Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (AP 2017) 15mm WW2 US  (Read 810 times)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
(AP 2017) 15mm WW2 US
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Hello, embarking on the AP train

My WW2 US force is a long dating project, I've got my first minis probably in 2015, and started painting them about a year ago

The aim is to build and paint about an infantry company with plenty of support material, most miniatures are US soldiers with the late war jackets and greatcoats typical from the Ardennes Campaign. I'll be using the typical Flames of War basing scheme, which is: 4 figures or 1 weapon and crew per base

Almost all miniatures are from Battlefront (besides a vehicle or two), the minis are really great but I usually like to mix miniatures from other manufacturers to add more diversity. As far as I know, BF are the only ones to have greatcoat American infantry (the late war longer jacket is not much noticed at this scale), if any other companies are reading please consider doing this, instead of another batch of SS grenadiers (Although to be honest I don't think I need more of these GIs)
Regarding these minis, the only negative side are the gun crews which aren't sold separately - I really had to apply severe austerity measures when crewing most guns. The strange is, that battlefront has some packets with gun crews for most countries/uniforms but don't have for this one. BAR riffles were the same, I've got a good dozen spare miniatures armed with riffles but I can't form another platoon because I don't have a couple of GIs armed with BARs - and I can't resort to other manufacturers because they don't have them... well, just live with it, rant over.

I shan't be painting snow and white overalls because I prefer more generic painting schemes, and I really don't have much patience for scratch building and transforming miniatures, so...
SPOILERS: prepare for a long and dull Khaki/Green ride

Current state of affairs:
most of the basic infantry units are painted but not based, and I've started to paint a couple of vehicles (almost done but missing the decals)

What you can see: one and a half infantry squads; some command teams; some bazooka teams; 3in gun squad; a couple of observers and a couple of  artillery command teams; LMG and 60mm heavy weapons platoon; 3 81mm mortars - all presented in unbased glory

Some almost finished vehicles. These were painted with a brush, The next ones will be painted with an airbrush (which I'm still learning how to use)

now the unpainted stuff (all prepared for base coating):

from left to right, top row: Engineer section; some command bases: infantry squad; 2 105mm guns and crew; some bazookas; 3 57mm guns and crew; 3 81mm mortars and crew
from left to right, bottom row: Engineer section; engineer section; 2 105mm guns and crew; some bazookas; some bazookas; 3 57mm guns and crew; 4 HMGs and crew

Loads of vehicles, from tank destroyers and main battle tanks to recce vehicles. It's still missing a couple of sherman variants and trucks mostly (note to self: get a Chaffee, a Scott and some AA platoons)

General George S. Patton posing with some troops

Link to the album with other photos: https://goo.gl/photos/uPkodqxC7W1ThQkR8

NOTE: I'm not sure if linking google photos to forums works as it used to, if you're not seeing the photos please say, so that I can't host them elsewhere (or try to fix the links)
ANOTHER NOTE: Most of the photos were taken with my cell phone, another objective of this project is to try to get decent photos of the minis

enjoy! hope to get more photos soon :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: (AP 2017) 15mm WW2 US
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
 Nice work on the infantry models :)

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
If you can ever find any, Resistant Roosters made greatcoated US troops but they've been OOP for a fair number of years.

EDIT - they're (RR) back in production but not as yet the US figures http://www.resistantroosters.com/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:02:24 PM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:26 PM »
@Ballardian: Thanks :)
@Etranger: thanks for the heads up :)

meanwhile, I'm preparing the next batch of minis - hot gluing minis to corks in order to undercoat them next: the last of the 81mm mortars, HMG platoon, some bazookas, 4 M10 and a couple of light vehicles
On the painting station I've base coated 3 priest tanks and some M3 Half tracks

Meanwhile I think I need to order some more stuff  ;D

PS: I'm not sure if should be posting WIP pictures or if I should only post finished units... If so, just say so and I delete the images...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:42:15 PM by meninobesta »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »
Go for it Pedro. :D
Following with interest.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
Pictures are working  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
@Rui: thanks

now the update bit... been on vacations on the last weeks, haven't had the chance to properly advance with the painting
but luckily I've managed some time at home in the last few days in order to paint the minis from the previous picture

the green minis glued on corks on the top of the picture will be the next batch (currently drying the oil wash), while the painted ones on the lower part of the photo were finished today. Most probably I'll use the rest of the time until the end of the month basing, adding decals and varnishing the already painted minis

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »
The project is still alive, the 105mm battery is painted plus Patton's M20, a M10 platoon, a bazooka team and 2 more jeeps

I'm making a small detour to paint some ww2 romanians (mostly infantry and some support platoons) - I guess this will take the next couple of months and I'll pick up the US army again around late October (only a couple of platoons and a lot of basing are missing now)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:38:13 PM by meninobesta »