Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686449
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How Many Projects do you have on the go?  (Read 4005 times)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: How Many Projects do you have on the go?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
By these standards I only have two "projects".  That is 28 mm fantasy and 28 mm sci-fi.

However within those there are many projects on the go:
Chaos army
Undead army
Empire army
Orc and Goblin army
Dwarf army
Scenery
A Castle
4ground houses
A playing surface
Chaos marines (converted old beakies plus chaos renegades)
Imperial Guard (the old plastics plus some RT era metals)
Orks (mostly RT era)
Eldar (all RT originals)
Scenery including Deadzone buildings

So sort of two and sort of about a dozen.

Offline Plampers

• Student
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
It really does fill me with joy to know I am not alone lol. I think as of today, right here right now I am only going to purchase Hobby supplies, paint , basing material etc etc until I have got a few more to a playable stage. I am also going to focus on certain Rulesets for periods only. Focus is the name of the game!!

As it stands I have the following to work on...

20mm/1:72 Colonial for TMWWBK ( going well, almost a british force done)
20mm Modern
28MM Fantasy (was for AOS but probably be used more with Dragon Rampant) (includes dwarves and chaos force)
28mm WW2 Fallschrimjager
28mm Indian tribe for Song of Muskets and Tomahawks
1/72 Vietnam (I thought why not when I am making Congo Scenery anyway, Jungles Jungle right....)
Some Small scale ships for Galleys and Galleons
10mm FIW for SP2
28mm Imagination Napoleonic for SP2
a Very much stalled Warzone Project - 28mm Sci fi
Some Small planes for Bag the Hun (actually going to offload these to a friend lol )

When on Paper...It doesn't look so bad..Does it?

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
mmmm

At the moment I have a few on the go and probably need to focus on at least one of them to something, although the LPL helped this

At present have on the go:-
Hordes Trollbloods and Circle forces
Carnevale Vatican and Guild
28mm Italian wars
Batman

And these are just the ones I'm actively trying to work on with a number sitting in boxes waiting to be picked up again sometime in the future

Add to the ones that are niggling at my thoughts for future VBCW and something VSF then list could grow quickly

As a friend once put it a lead butterfly

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
So projects on the go

Napoleonic:
1) Last two Battalions of the British 4th Division for the Peninsular War specifically Talavera, to go with completed 3rd Division and Cotton's Light Dragoon Brigade.
2) Half of Fane's Heavy Cavalry Brigade for Talavera, when figures arrive.
3) Command figures for above.
4) 16th Portuguese Line Regiment to finish Pack's Independent Brigade for Peninsular War.

AWI:
1) Units for Sharp Practice, both sides.

Medieval:
1) Finish retinue for Lion Rampant.

On the plus side all figures are in the pile or on order.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »
Only two. I've only ever had two, really.

Since the early 90s I've been (very slowly, with much distraction along the way - hello MtG!) trying to get decent sized armies for all 6 of the 2nd ed. Space Marine (epic scale) factions. Eventual goal is 40,000 pts worth across all 6 factions. So cheesy, but I was young when I came up with it.

A Confrontation/Rogue Trader project of 600 minis, spread across 50 factions. At least, that is what I started it as in 2004, it seems to have turned into the project of getting as many unreleased Citadel miniatures as possible. :D But I have to find a way to fit each new acquisition into the project, and sell the mini it displaces.

So even a very small number of projects over decades = never ever close to completion  lol

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
I tend to try to do projects in little 'sprints' using a project tech term. So I may have various larger projects on the go but try to finish something within a week or two. That helps me show progress to myself. I use my blog (https://mellis1644.wordpress.com) as a driver for that as it keep the morale up & focuses on what I have finished. These all are part of never larger ending projects (is any project ever really done), but I get the personal satisfaction of finishing something every so often.

Of course I have just started a huge ww2 german army project and have somewhat broken my own rules for that, to ensure they all are based the same but that's a different story.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline soldado

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
2x WW2 28mm armies
2x WW2 15mm armies
1 SciFi 6mm army
1 large Pulp 20s/30s project
1 smaller, but getting larger, modern pulp/ spyfi project
about 15x 15mm scifi armies (I really must reign this in its ridiculous)
2 dropzone commander forces
Thinking about a saga force, another 6mm scifi force, maybe 40k and 2x 6 or 10mm fantasy armies.

I think thats it possibly.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Let's see...

Actually Properly Active Projects:
28mm English Civil War/Thirty Year's War - the only project I'm actively buying or painting figures for at the moment or building scenery for. The scenery will cross over to 28mm pulp eventually, as well.

Actively being played but not currently actively painting figures or building scenery for:
28mm interwar pulp - ongoing but basically built out, I have loads of figures and loads of scenery.
Infinity sci-fi (32mm? whatever...) - ongoing, I have loads of unpainted stuff but also loads of painted stuff, so it's become a bit of a slow-burn project. Lots of scenery too.
28mm Russian Civil War - ongoing in the sense that I have unpainted figures around for it, but both Red and White forces are built up to a thoroughly playable point and I have enough scenery that I've no plans for anything new.

Around but not currently actively being played, built, painted, etc:
15mm science fiction - although this might bubble back to active after years in storage as some of the local club are playing various rules.
28mm fantasy - I have small skirmish forces (Songs of Blades & Heroes-sized, so 6-8 figures), a small stockpile of unpainted stuff, and a couple of pieces of fantasy-specific scenery.
28mm Blood Bowl - 90% finished Goblin team, some figures I intend to convert to a Chaos team, figures around somewhere for an Amazon or human team, a couple of finished teams, one finished pitch, and an unfinished second pitch.
6mm science fiction - haven't played or done anything with this stuff in over a decade, not sure it really counts anymore but I still have figures and some scenery!

So, eight projects, only one of which is really actively being painted or built for at the moment, and several of which cross-pollinate to some extent, especially on the scenery side.

I keep thinking about WW1 in 28mm as an expansion of the RCW stuff, or in 6mm or 10mm for that larger scope. So far I am resisting all of these urges!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:26 AM »
Right now? Let's me see (all in 28mm):

- Successors/Macedonians
- Late Roman Empire
- Dark Ages (only odds and ends, as I have most of what I need, but some archers and at least a unit of horse would be welcome)
- Indian Mutiny, for Sharpe Practice.

Also I have two 15mm Crusaders and Muslim armies that are almost complete. Just need to paint a couple of Muslim light horse units -Seljuk Turks, actually- and a couple of Christian infantry units to finish them. Of course, being a professional procrastinator means that only God knows when I will do it!

Offline Plampers

• Student
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 06:14:56 AM »
Enjoying this thread immensely. Seems us wargamers have the attention span of gold fish :D

I did particulary enjoy the 15x 6mm sci fi armies someone had lol  :o

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
I have the attentionspan of a butterly when it comes to hobby projects. And this forum is not helping - at all >:(
In fact i think it is actively making my attentions span worse because of all the cool stuff on here.

I dont know if I have any major projects. I have gotten into a nice rythm where I can take my butterfly attentionspan and flutter from one project to another and actually finish something as I have a lot of stuff one painting session away from being done.

But currently on my desk there are the following:
28mm Baltic Crusades
28mm Mycheneans
28mm Landsknechts
28mm Vikings
28mm Modern
6mm Modern

And a bit of scenery of various sizes for all of it.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »
At 67 I have decided to start no 'new' projects, given that all my projects in GHQ long ago reached gameable levels. Now I only buy and paint things which take my fancy, very liberating it has been too. Currently I'm working on Burma 1943 Ghurkas, FRW British generals and French camp sets, F&IW Indians and French Canadians, while next month it will be VBCW additions. After that who knows, or even cares? But I recognise the answers above, after all, I've been there too...
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
All in 28mm I have:-

Greek hoplites – Bought all the figures. Painted about half so enough for a game.
Byzantines – Bought nearly all the figures. Painted over two thirds so also enough for a game
Russian SYW – Bought half the figures but not started anything
WW1 British/US – Bought all the figures. Painted over three quarters.

I also have an AWI British army (painted by a friend) and an AWI American army (which I painted) that I regard as finished so I don’t regard them as ongoing projects.

I have made the mistake in the past of having too much on the go, being a butterfly and also susceptible to the seduction of manufacturers army deals, but multiplying my low painting output by the number of figures I had made me realise some of these projects might see me off even though I am only 50, so I have had to rationalise matters.
At least all but one of the above are in a gameable state so I don’t feel too pressured into painting.

My main issue is lack of gaming opportunities/people to game with which is making me think about giving it all up completely.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
Epic (6 forces, about 8 companies for each)
Dropfleet gothic (imperial, chaos, eldar, nids)
Dreadfleet o'war
Bloodbowl (6 teams)
Space hulk 3D (25% done, plus stealers and deathwing to do)
inq 28 (hundreds of minis to go, plus the scenery)
Dungeon project (3d boards plus undead, skaven, dark elves, night goblins)
Oldhammer (dwarves, empire, wood elves, savage orcs + forest gobs)
Rogue Trader skirmish (orks, marines, squats, chaos, cultists)
Dark Angels for 30k
Cultists for 40k
Nurgle plague horde
Imperial guard (acquired the original plastics box)
Truescale deathwatch
Realm of chaos skirmish (4 factions obviously)
Fantasy FIW rules

I'm finding it pretty depressing and hard to find motivation if i'm honest, but i can't see cutting any of it  :'(

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
I embrace the butterfly side of things! I'd far rather do something vaguely creative in the evenings than slump in front of the TV, and the wealth of superb podcasts makes painting an attractive option once the kids are in bed (especially if my wife has work to do or some urgent Scandi-noir drama to attend to). So I feel no guilt in flitting between projects so long at they provide a bit of relaxation in the evening.

That said, I do try to get a fair bit of overlap between my projects. So, the 10mm wolfriders I've been working on at the moment will be used in 15mm Dragon Rampant, as the orcish riders work perfectly well as small orcs (about 4' or so) in 15mm. I'll use six stand of three riders to make up a unit.

In the same way, my 15/20mm bugbears will see some time as 28mm goblins for SoBH and, possibly, as 10mm giants in Mayhem and Sword & Spear. My 15mm ogres are actually 28mm Chronicle orcs. I'm basing up some 15mm Blood Dawn orcs as 10mm ogres and keeping others individually based for RPGs. But both will work together in Dragon Rampant. And a lot of the bigger monsters work across all scales.