Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How Many Projects do you have on the go?  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Youngster

• Bookworm
Re: How Many Projects do you have on the go?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
Currently painting:
28mm British Light Dragoons for French Revolution period (mícro-project' -small collection to round out early Napoleonic British force)
28mm British Legion cavalry and foot for AWI ('micro-project' - slowly acquiring a loyalist contingent to use with friends' AWI collections)
28mm Union casualties, Berdan's Sharpshooters, and a 12 pounder and crew for ACW; (project nearly complete)
28mm Indians and rocket troops for War of 1812 Anglo-Canadians (project nearly complete)

In the pile:
1:56 WW2 Italians (tanks and a few infantry, North African project, nearly complete)
1:56 WW2 late war German vehicles (finishing off a Bolt Action army)
28mm Great Northern War Swedes (3 battalions infantry, 2 regiments cavalry, 3 guns - start of new project)
15mm 7YW French hussars and light infantry (will complete the project)

On order:
28mm 7YW Prussian hussars (to paint as Luckner's Hussars - will finish off my Hanoverian project)
28mm Union artillery limbers & horses

Cheers
Paul

Offline Wookington

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 01:54:46 PM »
Well, I suppose it depends what you define as a 'project', I don't think I actually have anything quite on the scale of some of the chaps here, but since I'm still by most standards only really just starting out give it time  :D.  Projects wise (by my definition of being actively in a 'project box'), I have 6 (well 7 but I am in the process of jettisoning one).  

I have:
28mm Anglo-Saxons for Saga (the first figures I ever painted and although all units are long since complete I made some fairly poor choices on basing, which I need to redo at some point).
28mm Early Imperial Romans (3/4 done, although haven't actually touched it since 2015 when I sailed past my original deadline to do it).
28mm French and Indian Wars (my largest and also almost completely unpainted, apart from some Rangers).
28mm Frostgrave (pretty much done apart from a couple of figures).
28mm Bolt Action British (I have collected everything together for it, but stalled out 6 months ago and haven't really got around to restarting).
28mm 16th Century Japan (my Sohei for Ronin/ToH are mostly done, my Samurai/Ashigaru are very much not)
(Getting rid of a 28mm Norman force that I got but then changed my mind on, that will inevitably magically change into a different Saga army at a Bring and Buy though)

I think the problem for me at least is that once I've stopped for whatever reason I find it rather difficult to restart, especially as various of my projects seem to be tricky to paint and so that much harder to get back into :'(

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
I embrace the butterfly side of things! I'd far rather do something vaguely creative in the evenings than slump in front of the TV, and the wealth of superb podcasts makes painting an attractive option once the kids are in bed (especially if my wife has work to do or some urgent Scandi-noir drama to attend to). So I feel no guilt in flitting between projects so long at they provide a bit of relaxation in the evening.

That said, I do try to get a fair bit of overlap between my projects. So, the 10mm wolfriders I've been working on at the moment will be used in 15mm Dragon Rampant, as the orcish riders work perfectly well as small orcs (about 4' or so) in 15mm. I'll use six stand of three riders to make up a unit.

In the same way, my 15/20mm bugbears will see some time as 28mm goblins for SoBH and, possibly, as 10mm giants in Mayhem and Sword & Spear. My 15mm ogres are actually 28mm Chronicle orcs. I'm basing up some 15mm Blood Dawn orcs as 10mm ogres and keeping others individually based for RPGs. But both will work together in Dragon Rampant. And a lot of the bigger monsters work across all scales.

Exactly this.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »
squillions.

Offline Khadrin Stonetooth

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 05:37:27 AM »
A project is to get me a nice modular table to play Song of Blades and Heroes in 15-18 mm.
Start a 18 mm dwarf clan and their ennemies, orcs, goblins, drows ...
Keep expanding my 18 mm villagers line. So far a pack of wood elves is ready, half orcs and orcs are on the way.
Will follow dwarves and halflings. And some adventurers...
And last but not least, start my own miniature brand "Khadrin's Miniatures" 18 mm fantasy miniatures suited for good ole RPG,
skirmish games and the like. If the french administration monster allows, you'll hear from it in the coming months !!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:44:47 AM by Khadrin Stonetooth »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
Am I the only person with only one project?

28mm late 15th century.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »

28mm late 15th century.

Yes! Consider your status as a "true wargamer" under review!  lol

"Actively being played but not currently actively painting figures or building scenery for:" Wirelizard, that's cheating to be considered in this thread. I could claim over 30 projects in that criteria.  ;)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 09:17:12 PM »
Current?  Oh, about 30 or so, with 3-4 being worked on in round table fashion at any given time...

VSF Norwegians, Martians, Germans, and Mercenaries
Pirates of many sorts and types
Pulp/WW2/WWW2
Far Future mixed bag
Postapocalyptic (this one never gets old)
Several fantasy armies - dwarf, goblin, orc (they are different for me), Brettonian, Arthurian
Genestealer Cult
Clan War Crane
Slaanesh Daemon Army
Superheroes
and such...
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »

28mm late 15th century.

You have lapsed, brother Charlie_link! God wants us to go fort an multiply our projects.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
The list is too long but counting only those who I can remember received some love(or paint) during the last two years:

28mm
Danish invasion of Sweden 1520
Sack of Rome 1527
Siege of Malta 1565
Snapphane guerilla war 1670s
GNW Finland 1710
SYW Battle of Gustow 1758
Massacre of the Swiss Guards 1792
Retreat from Åland 1809
Last stand at Gandamak 1842
Storming Chapultec 1847
Siege of Rome 1849
Draft riots New York 1863
Dybböl 1864
FFL vs Black Flag 1885
Japanese invasion of Taiwan 1895
Congo 1961

40mm
Mexican American War 1847
WW2

We (or at least me) are so easily distracted...

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »
Ok I'll jump into this post. I'm not counting collections that I have enough figures to play a game only the ones that I'm currently working on and don't have enough figures to play the current favorite rule set.

25mm Colonials for TMWWBK.
28mm First Nations for Flint & Feather.
28mm Vikings for 6 point Saga.
28mm LOTR for Dragon Rampant.
28mm Swedes and Russians for 18th Century A Gentlemans War
28mm Germans for CoC.

I'm stopping there digging deeper will only get me into trouble. One of my objectives for this year was to finish of several projects to the being able to play point. Changing rule systems doesn't help and sometimes getting a scenario book can cause more purchases to be made.

Offline Plampers

• Student
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
Seems we all have lots to be getting on with !

This is actually inspiring me to crack on and get some stuff done, which can only be a good thing. Only other problem is this thread has also caused me to look at other shiny things mentioned that people are working on. 10mm Fantasy caught my attention! Also Fusilerdan- Not heard of Flint & feather?! Uh o!

Plampers

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
I only have one project at a time; that way it gets finished.
Currently Darkest Africa for Congo; first two columns complete, two more to go.
Before that I finished off all my ancients stuff.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
I guess the natural follow up question to the original question. Would be.

When is a project finished?

I tend to never stop some projects. Because once you reach a decent army size you want to play with bigger armys and even bigger ones. And then HUGE ones!

My Viking project started life as a SAGA warband. That turned into a Lions Rampant army and now I aim to play Hail Ceasar with my Viking army.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
A project is finished when you've been using the figures to fight battles for several years and haven't felt the need to paint any more.
That's the category most of my stuff is in. My only problem is that I have so many finished projects that often a given period won't see action for years.