th edition got me curious and I thought it may be time to look into the 40k rules again. A series of articles in which I take a look at the box and the new rules is currently being published on Tale of Painters. Parts 1&2 are online already, there are two more to come dealing with the rules and my opinion on them. After that I'll proceed to the miniatures in this box.

...and in here I'll get right to them. Somehow I thought up the idea of painting the minis in the box even though I neither own a SM, nor a Chaos army. During my >20 years 40k career I did collect both at some point, but then firmly went with Orks, Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard, all of them to this day even though they don't get out very often. Maybe this changes with 8th edition.

Now for some pictures:

...and some of the Primaris Marines built for painting:

I'll start with painting the Nurgle minis and then proceed to the Primaris Marines. The reason for this is that I have no idea how to paint them. Do you have any ideas for which chapter I should go for?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 02:06:22 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: Sigur in Space! - Dark Imperium
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
How comfortable are you with yellow?

I've always thought the Imperial Fists were a striking and underrepresented color scheme.

I'm going to do Space Wolves myself.

~Eric

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
How comfortable are you with yellow?

I've always thought the Imperial Fists were a striking and underrepresented color scheme.

I'm going to do Space Wolves myself.

~Eric

If you are going for yellow and under represented I've always favoured Lamenters. Yellow AND black and white checks? Lovely.

If I relent and pick up this box I'm swaying towards Crimson Fists.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »
Howling Gryphons... take that yellow a step further with red quartering :)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Are you guys just trying to torment me now? ;)

I really like yellow Marines. I've painted quite a lot of them in the past indeed. And I've always been partial to Lamenters due to their crazy backstory and great colour scheme.
This actually is the second vote for Howling Gryphons I got already.  o_o

Offline noigrim

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
plus, aren't those little hearts lovely  ;)?

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
I spent about four hours today building figures from this set and I've only got the Nurgle leader, the big drone and 6 Poxwalkers done. How did you do ALL of those so fast? Maybe I'm far too slow at removing all the mouldlines...  :D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 08:33:53 PM »
@noigrim: It takes another level of badassity to wear yellow armour with hearts on it. ;) But here's my actual theory: In 40k everything's adorned in skulls. All day, every day, everybody's used to it. To them a heart is the equivalent to what a skull is to us. So really remarkable and out there. :p

@Gibby: Oh yeah, I just leave'em on and photoshop them away in the end. I got a special filter for that. ;) Nah, I just got my set surprisingly early.

WIP of the Poxwalkers!

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 08:42:26 PM »
Sigur, I love the poxwalker skin. could you write a couple of words about how you painted them? thanks

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:05 AM »
How did you managed to paint them already !?  :o

Great unit. Could you post some close ups ?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
@driller: Thanks very much. :) I basically made the recipe up as I went along. The beauty of zombies or Nurgly things is that you can't do anything wrong really. Over the dark green primer coat I started on the skin with a mix of skin tone paint mixed with a little green and a little brown, applied that (not everywhere, more like a pre-shading thing), highlighted it roughly with  a lighter shade, highlighted everything by hand with almost white paint (all the boils, faces, most explosed bits), then I started applying various washes (brown, red-brown, green, purple, blue, whatever), most of them mixed with a little flesh colour. Did another coat of that, when I inked in some more shades where required, did the boils and that's is so far really. Now I need to do some additional details, mostly faces and those bloody tentacles and spikes those are going to be loads of work). So yeah, as I said: you can't do anything wrong really and don't be afraid to use colours. Stay away from black and dark brown washes as much as possible and instead go crazy with colours. Don't get them all mixed up either, because if you apply green followed by red you'll be stuck with something dark and uninteresting. Shake things up between the Poxwalkers, so each of them looks different.

@AWu: Thanks very much. I'll see that I can do closer-ups once they're done.

Update!

Now that the clothes and belts are mostly done. I can go on to doing the weapons and equipment.
Hope you like them and I'm still taking suggestions on what chapter to do for the Primaris Marines!

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
Thanks (again) for the very thorough answer!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
For the Space Marine chapter, I'd second Howling Griffons or another quartered scheme - really fantastic when done well.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »
Are you guys just trying to torment me now? ;)

I really like yellow Marines. I've painted quite a lot of them in the past indeed. And I've always been partial to Lamenters due to their crazy backstory and great colour scheme.
This actually is the second vote for Howling Gryphons I got already.  o_o

They do look really nice on the tabletop :) (A blog post... not mine, but very cool):

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t13482-pathetic-round-eared-space-barbarians

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »
Another Chapter that I like is The Scythes of the Emperor.

Good color scheme (I seem to be partial to yellow and black), plus if you care about the fluff at all they would be prime candidates for Primaris Marine reinforcements.

A question, if you don't mind: How do the Chaos Marines scale with the Primaris Marines?

Also, thanks very much for the plague victim color walkthrough. It will help a bunch when I paint mine.

~Eric