Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (AP 2017) English Civil War  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: (AP 2017) English Civil War
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Those guys look great. The more pics you post, the more sorely tempted I am to get into this sort of thing. Must fight it!

Those helmets look great. Not too shiny but still a real nice metallic look to them.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 11:18:37 AM »
It lives!

Well, sort of.

A massive case of Real Life (extended family health crisis) and other hobbies have meant that I haven't touched a paintbrush or rolled a die, pretty much, since the last time I updated this thread sometime in July. I did a little bit of scenery building but even that started gathering dust in early September.

Painting mojo has been regained, though, and I am renewing my attempt at actually getting all these ECW figures usable and on the table!

I sorted the ongoing infantry and realized that a bunch of stuff was really close to complete, so I cranked through the paint and flock they needed this afternoon.

That's a full unit of 12 pike on the far right, six musketeers to the left of them, six firelockmen (in yellow) on the corner of the cutting mat, all finished except for spray varnish!

The single figure in the foreground is the last green-coated musketeer I need to field a full unit of 12 greencoat musketeers finally, and on the far left of this photo is part of another unit of 12 musketeers in blue coats, to go with the blue pike finished ages ago.

I'm not working until January so I might actually get a full Pikeman's Lament force (24 points) entirely finished by the end of 2017 with a bit of luck...

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 10:50:45 PM »
Nice one, lovely colours on them and the basing looks good too.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
Great to see you back at this project.*thumbs up*

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
Good to see it coming together as a project. I did pretty much the same in my painting project, only getting some traction in December as I was off quite a bit.  Hopefully you get enough time to finish this year. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
Three days past the end of 2017 (but who's counting...) I've actually finished enough figures to field a standard 24pt Pikeman's Lament force, with some options and even sensible troop choices!

Two units of shot, two of pike, one forlorn hope (firelock skirmishers), and two units of regular horse, all painted, based, and flocked. They still need spray varnish, but I'll get that done tonight. Next up is a second set of six firelock musketeers and my first troop of six fully armoured cuirassiers for heavy cavalry punch!

I also have enough officers/sergeants/musicians/etc to give me some unit composition options as well as for characters for doing ECW-era Pulp Alley.

I don't yet have a photo of all the finished ECW figures together, but the blog has a couple of progress photos from the last few days: http://www.warbard.ca/2018/01/02/happy-new-year/

I'll try for a photo of everything all together this evening.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
 8) Nicely done!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
8) Nicely done!

Thanks! It's great to get this ECW force table-ready at long last, having bought the first figures for it back in early 2011!

Here's a quick and dirty late night shot of all the recently finished figures, having just been flocked.

Clockwise from top left, the yellow coats belong to six firelock musketeers. Then there's 12 horse in two troops of six, a dozen musketeers in green, a dozen pike in green, and finally another dozen muskets in blue.

The only finished unit not shown here is the dozen blue pike I finished in mid-2017.

Depending on how you field some of the muskets, this is 30+ points of stuff in Pikeman's Lament, with a standard game being 24 points a side. So not quite enough yet to put two complete forces on the table, but enough for a varied force with some options.

I've also finished some farm animals from Warbases.

There's a flock of big geese on a 40mm round base on the left, and two bases of Soay sheep. Objectives or just scenery... or possibly an unexpected battlefield hazard, given how psycho geese can be!

In progress right now are the first six cuirassier heavy cavalry, another six firelocks, six character/officer figures of various sorts, and some more farm critters, including two workhorses.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 01:25:15 AM »
Congratulations on the progress.  Looks like a nice force.