Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: painting arab skin?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
painting arab skin?
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
sorry if this been asked before
but i really need help with painting a lightish arab
flesh tone any suggestions using gw paints would
be of a great help
cheers
ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: painting arab skin?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Depends on your painting style but I would - VGC colour names so you will have to look up on those equivalent charts...

Scorched brown
Add Beasty Brown and just work up to neat BB as the highlight. 

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
I've really come around to Tallarn Flesh from Citadel's Foundation Paints range. Found it difficult to work with at first (it's quite gloopy, even as you open a fresh pot of it - I guess they've loaded it with more pigment than most paints), but now I've learned to water it down just right. My figures in the "Ghassan & Zahira" thread (in the Fantasy section) were painted with a Tallarn Flesh + black basecoat and straight Tallarn Flesh highlight.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "lightish" flesh tone to you. I think it would be lighter than Orctrader's colour scheme, but there are lighter ones still.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »
cheers
ace67

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
I think Tallarn flesh would be much too light. I use it for my more 'white' skin tones, personally. Though it's a lot more dark than say Elf flesh ;). Like Orctrader said, "Depends on your painting style."
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:24:52 AM »
Calling Tallarn Flesh much too light sounds strange to me. I think of it as a mid-dark flesh tone. Many Arabs aren't all that more dark-skinned than Europeans, and I frankly think that by using Tallarn Flesh, I'm painting their skin unrealistically dark (but I'm ready to live with some generalizations, since I want to cut down the number of skin tones I use - this same tone is what I use for Indians, Berbers, Turks etc.).

Anyway, the original request was for a "lightish" Arab flesh tone.

Incidentally, Tallarn Flesh is also what I've begun to use for a basecoat when painting European skin. This is because I use Dwarf Flesh + white for the highlight, and I've found that when mixing Dwarf Flesh with a small amount of black, you get almost exactly the same colour as Tallarn Flesh. Note that whereas Tallarn Flesh is my basecoat for European skin, it's my highlight for Arabian skin, so my Europeans still turn out lighter-skinned than my Arabs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:40:20 AM by Rhoderic »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:13:44 AM »
I suppose you're right. I too use Tallarn flesh for European skin tones, but I've been following a stereotype with Arab skin tones it seems :?. I though more darker tones were what was being talked about. Mostly though, it's prolly just that Tallarn flesh is the second lightest skin tone I use with tanned, dark, and really dark on the dark side of the scale.

Ah well, I'll shut-up now and let you fellows paint :).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »
I also use Citadel’s Foundation Paint Tallarn Flesh for Arab skin The two figures on the left were painted using a base of Tamiya’s Flat Brown and then a layer of Citadel’s Tallarn Flesh. No highlight were added. Hope that helps.

A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
Come to think of it, it was Calimero who first got me using Tallarn Flesh in this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8343.0.

The same thread also suggests Foundry's Dusky Flesh which seems like a nice colour, but I don't subscribe to the whole "paint triads" idea and wanted paints that were easier to replenish (ie. Citadel or Vallejo).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
...Come to think of it, it was Calimero who first got me using Tallarn Flesh in this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8343.0. ...

:o My god!

I’m only 36 and I’m already starting to repeat myself…  lol

Offline Lord_Eddard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
Use a brown base, for example GW bestial brown and highlight it adding bronzed flesh. Don´t use colours with too much white, like ivory, bleached bonne or elf flesh, or you will get a pinky tone.

You can finnish the skin with a wash of scorched brown. I use to mix it with Vallejo Glaze Medium to obtain a better dilution than with only paitn+water.