Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How Many Projects do you have on the go?  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Plampers

• Student
How Many Projects do you have on the go?
« on: June 21, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
Hi lead Adve

Recently realised I am a true addict when it comes to new shiny toys. It seems I really like most periods of history and rule sets! I think I have a total of about ten started projects around me, only managing to finish one in the last year (6pt Saga force :P).

So a question to you lead adventurers? How Many are you working on? Are you strong willed and do not start one until the previous is finished?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: How Many Projects do you have on the go?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
My discipline has been increasing as far as projects go.

What I would consider a major project: A table or two worth of terrain, painted miniatures for 2+ factions/groups/armies, ancillary stuff (tokens, dice, markers, rulebooks, etc.).  All of this must be fully painted/assembled/ready to play.

To this effect I only have maybe four major projects, most of which are at the above point.  The advantage of having a project "done" is that I can add a model or unit here or there as I progress without having to stress out over anything.  I'd much rather have 3-4 quality projects fully complete than a dozen small half-done projects.

I generally dislike playing a game with unpainted miniatures or inappropriate scenery, etc.  So this prevents me from allowing a project to sit unfinished (it either gets attention or gets sold off).  It would pain me to have 8-10 projects...none of which I could genuinely put on the table and play.  As such, when I start a project it gets one really big push to get it nearly playable.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Plampers

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
I do actually agree with that. It is bothering me at the moment, so I am making an effort to crack on  lol

I am the same wrt unpainted mini's. I can't stand it, but I hobby at home more than I get to game (small baby boy keeping me in line) so it doesn't impact too much right now. Hopefully Ill clear some of this back log when I get more free time :)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Too many for comfort, but at least not as many as you, which is encouraging in a way!

Most of my projects do not have an end as such, as there is always something more to add, so I am not sure whether any of them can really be regarded as finished. 

But in number terms, there are five on the go at the moment, ranging from 1/3000 WW2 naval in the Med to 28mm Back of Beyond, plus two that could be regarded as finished although they have been waiting for a very long time to get on the table.

And right now it is too damned hot to do anything about it!  o_o

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
Too many... if I had to guess, something like a dozen...  :o  some are using mainly pre-painted figures, so they're really just terrain and game accessories, but still.  I need to start finishing the smaller ones so I don't get more overwhelmed than I already am.  lol

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »
Way too many and none of them anywhere near any sort of completion! :(

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:40:15 PM »
Hmm ...

It really depends what you class as a project. I have five "permanently" on the go:

• 28mm fantasy skirmish
  • 28mm sci-fi skirmish
  • 28mm Hordes of the Things
  • 15mm RPG - which will also extend to Dragon Rampant as the forces amass
  • and - a new one - 10mm fantasy massed battle (Mayhem, S&SF and perhaps Warmaster)

But within those, I have a huge number of mini-projects. For example:

• Citadel Morrison hobgoblin HotT army
  • Citadel Morrison hobgoblin skirmish warband
  • Citadel Morrison half-orc skirmish warband
  • 15mm bugbear warband
  • 15mm goblin warband
  • 15mm kobold warband
  • 15mm serpentmen
  • 15mm adventurers
  • 28mm dwarf army for HotT
  • 28mm lizardman army for HotT
  • 28mm Moorcockian chaos army for HotT
  • 10mm orc army
  • 10mm reptile army

And so on. But the only projects with any urgency are the 15mms (as my son wants a massive multiplayer D&D game for his birthday party) and the 10mms (as we'd like to get playing Mayhem again and try out Warmaster). The others are cumulative affairs - a few dwarf elements might feature as goblin allies in HotT, for example, before there are enough of them to constitute a force in their own right.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:20:06 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
pretty much one at a time...that way i can be sure it gets near a state of completion

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
Indeed. That question that hangs over many a lives of who that frequent these pages. It is summertime and people sit back, relax 'n start thinkin' over a beer or wine about their projects. Or more precisely .... when they will be finished in such a manner that gaming/playing with them will be enjoyable. It is part of the cycle that keeps the second hand sections fiiled to the brim with loads of stuff and in that way creates the oppurtunity to start a new project rather cheaply. Most of these will never be finished and end up sooner than later in ..... well you get my drift. And before you ask ..... i have three (3) projects. One, fantasy is ancient. It started way back in late 1980'sor early nineties. For years it was the only project i had and there's a nice collection of these miniatures and assorted bits 'n bobs to play with. The second i started a couple of years ago when i re-surfaced in this glorious hobby, Vietnam. Fortunately i had the time to dedicate myself to it for a year or so and now there's a small but very nice bunch of miniatures. I'd say a good forty that is enough to do skirmishes between American recon and NVA in jungles of Laos. That jungle is also progressing very nicely. The third, and i still have sometimes ... some doubts about it ..... but i can always blame my friend Markiemark, another fellow LAF'er  lol ............is near future and was started just a year or two ago. This project is supposed to be and stay a quite simple operation; just of a bunch of Scotia Grendel commandoes batteling it out against some 'orrible critters. However, potentially there's the danger of this one stalling all for years to come. Am i fed up or tired with the hobby. No, not at all. Remenber i just started a few years ago anew. It's more a question of havin' been painting for many years and now i want to play  o_o . Nevertheless, all three of my projects are progressing at a satisfactory pace and are in a play-able stage. ;-)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:06:11 AM by Legion1963 »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »
I have 4 major projects which are effectively never ending, as I keep adding to them. They also have appropriate scenery etc:
28mm post apocalypse - the flavour changes year on year, but its still the same genre
28mm Arthurians/migration period
28mm 'late' old west
40mm moderns

Plus I have an almost complete 28mm Malayan Emergency project  (literally just need to finish a handful of figures), a pile of Quar which I really must do something with and a steampunky science fantasy set of viking/cossack musket welding mammoth herders and a few sundry idds and ends inspired by the Mortal Engines books
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:39 PM »
Well, yes. The great question...

In fact, at the moment I have exactly no properly live projects currently being worked on. I've not unpacked much hobby stuff since we moved house about a month ago, although I have started to repopulate my display cabinets.

Available hobby space is now much diminished from where we were before, and I'm having a prolonged moment of existential doubt about what to do now; not least because the process of moving made it very painfully clear how much hobby-related clutter and junk I had accumulated...and how many non-active projects I have.

If I'd answered this question two months ago, the answer would have been probably about a dozen (28mm Romans, 10mm Romans, 28mm Peninsular war, 28mm WWII (early war and late war), 15mm WWII (desert war), 6mm Austro-Prussian, 28mm Trojan war, and about four distinct fantasy projects; oh yes, and the early 16th century in 28mm...) with more in the background jostling for attention.

So for the time being, while I mull things over, most of my hobby stuff will stay in boxes in the garage. I'm going to allow two exceptions, though: 1) 28mm Dragon Rampant, for the imminent school holidays (my eldest boy is a strong fan and his brother is probably biddable... their small sister, well, we'll see...); but we need some more trolls & goblins; and 2) the early 16th century project, which was just getting to the fun stage when we had to move.

Just to illustrate the sort of instant distraction that always happens, though, last weekend I decided to unearth some 15mm fantasy stuff, just to see what I've got. We'll see where that goes...

Anyway, for the moment I'm rather enjoying not seeing ranks of half-painted figures perched on almost all my bookshelves; but I've not picked up a paintbrush for two months now, and that I do miss. Think I'll see how I get on with a small beginning before making any radical decisions.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
The short answer is too many!

Looking around my painting area I currently have the following:
10mm WSS for Black Powder
28mm Pulp 1920s for The Men Who Would Be Kings
28mm Darkest Africa for The Men Who Would Be Kings
28mm 16th Century Poles/Ottomans for Pikeman's Lament
28mm Rennaiassance for En Garde
28mm Orcs and Elves for Middle Earth (assorted rules)
28mm Lost City ruins (which double up for Frostgrave)
28mm generic mud brick village for North Africa/Middle East

However, I do try to concentrate on one project until I have enough figures/terrain to play a game.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »
Third Century Romans and Goths (have enough to play)
Romano Brits and Saxons (have enough to play)
Wars of the Roses (a bit of a back burner)
Darkest Africa tribes and Arabs (complete but have more)
Back of Beyond Russians and Chinese (complete but have more)
World War II 20mm Germans and Russians (complete but always adding to it)
Great War late war Brits and Germans, early war Germans (complete but adding more)
Spanish Civil War (have enough to play)
First Carlist War (have enough to play)

So a project is never finished you see  ;), started collecting the WWII stuff in 1994 for instance.
I also have Dark Age Irish in stock, ready for when Bill starts releasing his Vikings

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 09:28:47 AM »
A few:

- Jazz Age North West Frontier Romp, large table, Triumph and Tragedy rules
- Chicken Race on the Arumbaya, large Table, pulp setting using rules also rooted in T&T, but tweaked beyond recognition.
- Fallgrave, medium table, GoT themed terrain and figs using Frostgrave rules with new fluff
- Terror Incognita, large table, co-op 1920's polar pulp adventure with the intrepid Mr Bulshot, rules not decided upon
- "Attentatet i Pålsjö skog", alternate WWII scenario on a medium table using Swedish mechanized troops vs. SS Recon and Fallschirmjagers. Rules to be decided upon.
- Troll hunt in the Ettenmoors, small table, rangers vs.trolls and goblins using GW LotR /tH-rules

There are always a bunch of other ideas percolating in my minds but nothing I've committed myself fully to. I add the odd miniature or terrain piece "themes" like the crew of SS Xanthipe, The Duke of Nutherland Kennel Club, Pikeys vs. coppers, The Asylum of Monimasket