Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Konflikt '47 Season. 9/21 Sikhs assembled and primed.  (Read 14449 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (7/29 Need some Machine Gun advice...)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
The URL did say 1/48.

I look forward to seeing them.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (7/29 Need some Machine Gun advice...)
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
They amorcast 50 cal's arrived today.  Here's the comparison shot. They had different length handles so I lined them all up with the back of the reciever of the weapon.

First measurement is whole weapon, second is weapon minus the handle, third is the length of the reciever without heatsheild, barrel, or handles. I know that's alot of numbers, but the last one might actually be the best for figuring scale most accurately
-Top is the Armorcast 1/48 50 cal- 33mm, 31mm, 11mm
-Middle is the Automated infantry- 33mm, 30mm, 13mm
-Bottom is the Vehicle mounted 50 cal from coyote walker kit- 28mm, 26mm, 11mm

I didn't figure the proportional scales but it looks to me like the 50 cal from the walker kit is probably the most accurate for 1/56.  The Armorcast gun is actually almost exactly the same scale, but it is slightly chunkier (mostly noticable in the heat sheld) and has a longer barrel.  

As for the Automated infantry guns, based on the length of the reciever it's definitely the largest of the batch. Probably bigger than 1/56 should be. However, the bulk thickness and depth of the gun is about the same as the armorcast and the shorter barrel results in the same overall length.  Thus, I'll use the included 50 cal alongside the armorcast 50 cal's in my automated infantry units.  Also, though they are slightly larger in scale, I'd be fine using the amorcast 50 cal with my 1/56 vehicles, on tripods with infantry, or other applications.

Here's another shot of the armorcast 50 cal.  Note that the ammo box is on the opposite side when compared to either of the warlord games version. This is accurate, as the real M2 can be changed to either configuration easily but is worth noting. I'm not sure yet how it will affect my figures.   I think it will look more accurate though.  

The stock automated infantry models are arranged with the ammo box on the outside which when fired from the right hand (as they are casted) would eject the hot spent shells all over the firer.  Even for a robot that seems silly.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:36:21 PM by eilif »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (8/3 Armorcast 50 cal comparison)
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »
Useful to know. Thanks.

So the Warlord Automated Infantry gun has the left hand moulded on?

Your comments about the ammunition box made me think, the Vickers just has a dangling belt, no ammunition box.

The manpack Vickers from Westwind at least has a magazine (though not sure how long that would last).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:54:39 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
Useful to know. Thanks.

So the Warlord Automated Infantry gun has the left hand moulded on?

Your comments about the ammunition box made me think, the Vickers just has a dangling belt, no ammunition box.

The manpack Vickers from Westwind at least has a magazine (though not sure how long that would last).
You're welcome.  
Yep, both hands are molded onto the weapon. Shouldnt' be too hard to cut them loose though.

The MMG (Vickers?) also has the ammo belt on the outside.  This seems to be a common thing in non-historical wargames minis.  Sculptors seem to think it's better to have the "cool" ammo (belt or magazine) hanging out in "front" even though it's wildly impractical and would spray hot brass all over the firer.  Of course it's a bit easier to swap the side of a charging handle and ammo belt than to cutaway and move a box mag.

Now that I think on it, I many even cutaway the lone Warlord HMG that I have and use just the Armorcast HMG's.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:09:06 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 12:04:07 AM »
Finally got some work done on my Brits.
Most of my stuff is at least assembled and basecoated.

I'm pretty happy with the way the plastic Champ Industries basses looks with just a few bits of concrete patch rubbed on.  It's a really fast and cheap basing solution, especially for the plastic figs that glue on so easily.

Modest progress on The Cromwell and walker as well.

More pics and description here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/10/02/konflikt-47-british-in-progress/

Once I finish these I will have a unit of 20 Sikhs and the Autonomatrons to assemble and paint. After that I might add another vehicle and possibly paint up some Paratroops (just because I like the figs) but the army will be essentially finished.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:34:05 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (10/3 Brits Assembled and basecoated)
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »
Took my mostly painted K '47 British out for a little battling...

...against some Nazis...

in a suitably gothic setting.

And of course there were some monsters.

More pics and details here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/10/06/aar-konflikt-47-brits-vs-occult-germans/

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (10/6 Brits Vs Occult Nazis AAR)
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Warlord is releasing the new Japanese starter box with a Scorpion mech, a tank with a "compression cannon" and a few exo armored troops as the Weird part and it comes with an A5 version of Konflikt 47 rules, but...

Maybe I'm wrong...I hope I am, and Warlord seem like a smart company..

BUT

If the Japanese forces rules aren't in the old Konlifkt 47 book but are in the new Resurgence supplement which does not come in the starter box, conceivably someone could buy this thing and not being able to play their army out of the box, and have to scramble around online to get stats and stuff.

The expensive Finnish army set can't have this problem except perhaps point costs because other than ski troops(which might as well just be troops in unusual gear) they are basically just a dressed up SS army, with maybe their own odd national rules in place of the German ones. 

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Warlord is releasing the new Japanese starter box with a Scorpion mech, a tank with a "compression cannon" and a few exo armored troops as the Weird part and it comes with an A5 version of Konflikt 47 rules, but...

Maybe I'm wrong...I hope I am, and Warlord seem like a smart company..

BUT

If the Japanese forces rules aren't in the old Konlifkt 47 book but are in the new Resurgence supplement which does not come in the starter box, conceivably someone could buy this thing and not being able to play their army out of the box, and have to scramble around online to get stats and stuff.

The expensive Finnish army set can't have this problem except perhaps point costs because other than ski troops(which might as well just be troops in unusual gear) they are basically just a dressed up SS army, with maybe their own odd national rules in place of the German ones. 
Yeah, Finns and Japanese will have to buy Resurgence separately.  That could prove awkward.

It's  reasonable to expect existing players to buy Resurgence if they want access to new units.  Not as nice for Finn and Japanese players to have to buy a second rulebook just to play, especially when it's not openly stated that they will have to do so.

I'll be curious to see if Warlord makes stats for the units in each set available on an included sheet or as an online document. Either of those would be a good fix. 

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »
Cheap Tanks!

Knocked out a few TimMee M48's recently.  They were originally just testbeds for camo schemes, but they looked good enough and the scale looked close enough that I decided to finish them off quickly with contrastting wheels/tracks and a quick drybrush. Most folks associate these with classic 1/32 toy soldiers but the dimensions are pretty darn close to 1/56.

Clearly a bit futuristic to see an early 50's M48 in WWW2, but technology makes jumps in most wierd war settings and I could always proxy it as an M26 or M47.  At the very least they'll be nice painted proxies for whatever a tank a given player wants to try out.

Full rambling review and more comparisons and pics here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/10/11/cheap-tanks-for-weird-wars/
I also show a couple of resale shop toy tanks I found that haven't been modded or painted yet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:39:18 PM by eilif »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (10/11 Cheap tanks painted up.)
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »
@eilif: just seen your pre-paint method for the Cromwell, very good. For Rubicon models I leave the chassis part separate so I can spray the hull and turret with the base colour, it is not so easy with the Warlord models. Your way makes a lot of sense.

I did notice your infantry are in the same colour as the tank.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »
Those M48s look okay.you might want to add some stowage to give them some personality.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
Thanks!
It really simplifies things when I actually think ahead enough to paint separately.

Yeah, the infantry should be more brown and the tank more green, but I overcompensated for the darkening factor of the dip on the figs.  The Cromwell and walker will get the same really heavy ruddy brown washes that my post-apoc vehicles get, so the end result will be quite different from the figs I hope.

As for stowage I was just thinking the same thing. When I add stowage to the Cromwell (possibly to the walker also) I'll probably do up a few pieces for the M-48's.  They were really just paint testbeds that I decided to finish off, but they're really growing on me so a bit of personality would be worth it.  I've certainly got enoungh random stowage bits to give them some.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
The shade/dip does change the colour noticeably.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97132.msg1202829#msg1202829
The Sherman and Stuart were both sprayed with PSC British Tank spray, the Stuart received more Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

British infantry had a very brown uniform colour.

This Warlord Galahad suit was sprayed with PSC British Tank spray but the material was painted with Vallejo English Uniform brown.
adventure.de/index.php?topic=97218.msg1217062#msg1217062

I might have used a darker green for the plates on these Westwind Heavy Infantry.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97218.msg1231248#msg1231248
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:50:29 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2017, 12:24:51 AM »
Did a bit more work on my British Infantry.  

Also took the opportunity do offer a bit of a review and comparison between the metal and plastic Bolt Action miniatures.  Full review here: https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/10/13/review-konflikt-47-british-infantry-nearly-done/

Since these pics I've dipped them so it shouldn't be long before I put up a finished post.

Have a nice day!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (10/13 British troops pre-dip and reviewed)
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2017, 05:27:41 PM »
The comparison article is interesting, thanks.

The BEF troops will be in a different uniform (so I am told).

Where I have had integral bases, I used a razor saw to remove the base then pinned and glued them to the bases.

Of course for Weird War, I have followed Westwind's basing and used the lipped bases.

I look forward to seeing them once dipped, the green is certainly more muted.

I love the pose of the officer tipping his hat.