Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Konflikt '47 Season. 9/21 Sikhs assembled and primed.  (Read 14454 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
I'm doing Konflikt '47!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:42:02 AM »
As I noted in the first post, I'm going to turn this topic into my project log.

My starter box arrived and I did a brief unboxing post.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/07/09/konflikt-47-british-army-starter-set-a-brief-unboxering/

Pretty impressed with what's in there.  

Also had a chance to give the rules a shot for the first time, with some of my friend's USA figs.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/07/07/aar-konflikt-47-pincer-attackprotect-the-base/

I didn't hold up by flank well, but it definitely showed me that these are rules that I like and I elaborate on that in the post above.

I've already assembled all the British Troopers. They're on the Champ Industries bases with the West Wind gas masked heads.  I'll get some pics of them up at some point.    Unfortunately a big terrain commision job has taken most of my hobby time but I hope to have some major progress (maybe done?) before our next K47 game in 3 weeks.

I've ordered a second batch of British Infantry. They will get Gas Masked Helmets with Turban Heads (From Ramshackle games) so I'll have a Sikh platoon!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:44:27 AM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47!
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 04:06:25 AM »
Need some advice...

I'm currently assembling the Automated Infantry from my starter set. They're currently armed with one HMG and 4 MMGs but I could easily convert them all to HMG's. I don't plan on buying more for a while and mixed doesn't make much sense to me so I'm going to go with one selection or the other.

Looks like the HMG has 3 shots but gives you a +1 to penetration and costs 20 points more per fig.  The MMG has 4 shots but gives no penetration bonus.

Which should I choose?

Offline rabenga

• Librarian
  • I will paint that eventually...
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (7/29 Need some Machine Gun advice...)
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 04:29:21 AM »
I prefer the hmg.  The damage helps get infantry in cover.  dosent matter how many shots you have if you can't kill any man's!
Remember the patina!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
My thoughts are it depends what you are facing.

If it is Totenkorp, you need dice, lots of dice. They are tough so get a saving throw, the HMG is not powerful enough to negate it. They are also inexperienced so eliminated on a lower roll.

If it is heavy infantry or Schreckwulfen, then HMG is the way to go, both are vets (snigger on the latter) and the heavy infantry are resilient with the higher damage value. The PEN modifier is really useful.

Other units are more complicated (venturing heavily into statistics/mathshammer territory) so someone who knows that stuff can answer.

I might be reading it wrong, but I read it (page 50-3) the PEN modifier affects the damage roll not the hit roll (which is affected by cover). This might have been changed by an errata I do not know about.

For me, I would build the unit for my view of their use, massed MMG in support of infantry against massed threats or as mobile HMG support against heavier threats.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 07:55:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice, folks.

I think I'll go with HMG's.  In my simple strategy, I think I'll pay a bit in points to put some higher-pen weapons on the table even if it shoots a couple less shots. Also, Brits don't have access to HMG teams the way that the Yanks do, so this might be the only way to put infantry HMG's on the table.

Offline seamoose

• Bookworm
    • Ain't over til I'm out of plastic
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 11:42:54 PM »
Something to keep in mind, when their next book covers a out in October light and medium machine guns are apposed to get the same buffs they did when Bolt Action 2 came out so your unit of five robots with medium machine guns could be shooting 25 shots in the near future.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 01:54:20 AM »
Good to know!

I've ordered this pack...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Armorcast-28mm-1-48th-Pewter-WWII-US-Vehicle-Mounted-50-cal-Machine-Gun-8-pcs-/121815110903?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275
...of armorcast 50 cal MG's.  I'll probably use them and save the other bits. I can always go back and swap them out later if MMG's become great.

It'd be wierd if MMG's got a buff and HMG's didn't.  Right now it seems just barely worth it to pay the extra 20 points per fig to get the HMG's since you get one less shot and only +1 pen.

Offline seamoose

• Bookworm
    • Ain't over til I'm out of plastic
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »
But that +1 pen allows you to start suppressing vehicles and and making tougher infantry sweat a little more

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
Depending on how the machine guns connect to the arms, it might be possible to magnetize the guns, so you can easily swap.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 09:34:58 AM »
Depending on how the machine guns connect to the arms, it might be possible to magnetize the guns, so you can easily swap.
They are incredibly spindly robots, they are "held" in a human type manner (other people have had issues getting them to stick together due to small contact points - my Clockwork Goblin ones have been taken out of the pack, looked at and put back numerous times while I consider assembly).

The supplied guns look oversize (YMMV).

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
Yeah, these are about the worst figs for magnetization.

The MMG's don't seem too outsize, but I'm not too knowledgeable about the MMG size.   If I stick with MMG I might put a couple of them on tri-pods for some infantry firepower.

But that +1 pen allows you to start suppressing vehicles and and making tougher infantry sweat a little more

That's a good point.   I'll post some pics of the 50 cal's when they arrive.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
Okay.
Now, a quick measure shows the CWG M2 is about 35mm long, which at 1/56 is 1960mm

Now Wikipedia says the length is 1654mm, which gives a calculated scale ~1/47, so it is probably 1/48.

The Vickers is about 25mm, Wikipedia gives a length of 1120mm, which makes it about 1/45.

Two comparison photographs (other manufacturers can of course not be right as well).

Compared with Empress:

Compared with Italeri 1/35.

Other photographs, including the original Clockwork Goblin figure components (current version may vary).
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/automated-infantry-weapon-system.html

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:29 AM »
Thanks for that.  I expected them to be bulkier, but I didn't expect them to be longer by around 1/4 compared to their intended scale!

Doesn't bother me particularly if my robots have oversized guns. However, if I was playing a historical game like Bolt Action I might well be a bit annoyed.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Sounds like the ones you ordered should match the existing ones (I assume the Warlord Games figures do not have both weapons for each figure).

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 01:20:59 AM »
We'll see.  The ones I ordered are from Armorcast and the pics don't give any indication of actual size.

As for the weapons included with the Automated infantry, my 5 robots came with 4MMG's and 1HMG.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:28:15 PM by eilif »