Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Horizon Wars Units  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
New Horizon Wars Units
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
Hiya all,

Not painted much this past week or so - bit busy followed by a bit hot, so I've spent my hobby time finalising some extra units I wanted to create for Horizon Wars. I wanted some stats for more 40k style units so I can play small Epic style games and a sort of Gorkamorka-mass-battle ('Ork Wars!') game I want to play.

If you fancy taking a look download the PDF from here and let me know what you think:

https://bladesandblastersdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/new-units-horizon-wars-formatted.pdf

I've put a few notes, but to be clear:

-You no longer get a 'free' CHQ, and CHQ no longer affects the presence of other units you buy. You just buy at cost and assign a CHQ gaining the usual upgrades a CHQ receives.
-You no longer ‘earn’ command resources. Instead you can buy up to 9 CR, 3CR for a point of Presence.
-Any P spent on CR is applied to your CHQ for momentum and intelligence purposes. For example, if your CHQ is Heavy Infantry (P2) and you spend 2P on 6CR, your CHQ is now P4 for momentum and intelligence purposes.
-Take note when assault units swap ‘Dig in’ for +1P in an assault, this matters!
-Assault brutes, Heavy assault brutes, Assault mobile inf or any unit with assault upgrade can still be CHQ.

Cheers - I'll post my first Ork Wars force along the way

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
Re: New Horizon Wars Units
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:17:14 AM »
Very logical adaptation! I look forward to seeing a battle report.

R.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:49:14 AM »
I quite like the assault troops rule variant, seems balanced enough and like it would see plenty of use.

I'm still musing on how to adapt some of the rules for my 6mm Miyazaki project, Roby, since your chiming in, how would non-alert infantry sound for those Napoleonic/ACW style lined up infantry blocks? Not sure how to balance that out, a bonus F might be appropriate to signify the volume of fire.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
Thanks both.

YPU - I'd be tempted to play around with a combination of dropping alert, reducing D (blocks are easy to hit, as opposed to loose formation infantry - which, to my understanding, is why infantry have high D) but perhaps upping A - do you see a block as being more durable than a squad?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »
YPU - I'd be tempted to play around with a combination of dropping alert, reducing D (blocks are easy to hit, as opposed to loose formation infantry - which, to my understanding, is why infantry have high D) but perhaps upping A - do you see a block as being more durable than a squad?

I agree on the D part, (that's the way I always read it as well) though it now occurs to me that as long as I'm fielding only blocks or creepy crawlies using the bio-war (or Ragnarok) rules I can keep those intact since there are no "regular" infantry units to compare it to. (well, maybe some skirmishing skirmishers as recons units)

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »
That's about right.  It also accounts for the presence of organic support within modern infantry elements.

However, obviously it wasn't written for that sort of massed battle as I have little expertise in pre-20th century tactics.  But the game was always intended to spark this sort of imaginative tinkering, so please, by all means, take it apart and see what you can do with it!

Robey